North East Georgia - 405lbs

Options
Been trying to get a handle on my weight in Jan '09 I went from 430 to 380. since then its crept backup, I'm finding it hard to keep that focus over a period longer than 30-40 days. What I really need is to find a workout partner or a personal trainer. This fat is going to kill me if I don't lose it.

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you might benefit from doing the activity in my will power blog below.

also, while a workout partner is nice...reality is that nutrition is at least 80% of the battle. you can and will lose weight if you create a caloric deficit through what you eat/drink alone, even without any exercise. exercise does have its own benefits, but its not the main reason folks lose weight.

good luck to you on your journey.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Isn't the fact of knowing that fat will kill you enough to help you keep your focus? I don't mean to be rude, but I am truly curious. I cannot imagine continuing any activity that I knew - not suspected - would end up shortening my life. Love to you. Wishing you strength.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hey add me as a friend if you would like.. I am needing some more good people we can support each other.
  • tyrsblade
    tyrsblade Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely read those. A workout partner helps me stay focused and gives me a sounding board.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I think we all struggle with the same thing, but you have to remember it's not a diet or a temporary fix. It is a life change and something that will have to continue after the weight is gone.

I find coming to this site has kept me motivated while on this bumpy road. It helps to know I am not alone and that others are having the same struggles. Maybe you need someone to help you be accountable for what you are doing.

Good luck and if you are looking for motivation and support on this site, feel free to send me a friend request! :happy:
  • jamie11k
    Options
    Setting a goal may help stay on track, example-- "I will walk 15 minutes per day" and get a sticker for the calendar. You'll see it and be proud of yourself for earning the sticker.

The comment above is right, food intake is what will get you where you need to be. Plan your meals ahead, keep healthy snacks stocked, drink your water, and log everything. You have a whole community here so if you can't find a workout buddy, you may find someone to keep you accountable. We're all in this together, and if you're here, you're serious! Good luck!
  • tyrsblade
    Options
    That is really the thing right? if it were cigarettes I could cold turkey it and walk away. But it's food , we need food to survive.
    I have plenty of reason to do it.

I'm 36, way to young to let myself die due to overeating and inactivity
    I have a beautiful wife , an 9 week old daughter and an amazing 4 year old son .
    I desperately despise my fat, i feel that I am trapped in here. the man in the mirror disgust me.

all that though gets crowded out after 12 hours of work I'm a programmer
    when the kids need fed and the easiest thing to do is drive through.

I'm going to try again, my wife as well.

I appreciate ALL of the friend request and nice words thanks all. I feel much more positive about it after meeting you all.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    That is really the thing right? if it were cigarettes I could cold turkey it and walk away. But it's food , we need food to survive.
    I have plenty of reason to do it.

I'm 36, way to young to let myself die due to overeating and inactivity
    I have a beautiful wife , an 9 week old daughter and an amazing 4 year old son .
    I desperately despise my fat, i feel that I am trapped in here. the man in the mirror disgust me.

all that though gets crowded out after 12 hours of work I'm a programmer
    when the kids need fed and the easiest thing to do is drive through.

I'm going to try again, my wife as well.

I appreciate ALL of the friend request and nice words thanks all. I feel much more positive about it after meeting you all.

It's all about choices and taking it one day at a time. Baby steps ... you will get there!
  • tyrsblade
    Options
    The biggest challenge is ahead of us. We are heading up to my folks in Medina, OH for the holidays. Holidays are synonymous with gluttony. This is going to be difficult. Which why we decided to start now, if we can get through that , the rest of the year should be cake.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The biggest challenge is ahead of us. We are heading up to my folks in Medina, OH for the holidays. Holidays are synonymous with gluttony. This is going to be difficult. Which why we decided to start now, if we can get through that , the rest of the year should be cake.

You should talk with your family and tell them what you are doing and see if you can find some healthier options to the norm.
  • tyrsblade
    Options
    Not really their thing. We are all "big" and to require them to change their holiday traditions (each person has their own dish) would cause way too much stress. Stress which would trigger us both to eat, much easier if Turtledancer21 and I just plan to walk a mile or so and eat light throughout the day before thanksgiving dinner.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are in North East Georgia, but here's a great place, if it's close to you--

www.contemporarymartialarts.com

Fitness classes and traditional martial arts classes--engaging your mind may be just the trick to sticking with a workout.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi, Since you are new here are a couple of tidbits that help me stay on track. Plan ahead if you can and I always enter my foods before I eat them. If the damage is too much, I delete and eat something else. This site has been an eye opener for me as I had no idea how many calories were in the food I was eating! Now that I know, I do better. Also plan ahead on the grocery shopping so you already have in the house what you need. String beans are my friend - a whole can has 20 calories so if I really mess up on a splurge, I eat the string beans with my dinner instead of a potato or sweet peas. Finally, people post amazing recipes on this site that are lo cal and good for you. I love sweets - my favorite is the chocolate cake mix dry with the can of pumpkin mixed in to make low cal low fat cup cakes! Finally, I do not get extreme. I keep up with the calories, fat, protein and carbs. If I really want something and it will fit into my MFP guidelines for the day, I eat it. If I deprive myself of every thing good, I would not be able to do this. Good Luck
  • bigwill5
    bigwill5 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my story. I'm new to MFP. Just started working out on last Monday..at 402lbs. Biggest I have ever been and want to get off this yo-yo forever. Add me for support..Wish you were in Texas. I need a workout partner too. Feel free to add me.
  • tyrsblade
    Options
    LilysGranny I'll check them out ! Bigwill yeah it would be great to be local!.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Don't think you're going to be losing weight all biggest loser style. You need to celebrate even small losses. I'm a very slow loser and it was hard for me at first to celebrate a half pound when I'm as big as I am and I know how much I have to lose.

Let MFP be your support system. Seriously. Log everything. As for the gym, What I do is I have a calorie burn in mind before I go and I let that number push me. If I say I want to burn 1000 calories at the gym I might take an hour class and then go do some time on the elliptical until I reach my goal.

Changing your relationship with food is HARD. A lot of people just don't get it. Even a lot of people at MFP don't get it. You will fail, and you will try again, and you will fail again and again and again, but like Samuel Beckett says: Fail BETTER .
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    LilysGranny I'll check them out ! Bigwill yeah it would be great to be local!.

If you're not near Contemporary Martial Arts, I do know of a some other good martial arts schools in the region---let me know if you need contact info.
  • tyrsblade
    Options
    We've looked into Bobby Pophams school in Cornelia nothing for my 4 year old though and the Aikido school in commerce. Once we get back from Cleveland,OH in Dec we'll be choosing. Hartwell's a bit of a trip for us but if the instruction is good.

Let's talk off board send me a message k?
  • tyrsblade
    Options
    Lily you mentioned you knew some good schools up my way.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Been trying to get a handle on my weight in Jan '09 I went from 430 to 380. since then its crept backup, I'm finding it hard to keep that focus over a period longer than 30-40 days.

This is the story of my life. I can drop weight for 1-2 months, then I lose motivation and gain it back. I'm hoping it's different this time because there are plenty of people here that provide support. Good luck with your journey :)