SUSHI OM NOM NOM.

Options
So tonight, I'm going out for my best friend's birthday sushi dinner. I found the restaurants menu online, but of course..no nutrition info. :\ I googled some different sushi roll calories but I never found a really precise measurement anywhere...plus, none of those sushi rolls sounded as tasty as what I want.

I'm thinking/hoping that if I'm able to get in a little work out, and allow for about 500 calories for a roll..I shouldn't be that far off...right?

Any one have any words of wisdom or some where I should look for more info?

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    500 sounds about right for any roll with tempura or sauce. If you get a veggie roll with no sauces or a simple salmon roll or something it will likely be a little less. Maybe shashimi? :)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The thing is, every place makes their rolls a little different, so if they don't provide the nutritional info, it's going to be a very rough estimate.

To help keep calories under control, I would avoid anything with tempura, cream cheese, mayo/spicy mayo, and eel (because of the sauce they put on it).
  • savannahgur
    savannahgur Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Agree with @jgic2009...every place is going to be slightly different and sushi is "supposed" to be a healthier alternative..not deep fried and made unhealthy (although i am VERY guilty of dropping it in the grease from time to time)

Happy eating :)
  • gingerOHsnap
    Options
    I'm not much for rolls with cream cheese, but I LOVE eel. But I might try a spicy tuna roll - I suppose that would be healthier.
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always have trouble accurately gauging my calorie consumption when it comes to sushi. However, since it's a relatively low fat food if you order intelligently, I fit it into my diet and it's a major staple in my weekly lunches! If you order things simple (ie: No rolls packed with mayo, cream cheese, "spicy", "crunchy" or anything deep fried, etc), you can keep calorie counts low. I typically stick to vegetable rolls (cucumber, avocado, sweet potato, asparagus), and then single-fish rolls like tuna rolls, salmon rolls, etc. Some of the fancier rolls add up quick in terms of calories. Another option, if you're a raw fish fan and comfortable with the idea, is to order a sashimi plate (plain raw fish slices, usually served with rice on the side). It eliminates a lot of the rice calories and you could always order it with a seaweed salad, miso soup, or garden salad which are all low calorie. There are plenty of options, it's just a matter of knowing what's in the rolls you're ordering and making sure to avoid any of the high fat additions. And if you DO want to splurge for one of the mondo-filled rolls, just go for it but order a lesser amount or cut back on something else you may have otherwise ordered! I am a big volume eater, so I like to fit as many rolls as possible into my calorie limits so I feel like I've eaten a lot, so I aim for the one-fish rolls and veggie rolls. Also, you can always ask them to substitute brown rice and they will if they have it (just more nutritious!) and/or ask them to limit the rice on the rolls. Also, one of my sushi places will wrap my rolls in hollowed out cucumber instead of rice!

Some of the other dinenr options may be calorie friendly too, I'm not sure about the teryakis or hibachis, but take a look into that if you're not in the mood for sushi.

Hope this helps :) I always just use whatever roll i can find in the tracker and guesstimate, but sushi is problematic when I'm trying to count, so I just try to make the most sensible decision I can!

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many calories is in a sushi roll, I'm sure it varies greatly from one restaurant to another. My advice would be to avoid anything fried (tempura) or with sauce or cream cheese. These will be the higher calorie rolls.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    like someone said just get shashimi.