will i ever be content with my weight?

Options
I ask myself this question.I' ve been dieting on and off since i was 11 years old,Im now 44 and still struggle! I'm not over weight as such but my waist is approx 34in.If I weigh at the top of my bmi scail, I am out of proportion as all the weight goes around my middle.I look at woman probably heavier than me and most are more comfortable with themselves.Im sick and tired of yo yoing!!. I would really like to hear your opinions on this !my family are used to my bad self image, help!

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on your weight. Focus on your overall health.
    Eat healthy, exercise, choose a healthy lifestyle.

It will all fall into place.
  • Colie140
    Options
    I am 46 and have never in my life been happy with my weight. Once, I got out an old tub of clothes that I had worn years before and they were so small compared with what I was wearing right then. I cried because when I wore the old clothes I thought I was so fat, and I would give just about anything to just be able to wear that size again. I don't know how to love myself how I am, but I am trying. If you figure it out, let me know. Good luck. Just remember, your friends and family love you no matter how you are and you should love and accept yourself no matter what. Now if I can only take my own advice.......................
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are proportioned like me...we can wish and even work all day long but if you're an apple you will never have a teeny waist, even in the best fitness of your life. Pay attention to hoe your body feels...things like energy, strength, sexy muscles. Then say outloud how much you love whatever it is about yourself...often :) You just have to forget hollywood's ideal and learn to love your own version. Good luck!!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just remember, your friends and family love you no matter how you are and you should love and accept yourself no matter what. Now if I can only take my own advice.......................

Although I do believe you need to love yourself first and foremost.... You're post almost made it sound like you had given up on being healthy and were content to "Settle" for where you were. If that was your intent, I suggest you consider not trying to convince the OP to do this as well.

This is a gigantic problem with our society. If you are unhappy with your weight, your job, what have you... Work to improve it!
    No need to give up!
  • sonicat
    Options
    I certainly don't want to give up and 'settle' the way I am.Maybe your right I need to love myself first easier said than done!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I feel like anything I can say to this could be met with 'Pot, this is kettle...'

But to quote one of my dearest friends 'You are not your weight.'

And while he is correct, I find myself identifying myself with that number far too often. It can be a useful tool to motivate oneself, just...well I continually tell myself that I need to be careful of that slippery slope. Motivated is good. Eating disorder is bad.

That said, 'fat' is totally a matter of perspective. Growing up I was usually the 'fat kid' of my family. Never said that way because in reality none of my siblings or I were fat. I was just bigger than my waifish siblings!

Look at where you have been and where you are. Find where you want to be, and accepting that it is not going to be a quick fix, or an easy thing, make a plan and proceed to rock it out. There will be awesome days, and amazing victories. There will also be days of utter crap and feeling miserable. (Or there have been in my world anyway!) There are people here who care enough to acknowledge we are all human, and to remind us of that when we get too down on ourselves - and who are equally willing to kick us in the pants when we need to get ourselves in gear.

I think I have totally derailed myself from whatever point I was after...

But having said that - I came up with a number I wanted. I had been there before and lost it through a process of laziness and poor eating choices. (This has happened more than once...) I got to that number and then changed it again. Why? Not totally sure. Still working on that one.

So breathe, realize that none of us are simply a number, and then use that residual 'my weight is/should be' mentality to drive yourself if that works for you.

We can do this. ...now f I only knew what 'this' was...