Article I read/Give Your Comments

Options
Cut Through the BS
Posted by abornstein | October 31, 2011 | Comments

“I hate my body.”

The subject line popped up in my inbox last Thursday at 3:42 pm, and left me temporarily stunned.

I receive a lot of emails every day. Most are from co-workers, some from PR people, and I even have a nice contingent of people who like to tell me I suck. (I actually appreciate the feedback; not the general tone). But this email was different.

The emailer was fed up and feeling defeated. Call it paralysis by analysis or the result of mounting frustration that comes when hard work doesn’t lead to results. Whatever the reason, her motivation was flickering—at best—and everything she read seemed to downplay the difficulty she experienced trying to live a healthy life. I picked up the phone and called the woman who was contemplating giving up on her health. I wanted to let her know the truth:

A lot of the health information you receive is BS.

It’s not that everything you hear or read is wrong, but there's a growing amount of information that is damaging to the daily fight to improve your health. Myths like eating at night makes you gain weight, needing to have a big breakfast to start your day, or removing an entire food group (fat or carbs are the common “victims”) as a necessary part of the weight loss equation are elements of the BS that clouds fitness and nutrition information. Even the marketing on foods you buy in stores makes it tough to decipher the good from bad. In fact, due to the FDA’s “Qualified Health Claims,” most foods can pre-qualify for marketing copy (helps you lose weight!) without any scientific consensus. Frustrating? Yes. Impossible to overcome? Most certainly not.

More importantly, too many articles make living healthy sound like it should come naturally to everyone. Or they make it seem like only one method works. The result: People end up confused, and those who struggle eating well or going to the gym end up feeling guilty about their internal battle. That’s why I called the woman who hated her body. I wanted to empower her and help her see the truth about improving her health: It’s hard work, but it doesn't have to be as painful as it may seem. You see, healthy behaviors are not inherently difficult—everyone can eat or exercise at some level. But the process is a marathon that requires consistency and dedication. That’s the element everyone leaves out. Four– or six-week fixes are a step in the right direction, but not the solution. Whether you’re overweight or in movie-star shape, seeing results takes hard work and patience. There’s a complex psychology involved in fighting for something you desperately want, but is so difficult to achieve. And then sticking with it and fighting even when you don’t see results is all part of the fitness battle.

To make matters worse, some people have it harder than others. (Especially those who have been overweight) In fact, according to new research, your body might actually be plotting against you. And no matter how much weight you lose, your genetics will try to push you back to the brink of an unhealthy lifestyle. But you can still succeed. Just look at Victoria, Bill, and Scott.

Transforming your body and life requires transparency. Nothing is harder than approaching the unknown. If you understand the obstacle in front of you, cut out the BS, and take a realistic approach to how to jump over the hurdle (or run through it), you can temper your expectations, find ways to reinforce your progress (however slow or fast), and uncover newfound motivation. Oftentimes people make strides without even realizing it. They experience success but believe that it’s failure. Even the smallest victories are important because they create momentum.

That’s why it’s time to reestablish what you need to know. I'd start by focusing on behaviors rather than benchmarks. Weight loss is great, but that will come if you're doing the right things. It's no different than the student who focuses on studying instead of grades. If you do your work, the results will come. To that effect, start with actionable steps. You don’t need another article telling you to go low carb. Or more people saying to go to the gym. You need information that guides you towards a better life. Or tips that make a behavior that isn’t inherently enjoyable (eating well, exercising) a little bit easier. At the end of the day, you still need to take action. No one is going to wire your mouth shut or lift weights for you. But we can make it easier.

Consider these tips as your starting point. Not all of them will apply to you, but they are direct pieces of advice that can help in your journey. Try them out, see what works, and take stock that little victories--like tracking foods or exercising 3 times in a week--are more important than the scale. After all, you need to change your behaviors before you can change your wardrobe. And doing so will keep you motivated and inspired for the long haul.

Small Changes
*If you’re struggling to lose weight, don’t eliminate any single macronutrient (proteins, carbs, fats). It's a recipe that makes sticking to your diet harder than it needs to be. However, replacing some carbs and fat for protein will help jumpstart your weight loss. Why? The process of digesting protein burns significantly more calories and keeps you fuller.

*Not sold on the protein thing? How about this: When you bump up your protein intake, you eat fewer calories, says University of Missouri researchers. Doesn’t mean you just need to eat protein, but make a conscious effort to include more in each meal, or as a replacement for a carb source like pasta. Try eating any of these protein-rich foods: eggs, chicken, fish, protein powders, cottage cheese, pork, Greek yogurt, or turkey. If you don’t like meat or dairy, go for tofu, seitan, beans, lentils, quinoa, and nuts/nut butters.

*Snack LESS. Some people love eating 4 to 6 meals per day—it’s a perfectly healthy diet strategy. But it doesn’t work for everyone. In fact, research shows that snacking actually causes cravings. So if you struggle to control your appetite, it might be better for you to eat larger meals, less frequently. I used to eat 6 meals a day, but now only have 3 and find my appetite to be under better control.

*Do you hate exercise? Maybe try taking caffeine. Research indicates that taking caffeine (coffee works) makes exercise seem more enjoyable.

Not a caffeine person? Then bring your iPod to the gym. Here’s why: The bad music at the fitness center can actually make your workout feel worse, according to the journal Perception of Motor Skills. So do yourself a favor and play the music you love. It’ll make a difference and help the time pass, whether you’re lifting, running, or just going for a walk.

Sleep 8 hours. Seriously, it’ll make a massive difference in your appetite. When you’re tired, scientists have found that it’s harder to resist foods that are loaded with calories. The more tired you are, the less control you have over your hunger. So don’t place yourself at a disadvantage.

Eat real food: Listen, I enjoy protein shakes. It’s true. (yeah, I’m weird) But there is nothing magical about the powder before, during, or after your workout—or at any time of the day, for that matter. Actually, whole food sources are ALWAYS a better option. Powders are just lower quality. So reach for the real protein sources first. But if you’re in a bind, go with the powder over fast food or a meal that completely lacks protein.

Track your calories: Listen, I know that MyPlate is a tool on our site, so this seems like shameless self-promotion. But the truth is the tool works, and here’s why: Even when you exercise, you can’t eat whatever you want. Research shows that we overestimate how much we exercise and underestimate how much we eat. So by logging your foods, you have a built-in system of accountability that helps prevent you from making mistakes that will crush your weight loss goals. But the added bonus: When you log foods, you actually start learning serving sizes. It empowers you to take control of what you eat no matter where you are, and you learn what foods are bad for your health and what you should avoid. As I said before, it all starts with education.

And please: Stop doing crunches and situps to lose your belly. It doesn’t work, and science proves it. A better way: Lowering your calories and starting a workout program with a direct goal. I’ve found that weight training is the most efficient way to drop pounds, but walking or playing sports is a great way to start being active. The crunches will only frustrate you and possibly hurt you.

So where do you go from here? Understand that regardless of your personal hurdle, your potential is unlimited. If you need inspiration, sign up to become one of our unstoppable stories. If you desire motivation, join one of our groups for social support from people taking on similar challenges. And if you want information, search our articles for tips you can use. And if all of that isn’t enough, you know where to find me. Our team at LIVESTRONG.COM is dedicated to your health—regardless of the goal. And we promise to cut the BS, get to the point, and do what we can to empower you to live the life you want.

- Adam Bornstein

Have a question for me or want more health or fitness information? Follow me on: Twitter @BornFitness, Google+, or Facebook

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/cut-through-bs/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=103111#ixzz1cTMnTNMt

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Does this come in Cliffs Notes?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Overall, I think that article is fantastic and I agree with most of it.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    This is such a great article. Everybody should take the time to read this. Thank you for sharing. :smile:
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    good read
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Great article! I pretty much agree with everything and it's how I try to do things
  • FatGirlSlim899
    FatGirlSlim899 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Overall, I think that article is fantastic and I agree with most of it.

Me too it's really brilliant. It's refreshing to see someone try to highlight how there is little/no scientific proof behind a lot of 'diet theories'.
  • mom12
    mom12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    great article and great reminder.

:glasses:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I needed some of these reminders right now! :drinker: