Advice for a couch potato?

Options
Hello! I'm Serena, and I'm hoping to be sticking around MFP for more than a few weeks as I try to change my life!

At the moment, I am working mostly on changing my eating habits. I did calorie counting before, which helped rein in my appetite and retrain my body/brain, but undid all my hard work in the 2 weeks since my wedding when I decided to throw caution to the wind. Needless to say, I hate calorie counting and I don't want to do it forever! But I need to stick with it long enough to made good habits.

Anyway - I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, and have not had much success in incorporating large workouts into my weekly routines. Rather than ignore exercise completely, I'm looking for some quick (10 min?) workouts I can start doing daily (or at least more than 4xweek, is my goal), small stuff to get my body used to moving again. I live in Minnesota, so while just going for a short walk every day would be sufficient for me right now, its going to be too cold for that very soon! :ohwell:

Replies

• Moronar
    Moronar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If only weight loss could be as simple as taking a pill that turned excess fat into little blob monsters, but alas it is not.

Maybe you could try some beginner workout videos off of youtube, they generally only last about 10 minutes and there are a lot of videos to choose from so you could watch some first and decide if they seem like something you could do easily.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    it's never too cold to walk outside. If it is............. then RUN ;)

I used to have a "10 minute Pilates" DVD that was quick little blurbs of different places to strengthen and tone your body, all you needed was some space in front of your TV. You could do 10 minutes or 30 minutes, it was "easy", but ultimately, the hardest part was getting into the workout clothes and turning the TV on.

::edit:: 10 Minute Solution http://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Solution-Lara-Hudson/dp/B0002J58ME I think it was very similar to this, maybe an older version. My father in law took it from me and never returned it, LOL
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Get a cheap bike and start cycling? Much more fun than running or walking and can be used as viable local transport, for commuting etc. :)
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lovin' the Dr. Who profile pic!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I assume you watch alot of TV?

At each commerical break. Pick an exercise. ie... pushups, lunges, sit ups, burpees, planks, pulls ups you have a bar, stretching etc. etc etc.
  • SZewski
    SZewski Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I vigorously clean my house when I can't fit in a walk and it's dirty. An hour of dusting, bending over to pick toys up and vacuuming can burn up some calories.
  • aprillynn4676
    Options
    I live in Minnesota too, so I know there are days when it is really TOO COLD to go outside for more than a few minutes. Even just walking to the end of your block and back will help. Otherwise, invest in a treadmill. I found one for a fair price off of Craigslist and use that on days when it's cold or raining. Want a MN friend who is basically in the same boat as you. My weight right now is hovering a bit above 200... I am aiming for 135 because I am only 5'2". This website has been tremendous help!
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you are watching Dr Who then it is worth sitting on the couch a little bit. Just not 8 hours at a time like I tend to do. My easiest things to get off my butt are just to clean or walk. I'm also in school and my job is active so my workouts are sometime built in. You will figure out what works for you if you give it some time.
  • Mandy1780
    Options
    I just started as well. You sound alot like me! Much to young to feel this old!! I would say if you have a wii to get a program for it....I have a wii and a program and dont use it like I should. So my advice to you is tuck in the tummy and clean the house! LOL. Good luck!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Nice TARDIS.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Nice TARDIS.

I agree. Get a treadmill and when the Doctor runs, you run.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite issue as I live in the desert Southwest. When it's 110° outside, even walking is too much. I bought a stationary bike a few years ago so I have a low-impact indoor exercise I can do at any time I want.
  • serenarae
    Options
    Woah! I seriously did not expect so much feedback... this is awesome! :happy:

I would actually really love to be able to own and use a bike, but the logistics are just mental in the Twin Cities suburbs!

And oddly enough I don't watch all that much TV, but I do work at a desk job, and the husband and I are homebodies so I sure *feel* like a couch potato!

I love the cleaning idea, and the youtube one too... no excuse to not fit those into my day! I'm hoping to work myself up to the energy level where I just *want* to go outside and run, regardless of how blizzardy it is!
  • serenarae
    Options
    Nice TARDIS.

"Love the running!"
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Nice TARDIS.

"Love the running!"

but seriously, it helps. He's always running. I have, on multiple occasions, when running thought, "I could stop" and then thought, "You'll never keep up with The Doctor if you do" and then I kicked booty.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I assume you watch alot of TV?

At each commerical break. Pick an exercise. ie... pushups, lunges, sit ups, burpees, planks, pulls ups you have a bar, stretching etc. etc etc.

I do this!....ok, I really do this with cleaning not working out....but it's moving. :-)
  • myshell26
    Options
    I really like the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" workouts. You can do the 1 mile walk in the comfort of your own home and do the longer miles when you have extra time. I hate counting calories too. Well... not so much counting them (since MFP makes it pretty easy), but measuring out every meal. I have twice the amount of dishes as usual now, but it's so worth it! : )
  • Tams1408
    Options
    Get a WII Fit Plus. We love ours. You burn calories while you play games. :wink:
  • cassblue21
    Options
    Hey! If you do have streaming netflix there is a series of 10 min solutions that you can watch on there. And you can pick what part of your body to work and do different parts each time. I love the arm workout on there and none of them are too intense to do either. I wish you well on your journey and hope you find something you like and can stick with! :)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k