I need some advice!

Options
So, I'm not exactly new - I've been here for more than two weeks - but this is my first post.
I weigh 165 pounds and my daily goal here is 1200. My usual net is less than that, I know it's not supposed to be, but... I really am desperate, so I'm trying. I also exercise a lot.
It's been 18 days, and I don't know where I stand. One day, I have 166 pounds, the other day I have 163. And than 165 again, but in the end I feel like I haven't lost anything!
What do you think is happening, and what should I do?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would eat more than 1,200 calories especially if I was working out. That can't possibly be enough.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • nothingisred
    Options
    You should really be aiming for more than 1200 calories a day. Even if it seems like eating hardly anything will help, in the long run it's just going to make things worse.

If you open your diary to make it public people can help and make suggestions as to where you're going wrong.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Part of it could also be water retention. Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes it takes a little while for the water retenion to subside. The more you drink the better you are is what I have been told.
  • joandem26
    Options
    I would try only weighing yourself once a week at the most. Always do it the same day at the same time. That may help with more consistancy in the numbers!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat more and stop weighing every day.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight fluctuations to me. When you start a new fitness and/or eating routine, your body goes through an adjustment period. At first, it thinks there might be some sort of mini famine or something, so it tries to hold on to its fuel. This is esp. true for women. The first few weeks/month can be really frustrating because you don't feel like you're making any progress. STICK WITH IT! Your body will adjust and begin to truely lose.

Something else to keep in mind: some people's water weight fluctuates as much a 4 or 5lbs throughout the day. This is why I try to only weigh myself once a week on the same day, at the same time, on the same scale. Just some things to keep in mind. Your body is reacting in a very normal way, you just have to understand it!

Good luck!!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you may be trying too hard. by that I mean, you may be over committed to eating as little as possible with the belief that it helps. normally, if you don't eat enough, it doesn't help.

additionally, your food diary isn't public so I'm not sure if there's something there I could assist with. For me, I know that simply eating a caloric deficit is not always the simple answer. for me, when I eat too many breads (i.e., pizza) and processed sugary food, my scale weight does not like it. I think this is true for others as well. I know I do best when I stick primarily to lean protein, healthy fats, veggies and fruit. finally, you may not be drinking enough water to aid with weight loss.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Eat more, stop weighing every day, and relax.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not exactly new - I've been here for more than two weeks - but this is my first post.
    I weigh 165 pounds and my daily goal here is 1200. My usual net is less than that, I know it's not supposed to be, but... I really am desperate, so I'm trying. I also exercise a lot.
    It's been 18 days, and I don't know where I stand. One day, I have 166 pounds, the other day I have 163. And than 165 again, but in the end I feel like I haven't lost anything!
    What do you think is happening, and what should I do?

You need to net 1200!

and stop weighing yourself every day!!!!
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    your problem could be your food., quality is not the same as quantity. You're meeting your daily calories but with flour, starchy foods, sugar, and fat and all these will definitely keep you from loosing any weight.
  • potionphoenix
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. You've been really helpful :)
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    have you been consistent with your meals? When eating too few of calories the body will go in "starvation" mode and start storing instead of burning. Also, it will cause binge eating & high calorie cravings, like sweets and starch. Make sure you are taking your vitamins or supplements, that could help. I've had this problem but then I had to look at the "bigger picture" & see that I wasn't really being consistent, & was lacking vitamins and minerals. Now I think I'm good LOL
  • potionphoenix
    Options
    I don't eat less than 1200 usually, but I burn a lot
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Start paying attention to your sodium consumption. I didn't understand the impact of sodium until I weighed myself on a Friday, tracked my weekend food, and then weighed again on my normal day - Monday. Since then I've been trying to cut the sodium down.

What about eating something later in the day - dinner? I noticed in your diary you stop after an afternoon snack. Your body might need calories throughout the day to burn otherwise it will just store everything from the morning and lunch and that could cause a "weight" issue.