I have a confession to make.

Options
I have once again become a closet eater. I thought I had broken that habit but it's snuck back up on me. At work, I'm known as the girl who won't eat junk food. I get praised for passing on cake, pizza, sweets and all the other junk food that comes around. I say no every time. I hear constantly that they wish they had my will power.

But what my co-workers don't know is that I USED to be that girl. I used to be the girl that said no. I used to wait until my 1 cheat day and that was it. What they don't know is that at home, I'm just like them. I just don't want them to see it because I like that they are proud of me. I like being the girl who says no.

But it's a lie and I'm sick of lying. I'm ashamed and I hate that feeling. It conjurs up all kinds of memories of my past. Hiding in my room with a bag of chips. Eating ice cream sandwiches, fudgesicles and other bad snacks and hiding the wrappers. The look of disappointment in my mother's face when she found them and berated me in front of the rest of the family for eating them. The neighbour who stopped asking me to babysit because I would eat all the snacks that were supposed to be for the kids I was babysitting! Shame. I really do hate it.

I want to go back to being the girl who says no because I was proud of that girl. Where did she go?

A few months ago, right around when I hit Onederland, I started slacking off and allowing myself a snack I normally wouldn't eat through the week. A handful of bits and bites here, a cookie there. It wasn't very often and I still worked out 5-6 days a week so I still managed to lose weight on the scale. Subconsciously, I think I started pushing the limits of what I could get away with. People were still telling me I looked good. People were still telling me that I motivated them. But little by little, my sneaking became a little more frequent. While making dinner, now I find myself snacking on whatever I can get my hands on and then "forgetting" to add it on mfp. Closet eating at it's best. I don't even want my virtual friends to know. If I could do that and still enjoy the fatty treats, why not? Who was I harming?

Well last week, a little alarm went off. I had a gain of 1.8lbs. I tried to tell myself that I was good all week. I looked at my meals from the week before and sure enough, I was pretty good. Except for all those little things I didn't add on. And instead of seeing a gain and working hard to get it back off, I went the opposite way. I ignored the alarm and pigged out on chips and chocolates for 3 days instead. And felt ashamed the whole time. Ashamed that I don't have the control I thought I did. Ashamed that I still don't have this weight loss beat. Ashamed that I haven't been honest with my friends and co-workers or even myself.

Well the secret is now out. Hello world. My name is Lisa and I'm a closet eater. But that's all about to change because this feeling of shame is not taking over my life again. I'm taking control right now before I get any further out of control. I screwed up but I'm owning it. I can do better. I have done better. I will do better again and I'm doing it one step at a time. Today is November 1st and I will not have any unhealthy snacks. And when I go to bed tonight, knowing that I did it, I'll feel pride...for the first time in a long time. And that is what is going to motivate me to do it again tomorrow.

Replies

• cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Usually when I feel out of control, I take a week ( or how ever long it takes ) to wean myself off of sugar/carbs. I'll go low low carb for about a week, then slowly add back in my whole grains the following week. So sorry you're struggling :(
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wow, great post. And one I'm sure a lot of us can relate to. I had a bad weekend and have been berating myself ever since, and you post came at just the right time. We can do this Lisa....my name is Carol and I also have closet eater tendencies...or oops, forgot to log that....or a little bit won't hurt...and on and on and on. I am sending you a request cause I think that we can support each other in this daily battle with food!
    Take care
  • agritsogap
    Options
    Good luck Lisa! You can do it!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Oh Lisa do I 'get it'... I tell my husband "Please do NOT go get in the shower or go to bed without me" because I can NOT sit in the living room ALONE and not go tap into the few "not so hot idea" foods in the cupboard, or even stay out of a MILLION 'good for me" snacks:blushing: . It always feels good at the time to not get the eyebrows raised looks or the "are you sure you want to do that" comments...but the looks and comments are still there, only it's YOU giving them to yourself. I don't know HOW to help other than to say that you are not alone and that we are here to listen and offer advice and support :smile:
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i could say so much about your post but here are the mains

Thanks and well done for being honest to everyone and more importantly yourself

You have given me extra motivation today, you really have

Start with me again today, have a great couple of days - uber healthy/strict and the rest will follow

You still are that girl that everyone admires and is proud off, you just got a little lost and thats OKAY, come back and continue. Note i said continue and not 'start again' as this phrase i find myself overwhelming.

After a week you will be able to truly revel again in your colleagues saying how well you do!

keep at it xxx
  • almille
    Options
    Amen, sister. I wish you the best. I let Halloween get away from me, and I'm working on squashing my renewed sweet tooth too.
    These things happened. You have become aware of them, and can do better starting now. Go get 'em!

And go throw out whatever you have- now. Or give it to someone. I've got m&ms hiding in my desk, which you've inspired me to give to my cubicle neighbor- You can do the same!
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That was a great post! You aren't alone!! I've been dealing with something similar to that.... when I got into the 190s-180s I started to snack more than I used to.... I was sooo good losing the first 30 lbs, but once I reached that, I started eating so bad. I've been stuck around the same weight for what seems like eternity, but i'm finally getting back on track! You can do it! You have the right mindset, which is so important!!
  • reim0031
    reim0031 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I'm pretty sure that you have a secret window into my world too! :) I was also doing great up until about 2 weeks ago, when my husband opened up the halloween candy - before Halloween! No No No! I couldn't even keep track of what I ate it was so mindless!

I'm back on track as of today as well. If it goes in my mouth - it goes in my tracker!

We can do this!
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Thank you for this, Lisa. I have been off the wagon big time and telling myself that it was o.k. because I was still down. You've given me the kick I need to get back on track.
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks for having the strength to share.......! ((( Hugs )))
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good for you! you sound like you are ready to do this! And--no worries, I'm sure we can all relate in one way or another. I know I can!
  • Annieboo51
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    awesome accountability, Lisa! you have identified the complacency creep that crawled into your head and you have told him "EFF YOU COMPLACENCY CREEP. I WILL NOT BE CONTROLLED BY THE LIKES OF YOU."

everything you said is so true. That's what happens to too many success (or almost success) stories. You feel good about yourself and start testing the limits of what you can get away with. I was in that place in 2005. I am fighting hard not to allow myself to go there this time.

Good luck to you on your continued journey.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I've been dealing with this the past week (including the hiding of candy wrappers so I don't get "caught").

Your post is exactly what I needed to hear though. Thanks for sharing and giving me the extra motivation I really needed right now.
  • 3tzmom
    Options
    After a set back, most of us have a few food melt down days. You pigged out and now it's done. The thing is we think we are missing out, but I'm sure after the pig out you felt bad. Just remind yourself the feeling is not worth it. I get frustrated when I see everyone eats what they want and I watch it and exercise 5 plus days. Then I remind myself I wasn't happy when I pigged out all the time. It sounds like you feel like you are missing out when people around you are eating and it is still on your mind when you get home. You feel deprived, so allow yourself a treat at work or take the treat they offer for when you get home. Just count it if you eat it. You may find out you don't even want it once you are home. Maybe it's time to change something like a new exercise , a challenge like a 5k, or a new ticker. I was feeling frustrated and then I found this site and now I'm excited to keep going. Dig deep inside yourself and find your strength that has gotten you this far.
  • 3tzmom
    Options
    Halloween is def. a struggle for me too. All I can think about today is the bags of candy in my kids room. ugh!
  • jellyfishbones
    jellyfishbones Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for putting yourself out there!
  • morrishem
    Options
    I am def a closet eater breaking the habit! You are doing awesome, probably just writing this really will help your will power. I know last night when i ate a bunch of halloween treats i was not going to write them down, but i thought to myself that maybe if i see in front of me the calories i ate in just a few little halloween treats it would stop me from eating more of them. If I had not written it down, i would have eaten at least double what i did!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great post, I no it's hard to admit that, you are not alone:)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It was no secret to you, you knew that you where cheating...BUT now you are ready to get back with it, be proud, be happy and get the goal completed. I think you will be more accountable this time....I think you will have more postive results this time... Good luck..