No Period??

Options
Im 22 and currently weigh 151. I've been eating better and exercising since August 4th. I've lost 14.4 pounds so far. I missed a whole cycle last month and in suppose to get it today. I don't cramp nearly as much as I used to. I am not pregnant. Am I dieting or exercising too much to cause this or could it just be stress related? I've always had normal periods til I had my daughter almost a year ago. Since then I got it a few days early or late but I have never missed before. Any thoughts?

Thank you! :))

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    That's pretty normal with the start of a diet, but I would consult your doctor about that.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You would have to exercise SOOO much to stop your period (think GI Jane). Could be stress..maybe.

I was late once or twice when I had big loss months, and I know lots of others were as well. But, no one missed completely.

Have you taken a pregnancy test?
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My doctor ordered a blood test to see if I was pregnant but that's it.
  • genmills2001
    Options
    I'd be more worried if I STARTED having a period than if you stopped having one... But is your calorie intake for the day at a healthy level?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    As a wise MFPer once said, "I'm no doctor, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.."

It could be normal, it could be really seriously bad news. You should probably call your medical professional of choice.
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue the last few months with the extra stress from going back to school. My sleep patterns are all over the place and my body is completely confused. It could be a lot of different things. Maybe should see a doctor in case it is a real problem if you miss again. I know this doesn't help but I understand how annoying irregular periods are.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Preaching to the choir girl. I track mine with an app... I haven't had one since 9/9 and not pregnant.. I blame stress, and diet. I called my doctor and he just wanted to give me progesterone or something like that to make me start. I declined.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'd go see a doctor vs. asking people online. I've lost almost 30 lbs since July and my cramps might be lighter, but nothing is missed....and I'd LOVE nothing more than to miss one once in a while!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    That's normal when you change your eating and exercise habits. It's one way your body adjusts. If it lasts for more than a couple months and doesn't go back to normal, then consult your Dr., otherwise I wouldn't worry. In college I had a 5-week physical training camp where the combination of the increased physical training and so many females being housed together caused our hormones to go crazy and many of us didn't have periods for that month. When we got back to our normal daily routines our bodies settled down and it went right back to normal.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started my diet and exercise in September and this month I gained the water weight as I do before a period and it never came. Still waiting, all the water weight (bloating) has since been lost but no period. My idea was to wait 2 more weeks and then I would consult my doc. Good luck
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet I skipped a whole month.

My doctor said its normal to miss a period with new exercise and eating habits.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes me skip a month if I haven't exercised in a while, and then start doing so regularly... and so does stress. So either of those could cause you to skip.

But if you are at all concerned, just see your doc... that's what they are there for :bigsmile:
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    it could be a medical problem like pcos. check doctor
  • CaitlinMyers428
    Options
    I will call her if it doesn't show up again. I'm eating pretty good. I'm also on birth control. I actually just moved and just got settled in. But I don't think I've been on my period since the first week of September. I'm afraid I'm stressing too much about it now and that I will delay it more.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Def. see a doctor if you don't get it in the next month. I stopped getting periods when I first started watching my food intake and started becoming active at the age of 17. It turns out that I have POF = Premature Ovarian Failure.
  • ratcuddler
    Options
    I'd be more worried if I STARTED having a period than if you stopped having one... But is your calorie intake for the day at a healthy level?

Just to be curious why would you be worried? I have no had a regular period EVER. It is usually years apart. Since I have started eating better and exercising, the last 4 months I have had a period regular, like clock work. I'm not sure if it's soething I should be worried about or not.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Just to be curious why would you be worried? I have no had a regular period EVER. It is usually years apart. Since I have started eating better and exercising, the last 4 months I have had a period regular, like clock work. I'm not sure if it's soething I should be worried about or not.

...because, he's a dude. As in, male. Guys that get a period should be VERY concerned... lol!! :bigsmile:
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I don't think it's anything serious as long as you don't go longer than a few months without getting one. I once was dieting and exercising a lot and I didn't get my period for an entire year, although it was really fantastic not having to deal with it, it obviously wasn't healthy. I would say just keep an eye on it, if it's been 4 months and you still don't get your period... then I would talk to your doctor.
  • CaitlinMyers428
    Options
    Thank you everyone! If it doesn't come this time I will see my doctor.