random dried bean question

Options
Hello,
I'm switching to using dried beans. The package states that a 1/2 cup is 1 serving. If that one serving dry or is that one serving after being soaked?

I'm thinking after its soaked since cans say 1/2 cup servings all the time. I just want to make sure.

Replies

• Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    SInce you brought up beans (figuratively), I've been wondering about using dried beans for bean salad instead of canned. Is soaking good enough, or do I need to cook them and let them cool, too?
    BTW, my guess is cooked, since they'd be impossible to eat dry....
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,047 Member
    Options
    SInce you brought up beans (figuratively), I've been wondering about using dried beans for bean salad instead of canned. Is soaking good enough, or do I need to cook them and let them cool, too?

Definitely need to cook them!
  • lcronshey
    Options
    The Serving is based on the cooked beans, not dried. Using dried beans is much better for you and your body as well. Good Luck!
  • nicoleat1049
    nicoleat1049 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's 1/2 cup prepared, but honestly beens don't get much bigger after you soak them. As for using dried beans for cold dishes, you need to soak, cook, and cool them. Except for black beans, which can be used after being soaked, without cooking them.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For dry beans the package typically will tell you the measurement for dry, but I'm not looking at your package so I can't tell you for sure. I'm looking at some kidney beans and it says that a serving is 1/4 cup dry and it has 70 calories. How many calories does your bag of beans say is in the 1/2 cup serving?

For Salads, I do it both ways. Sometimes I soak some garbanzos and toss them in a salad and other times I boil and drain them first. If you want to use them just soaked, be sure that it's a complete soak or you will break your teeth! Also, green lentils taste fabulous in salads after a two hour soak. ..... or you can soak them and put them in a damp papertowel and let them sprout first and put them in the salad.. YUMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE!
  • Helenatrandom
    Options

Definitely need to cook them!
    Thank you.:flowerforyou:
  • Helenatrandom
    Options
    For dry beans the package typically will tell you the measurement for dry, but I'm not looking at your package so I can't tell you for sure. I'm looking at some kidney beans and it says that a serving is 1/4 cup dry and it has 70 calories. How many calories does your bag of beans say is in the 1/2 cup serving?

For Salads, I do it both ways. Sometimes I soak some garbanzos and toss them in a salad and other times I boil and drain them first. If you want to use them just soaked, be sure that it's a complete soak or you will break your teeth! Also, green lentils taste fabulous in salads after a two hour soak. ..... or you can soak them and put them in a damp papertowel and let them sprout first and put them in the salad.. YUMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE!
    Thanks for the advice. :flowerforyou: I like my teeth. :bigsmile: (Not the spaces between though...:laugh: )