Does anyone else have this problem when they eat breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Peppermint49
    Peppermint49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem, cereal and toast is a no no for me, plus I'm a serial breakfast skipper :embarassed:

But when I have a very important day, I usually eat a large low fat yoghurt (in it's pot so I can eat while doing other tasks, (reeeally not recommended but that's me) with some grapes, or half a banana or any fruit I can eat on the go. That tends to fill me up for quite a while.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I eat every two hours. AND I love it!

Makes me feel like i am not depriving myself.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    They also sell Sun Butter, which is made with Sun Flowers seeds. It's nice and filling like peanut butter and will work around your allergies. Toast and peanut/almond/sun flower seeds butter always give me a boast of energy and fill me up longer.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I know its the "most important meal of the day" and shouldn't be skipped
    Not true.

For me it's good to eat a small breakfast (with protein) because it keeps me full until lunch and I don't want to snack. If that's not true for you then don't eat breakfast.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Why don't you boil up some eggs the night before and have them with some toast?

I have found that steel cut oats are far better at keeping my hunger at bay than regular instant oatmeal. I prepare one serving the night before, then heat it up the next day. I add cinnamon, fruit and some agave nectar or (I just recently made) pumpkin butter. I find that keeps me full for a few hours until I have a mid morning snack.
  • lisab36079
    lisab36079 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat the sugar free oatmeal and add a teaspoon of smart balance peanut butter to it. Just this small change helped me stay full longer. I also agree that small snacks should be added in between meals to curb hunger, but do whatever works best for you. Good luck!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I agree with everyone, add some protein. Boil eggs is a good suggestion. I usually have a high fiber oatmeal Quaker make one. That helps me. I also have banana shortly after my oatmeal. Then about 2 hours later I have a Fiber One bar. Eat frequently, while getting in protein (and fiber) helps you from getting too hungry before lunch.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I eat about 200-300 calories for breakfast (varies day to day what I eat) at about 6:30-6:45. I eat a snack about 9:30-10:00, then lunch at 12:00-12:30, another snack at about 3:00 (usually after I get back from working out), dinner at around 6:30, and a light snack at bedtime. I'm never hungry because I'm eating essentially all day long. You might try that and see if it helps you. My snacks are usually about 100-150 calories (fruit, yogurt, low-fat popcorn, Special K cracker chips, string cheese, etc.).
  • jack3191
    Options
    Breakfast kick starts your metabolism, which is good, so you don't want to skip breakfast. It's better to eat a good breakfast and smaller meals for lunch and dinner, and having a healthy snack in between meals. That way you can keep your metabolism going all day but you are not over eating!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have that problem. I eat scrambled eggs with butter, veggies and bacon pretty much every morning around 9:15 a.m. I'm full until around 3-4 in the afternoon when I have lunch. If I eat the protein, fat and veggies it keeps me full for hours.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Switch your oatmeal to something like egg beaters with some lean meat and veggies scrambled in.

If you love oatmeal - try replacing it with quinoa flakes -- they are yummy and higher protein, low glycemic so they keep you feeling full longer. I usually stir in some pumpkin puree or fage 0% greek yogurt, chia/flax seeds, agave and walnuts...very filling. Youc an eat quinoa flakes just like oatmeal or actually turn them into pancake type things which are just as good.

Often I'm just a lazy morning person so I make a good protein shake and just drink my breakfast on the way to work.
  • agryga
    Options
    I found eating greek yogurt, a glass of skim milk and/or eggs in the morning get me to lunch without any hunger or cravings. Maybe the brown sugar with your oatmeal raises your blood sugar too much - making you hungrier too soon. Keep your protein clean - as in no sugar.
  • shantelleclarke
    Options
    Main reason for feeling hungry a couple hours afte royu have eaten is because you have started your metabolism, which si a good thing. Eating every couple hours increased your metabolic rate and in turn you burn more calories throughout the day. You shouldn't skip breakfast. Even if you only eat a piece of fruit or something small, it still jumpstarts your metabolism enough to get your digestive system going for hte day.

I love oatmeal with brown sugar. My fave!
  • ressa8
    ressa8 Posts: 60
    Options
    When I eat oatmeal for breakfast I am starving all day and craving things like crazy!! If I have a smoothie with protein powder, or eggs or anything with protein, it's a totally different story!!
  • merryfaith
    merryfaith Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal and cereal, so it's not the best breakfast, but I do notice I'm less hungry if I remember to at least eat those than to skip it.

I do love making fried eggs when I have time. I do fry them in butter (I need to try in EVOO next time, though), and eat the yolk but mmm. and they have protein. and taste really good with salsa or chili.

blogilates has some good, protein filled breakfast ideas here: http://blogilates.tumblr.com/recipeindex
    there's also a LOT here, though not all are high-protein, but still a lot to choose from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-breakfast-recipes.html

hope that helps!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I eat fat and protein for breakfast...and lots of it. It keeps me full for, most days, until dinnertime.
  • Fernella13
    Fernella13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try protein for breakfast. When I eat oatmeal or cereal for breakfast I'm ravenous by 10am. I think I'm sensitive to carbs in the morning, you might be too. Try a boiled egg or a protein bar.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    People seem to have mixed information about breakfast. I have always heard its the most important meal of the day. Some have said it should be the biggest meal, lunch moderate, and dinner small. Some here are saying to skip it, that its not that important, others are saying it is important. I guess people go by their own experiences, but anyways I'm trying the protein thing instead of the oatmeal thing to see if that works.

Since I'm allergic to nuts, one member mention sunflower seed butter, like peanut butter... does it taste similar and is it healthier? I used to like peanut butter back before we realized I was allergic and would love to try it
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The reason you're getting mixed information is because we all have to figure out what works best for each of us. It's definitely important for most people to get protein, carbs, and fiber in at each meal, but the times don't much matter. If you want to continue eating breakfast (and I suggest it, because it works for me to have breakfast every morning), then I would agree with others who have said to make sure you're getting protein with your carbs.

The rest however, is all a matter of trial and error with your own body.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you use egg whites (example egg beaters egg whites) it will take the sodium down a ton...which is good also :)

Keep the yolks - they are great nutrition. For example, egg yolks contain a nutrient that reduces the risk of developing macular degeneration.

My healthy breakfast is oatmeal with Brummel and Brown and cinnamon along with two scrambled eggs. It keeps me full for several hours.