Do you find some post discouraging??

Options
i usually do 40min of cardio and 15min of weight training , ulternating between upper and lower body...

but then I read a post about how you need to weight train for hours and lift very heavy to gain muscle..how you already have muscle under your fat so all your workouts are not gaining muscle blah blah blah! So now I think what is the point of hitting the weight machines at the gym? I will just do my 40min of cardio and go home!

Then there is a post about water, how you do not have to drink that much water because food already has water! So I am not doing that well with my water intake anymore...I was drinking 6 cups of water plus my daily cup of green tea and morning coffee...well I know fruits have water in them, but how many oranges do you have to squeeze get 1 cup of liquid? at least 3! and lots of calories! So i'd rather just drink straight water because well it has no calories..

right now I am not losing much scale wise, but my jeans are getting loose, and the next size down is getting more comfortable...everyone comments about how I am losing weight, (even my evil brother who always makes fun of my weight :o) ) i have lost inches everywhere but the scale is still reading that same damned # 132lb! so if it is not muscle gain then why am I getting smaller but the scale is not moving like it is supposed to be!

ps : pls do not mind my spelling , typing with one hand because ds is in my lap..

samantha

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and different things work for different folks. Try different things and see what works for you.
  • Stormy65
    Stormy65 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the scale. If people can tell and you can see a change in how your clothes are fitting. that is wonderful!!! You just keep on what your doing!. everyone is different and bodies are different and some weights I would think would be better than NOTHING at all.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned? There are A LOT of people on this site. Some are here to be supportive and some are here to be snarky.

If what you're doing works for you - keep doing it. Listen to your own body and ignore what other people tell you to do. I've run into many people on this site that want to argue with me about what *I* am doing. They want to tell me it is wrong or that it isn't possible. I just shake my head, roll my eyes at them and keep moving. I'm maintaining my weight and have been for the last 6 months. I KNOW what I am doing when it comes to MY body and how it responds to things.

I drink at least 64oz of water a day and when I don't? I don't feel well and I start having a lot of breakouts. So, I drink as much water as *I* feel that I need.

If you're jeans are getting smaller - then you're doing something right! Ignore those who aren't helping you.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I try to ignore the discouraging posts and just do what works for me.

Also remember that almost everybody posting is just posting their OPINIONS so who knows if they're fact or part of some new weight loss diet quackery :)

I've found if I drink more water, I eat healthier and eat less so I try to drink at least 10 cups of plain water a day, so I continue to drink as much water as possible since it works for me.

I also can feel myself getting stronger and I do about 30 minutes of strength training at a time, probably on average 2 times a week. I don't care what other people say, it makes me feel good to do strength training so I just do what works for me.

Try to not get discouraged and find out what works for you and stick with it.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

but then I read a post about how you need to weight train for hours and lift very heavy to gain muscle..how you already have muscle under your fat so all your workouts are not gaining muscle blah blah blah! So now I think what is the point of hitting the weight machines at the gym? I will just do my 40min of cardio and go home!

You really do not need to be spending hours hitting weights. That is over training and does more harm then good. You lift weights to retain the muscle mass that you have, so that when you hit your goal weight your body composition is more appealing
  • Flossykirk
    Flossykirk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I say don't listen to what anyone else says if its discouraging ... go with what the majority says that works, and if that doesn't work for you, modify to whatever will.

Weights are good for you to tone the muscle, make it lean .... muscle burns fat. You don't have to worry about bulking up.

I do light resistance work, arms and legs ... and I work on my abs every single day.

I do 60 minutes of cardio a day at least 5 days a week, sometimes 6. I rest on Sunday.

Drinking water .... my Doctor told me to drink drink drink ... at least 8 - 8 ounce glasses a day. This flushes the toxins out of your body from the work outs, plus flushes the fat and is good for your muscles.

Be encouraged!!! Not every "body" is the same. Not every method is for every person. The fact that you are trying is awesome, and to read your jeans are loose means more than the numbers on the scale!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

You really do not need to be spending hours hitting weights. That is over training and does more harm then good. You lift weights to retain the muscle mass that you have, so that when you hit your goal weight your body composition is more appealing

This is a great response. If you don't strength train while losing weight you will lose a lot of muscle, weight training, while in a caloric deficit, helps retain most of the muscle you currently have as well as strengthen and condition it.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You could, in theory, do just cardio. Weight loss is mainly diet.

Then again if you train your muscle, the body will allocate a portion of the ingested food/calories for muscle building/maintenance.
    If you don't train them, then... the body just decide to skip them, and they will shrink (muscles, that is).

But muscles increase your base metabolic rate (i.e. calories you consume when standing idle).
    So if you look like a stick (= no muscles), you are going to have a lower BMR and thus lose less cals.

I'd personally say keep working out, but then you have got to decide what your goals are, and what suits you best!

PS: Look in High Intensity Training (HIIT) if you want to burn more calories doing the same cardio exercise. Better ROI.
    Then there is a post about water, how you do not have to drink that much water because food already has water! So I am not doing that well with my water intake anymore...I was drinking 6 cups of water plus my daily cup of green tea and morning coffee...well I know fruits have water in them, but how many oranges do you have to squeeze get 1 cup of liquid? at least 3! and lots of calories! So i'd rather just drink straight water because well it has no calories..
    So tell me, what is the worst that can happen if you drink too much water?
    Yep, going to the toilets more. Just keep drinking water, whatever people say. Plus it's 0 calories!

There are cases where people have died drinking too much water, but to reach the same state you'd have to stuck a fire hose in your mouth non stop for hours. So I can't see why you should not drink water then, since it's not dangerous.
    right now I am not losing much scale wise, but my jeans are getting loose, and the next size down is getting more comfortable...everyone comments about how I am losing weight, (even my evil brother who always makes fun of my weight :o) ) i have lost inches everywhere but the scale is still reading that same damned # 132lb! so if it is not muscle gain then why am I getting smaller but the scale is not moving like it is supposed to be!
    If you have been following the diet for a while and the scale have not moved for a full two weeks, then I would start to worry about it. Until then, I would stick to the plan (and I insist -> really <- stick to the plan!).

Good luck.