Appetite suppresant

Options
I am really struggling with being hungry. I have cut back to 1000-1200 calories per day from 2500 or more per day. Are there any appetite suppresants that really help with the hunger? I don't want to get dependent on them - but really could use some help.

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    peppermint
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Water works wonders. Lots of Water.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Water
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Why did you cut back so much? You can eat more and still lose weight, if 2500 really was making you maintain your weight.
  • zoeysmom01
    zoeysmom01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more protein and nutrient dense foods. Also, I like to snack on nuts. Just about a tablespoon or two and a glass of water seems to help take the edge off the hunger and it seems to last a little longer than a piece of fruit.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think you are eating enough. Also, what are you eating? A lot of people try to keep their old eating habits, but try sticking it into a set-calorie box. It doesn't quite work. If you are continuing to eat "junk" foods and things like that while trying to stick to a certain calorie goal, you are setting yourself up to be hungry. Make sure your diet is made up of lean proteins, lots of fiber, fruits and veggies. You can eat a lot with fewer calories, since most of those things are naturally lower-calorie. Hope that helps!
  • Arlenerow
    Options
    Try eating more protein and cutting out the refined carbohydrates. Protein holds you much longer. And drink, drink, drink plenty of water! Cutting down calories isn't the only part of the weight losing equation. Perhaps consulting a nutritionist would be helpful too. Good luck!
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat over 1200 calories. I eat between 12-1500 cals and have been losing weight. Also as far as hunger suppresant. Try black coffee. It's a natural appetite suppressant.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Have you tried breaking your total calories into 5 meals a day? It helps keep your blood sugar stable. I know you hate water, but it really helps. Lastly, that is a huge drop in calories all at once. Try dropping your calories at a slower rate to find out what works for you. Every BODY is different. I believe 1200 calories may just be too low for you personally.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    The very best appetite suppressant I have come across is a long run of at least 13 miles. At the very least. The longer the run, the longer I'm not hungry. It's very effective. The problem; when you run for a really long time and then you aren't hungry for a really long time you only have a very short time to eat a whole lot of calories. However, then you can eat all of those calories you didn't want to eat before.

It really works! :flowerforyou:
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    I would side with the individuals who are saying you are not eating enough. My sister had 120 pounds to lose and MPF has her at 1890 calories a day and she has lost 20 pounds in 3 months and is never hungry. She goes over once in awhile too and is still losing weight. I can't imagine what she was eating before. I, on the other hand, am thin and ALWAYS hungry. I wish there was something I could do but I just have to be hungry (1570 cal/day to maintain my weight). I figure, I would rather be hungry and thin.....and I stick to plan.
  • Granny1227
    Options
    1200 calories is the amount MFP assigned me when I entered my data.
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options
    The very best appetite suppressant I have come across is a long run of at least 13 miles. At the very least. The longer the run, the longer I'm not hungry. It's very effective. The problem; when you run for a really long time and then you aren't hungry for a really long time you only have a very short time to eat a whole lot of calories. However, then you can eat all of those calories you didn't want to eat before.

this would work great if you are a strong runner, for me personally, running or *ahem* trying to run 13 miles in 1 WEEK would possibly kill me!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

this would work great if you are a strong runner, for me personally, running or *ahem* trying to run 13 miles in 1 WEEK would possibly kill me!

The exertion is relative I suppose.
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes... protein, fat (nuts), water, and exercise have all regulated my appetite. I'm rarely hungry anymore, and when I am it's like "OK, it's time to eat soon..." vs "ROAR ROAR ROAR EAT THE FIRST THING IN SIGHT!" LOL.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the amount MFP assigned me when I entered my data.

I was given the same amount when I started. I decided a while ago that I wasn't getting enough to lose and keep myself healthy. I upped mine to 1400 and still can lose weight, but I feel much better. And I almost never feel hungry, but if I do, I know it is in what I ate, not how much I ate.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My mirror is an appetite suppressant.
  • victoria543
    victoria543 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is hard sticking to 1200 and only eating 3 meals a day so it can make it easier to do 5 small meals plus try a glass of water half an hr prior to eating
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If you change your settings to lose 1 pound a week, I doubt MFP will give you 1200 calories.
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My settings are for 1lb per week and I've been allocated 1200 calories. I manage well tthough and don't find I'm hungry - well - not very often!