Lower Back Pain, and exercises to help!?

Options
Okay, so I am experiencing some severe lower back pain, and I have no idea why. I've never had this problem before. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's because I've been slouching a lot lately while sitting at the computer or studying at my desk. Also, I've been lugging around a (roughly) 40 lb backpack, and when I look in the reflective windows at the school I notice that I lean forward way too much to bear the weight. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before, and what they've done about it. In addition, have any great exercises to target the lower back/core to strengthen it? I think the 'superman' is good, and maybe deadlifts, but other than that....also I have been lazy with exercising, so that needs to change. Any ideas? Thanks! :D

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I was going to say deadlifts but sounds like you've thought of that already :)
    Be really careful with your form though, get it wrong and you can do more damage than good, especially if you already have back issues.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've had low back pain issues for years (have a couple of herniated discs). My doctors recommend exercising to strengthen my core. Pilates is what has been recommended for me. Weight loss has helped the issue. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thanks! ^^
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had lower back pain at the beginning of the year (mine was for being too obese), I found that gentle yoga helped a lot - it not only helped my to stretch but also it helped build strength in my core. Although I still have a long way to go, yoga made me aware of using my core to bend etc, instead of my back if that makes sense. I havent had back pain since concentrating on using my core.
  • frmeital
    Options
    It's probabaly from the "slouching" part of your daily routine...this is a video explaining about how to fix this problem with proper posture, it helped me a lot:

natural-alternative-therapies.com/tailbone-pain-when-sitting/
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any more back pain since I started biking again.
  • ranibauer
    Options
    I have had some lower back pain also, my pain is from a bulged disk. I was told not to do any weight bearing exercises that will strain my back, but simple core exercises are good. Also, sitting is the worst thing for your lower back, so it might help to get up every hour and stand. Stretching and yoga have been helping me. Good luck!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if you are having "Severe back pain" you should see a doctor before doing any exercise. you could make your problem way worse.