Carnival Cruise - Minimizing the damage

Options
So last time I went on a 5 day cruise, I worked out once a day and managed to gain only 2 lbs. I consider that a victory. The sea sickness helped. And I worked out every day. I wasn't on MFP back then and it wasn't until I joined MFP that I realized how much crap I was eating.

Now I'm about to go on a 7 day cruise (it was either this or Disney). I will not be bringing a laptop or any mobile device to log my calories. According to the gym staff, the standard cruise-goer gains 1.5 to 2lb's per day. I refuse to accept that. Any advice out there?

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I say, watch your portions, and enjoy your cruise :)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So last time I went on a 5 day cruise, I worked out once a day and managed to gain only 2 lbs. I consider that a victory. The sea sickness helped. And I worked out every day. I wasn't on MFP back then and it wasn't until I joined MFP that I realized how much crap I was eating.

Now I'm about to go on a 7 day cruise (it was either this or Disney). I will not be bringing a laptop or any mobile device to log my calories. According to the gym staff, the standard cruise-goer gains 1.5 to 2lb's per day. I refuse to accept that. Any advice out there?

Portion control. no alcohol.
  • Jiv7
    Jiv7 Posts: 36
    Options
    I would say load up on the veggies! Make your plate like half veggies. That way even if you do go way over on daily calories at least the majority of it will be from veggies. 400 calories of veggies is way better than 400 calories of fried chicken.
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Carnival has a great new line of meals called "Spa Carnival" which is offered at breakfast and dinner (they even offer desserts). We always eat in the dining room SO IDK about the buffets, but on my last cruise i had a lot of the spa meals and they were great! Also, you can always mix and match the sides so you can be a lil' naughty if you dare.

Enjoy your cruise! :)
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You've learned how bad you were eating, so you know what to look and watch out for. If you do like last time and work out plus paying the attention to your eating habits you shouldn't have the nearly 2lb per day gain. You should do pretty good, stay hydrated and enjoy yourself.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I go on cruises and usually gain 3-4 pounds. It only takes a week to get them off so I think it's mainly the sodium. I take the stairs everywhere, work out in the gym or run up on the outside track, and just try to make smart choices when I eat. Go and enjoy yourself - you'll get any extra pounds you gain off in no time.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    smile: most of the ships have a gym, or stairs and running tracks , swimming pool. be active !

most also have healthy option meals, and nobody is going to put anything in your mouth you don't want to eat.

have lovely trip :smile:
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Watch the portions, log everything you eat with good old fashioned paper and pencil, and work out 3 to 4 days while you are there or just walk the length of the boat a few times each day...
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Kuddos to you. You did so much better than I did on my cruise. My husband and I ate whatever we wanted, lounged around, and had lots of wine/champagne in our room. Honeymooners!;-)

By the end of our 5 night cruise, I was so happy NOT to eat and to make my own healthy salad.*LOL*

Shannon
  • lukeleia4
    lukeleia4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently went on a Carnival Cruise and gained no weight. Here are my tips: avoid buffets, instead eat in dining rooms and order Spa Cuisine. Very tasty and lower in calories/fat/etc. WALK, WALK, STAIRS, WALK, DANCE, WALK, WALK, WALK. Drink water. Have a small treat if you're tempted, but just don't go crazy. I was worried when I wasn't logging every day, but I did just fine, and you can too! Bon Voyage!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Like others say, eat sensible. Skip the midnight buffet (but go see it, it's worth it). Plan to exercise in the gym EVERY DAY for at least 45 minutes, and exercise HARD!! Take any fitness classes they offer. Stay as active as possible.

Say no to the sweets, and don't eat the bread and pasta.

Try new foods and have fun!! You're lucky to have such a vacation.

I hope you're not on the SS Minnow, we did a Carnival Cruise in 99, it was a doomed vacation/honeymoon. The toilets didn't flush, the whole place smelled like raw sewage, we were about 6 hours behind schedule and it screwed up our port calls, oh and on the last day, one of the stabilizers went out and people were PUKING everywhere!!! I'm never taking a Carnival Cruise again!!! They did refund us and our room was OK, also I had Dramamine with us so we didn't get sick. But others weren't so lucky!!

- Mike