Recently Quit Smoking - Weight will NOT come off

Options
Hey all - my husband and I recently quit smoking (4 months now) for the past month I have been dieting and moderate exercise but my weight gain since quitting (15 lbs) won't seem to budge. I am super careful about my nutrition and am doing a high protein - low carb - low fat diet. Anyone else have the same experience ? If so how did you kick your metabolism back into shape :)

Replies

• dosesr4winners20
    Options
    as a smoker i'd like to know this too!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I can't give you an answer as I quit over a year ago and have lost the same 5lbs over and over. I am now seriously reducing my caloric intake as well as 45 min exercise 5 X weekly in hopes of success.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 years since I quit and I have gained an easy 15 pounds. I have never had an issue with weight before but I just can't get this weight off. I exercise, count calories and drink my 64 oz of water per day but no go. The doctor told me our bodies need to reset their metabolism. I would think it would reset by 2 years, but who knows. I'm just going to keep at it and hope for the best.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It's common. Side affect of smoking. Best of luck.
  • smblakely
    Options
    I gained 80lbs when I quit and I can't get it off for anything. I have been trying for years and nothing seems to work.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had been having the same problem. I gained 4lbs since quitting 6 months ago, and they are the most stubborn 4lbs I have ever gained! I didn't bother dieting for the first 2 months as I just wanted to focus on getting rid of the smoking habit before worrying about my weight.

As a smoker, I'd often skip breakfast, dessert, snacks, etc. and I never had much of an appetite to even finish my portions. Not now! I can eat a whole pizza by myself! And I'm little! Food just tastes so much better now.

When I first started working out and counting calories (about 2 months after I quit), my weight would not budge. Now that I've become more regular with my meals and working out daily, I think my body has finally gotten a clue and I've started losing. I guess it just takes some time for your body to adjust to a new HEALTHIER lifestyle. I feel so much better now than I ever did as a smoker.

Congrats to anyone who's decided to quit. It'll be the smartest decision you ever make!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I gained weight when I quit smoking, but that's because I ate everything in sight and wasn't working out.

Once I got back to logging my food and going to the gym, I started losing weight again.

Are you exercising?
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My one year anniversary is tomorrow and I've read a lot about this. There are two issues, one is that most people eat and snack more to fill the void. But, the second issue that people rarely talk about is the calorie burn you get from nicotine. I've read that Smoking a pack a day burns a good 500 calories or so. Obviously, not in a good way, but that is the effect it has on your metabolism. They say it takes about 12-18 months for your metabolism to optimize after you remove that stimulant. But, that doesn't mean you'll naturally burn those 500 calories you were burning per pack while smoking. You won't.

I think the reason no one talks about it is because it might actually encourage people to smoke. I hope it doesn't. But, if you've quit and aren't gaining weight you're doing something way better than most of us.
  • BuffyKicksButt
    Options
    Yikes - well I hope I haven't discouraged anyone from quitting - I am very happy about not smoking anymore. Well shoot I will just double my exercise efforts. I am not snacking and average around 1200 cals a day broken down protein/carbs/fat ratio of 50/30/20.
    I have been doing 60 minutes 3x per week of aggressive aerobic activity (Flirty Girl Fitness - Booty Beat). I sweat my butt off in class so I know I'm burning. I am gonna start the 30 day Shred tonight on top of the Booty Beat - we'll see what that does.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Remember this:

Diet makes you look fabulous in your clothes.. Exercise makes you look fabulous naked!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Remember this:

Diet makes you look fabulous in your clothes.. Exercise makes you look fabulous naked!

LOVE IT!!!