Target Heart Rate -- can't keep mine that LOW

Options
So, I've been told on occasion by several health/fitness "experts" (for lack of a better word) that the secret to burning fat is to keep your heart rate within the target heart range while working out. For me, the target heart rate is 118-145, with a maximum heart rate of 181. Being a type A personality, I always worked out with the idea that harder is better, the higher my heart rate/exertion the more calories I'm burning so I'll lose weight faster, etc. According to the experts, I'm getting my heart rate TOO high so that's why I'm not having much success with weight loss. So, I thought I would give the target heart rate theory a try. Problem is, I have a hard time keeping my heart rate from exceeding this range (no problem getting into the range, just can't stay in it!) Most recently, a nutritionist suggested I skip the elliptical and go to the treadmill, walking on an incline. Even then, my heart rate easily gets out of this range. If I really try to maintain a target heart rate range, I have to walk a much slower pace and with little or no incline. I feel kind of silly working at such a slow pace -- how beneficial could this possibly be? I mean, if I'm gonna work out, I'm gonna go all out! Lol. :laugh: Anyone have some feedback?

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    As you become more fit - which by the way, doesn't always mean being smaller - your heart rate will lower itself. When I started running, I was not overweight, just out of shape. My heartrate was around 185 when I ran. Now, after several months, my heartrate rarely goes above 169.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    intervals get it up bring it down ......... eventually youll have a lower rate
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Work out at a challenging but comfortable pace for you. Higher intensity leads to more overall calorie burn. The difference in actual fat burning is negligible. Bottom line is that you're burning energy - whether it's coming from carbs or fat storage doesn't matter as much as your overall burn.

I'd go insane with boredom if I tried to keep myself in the so-called "fat burning zone."
  • jeansjem
    Options
    I have notice if I can keep my heart rate in range I do have been luck loosing some weight. But I have hard time going that slow too. I feel like I am not getting a very good work out then. I was told by expert that when i get in better shape it will be eaiser to keep my heart at the target rate. I was told to keep moving and it will come off. I can't wait to see what other answer you get.
  • wtorc
    wtorc Posts: 9
    Options
    ?
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    http://www.heart.com/heart-rate-chart.html

Check out the above site and look toward the bottom of the page where it gives working heart rates based on what you're trying to achieve. Theoretically, you can't work above your maximum heart rate.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Working out at a higher heartrate is not really problematic. Each heartrate zone does different things for the body. You hear a lot of bull about needing to workout in the fat burning zone. This is crap. It is true that working out at higher heart rates burns more carbs than fat, but this just means your body will burn fat while you are resting. Basically the more calories you burn while working out the more weight you will loose. Also interval training up to close to MHR has been shown in many studies to be very effective at raising your resting metabilic rate.

How did you calculate your MHR 181 seems awfully low
  • sheila0321
    sheila0321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a high heart rate myself that spikes up to the 180's very quickly. There is a program on the Treadmill that I use at the gym that allows me to set the heart rate max when I reach this (I wear a HRM) the treadmill either decreses the incline or vice versa raises it to keep me at that THR that I have preset into the machine. I find now that I have to increse my speed to actually keep it at that fat burning zone and not into the cardio zone.I usually do this once a week. I have noticed a difference. Hope this helps some.
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been side-tracked by my job lately, so I'm just now getting to read everyone's suggestions. I checked out that website from love22step and my calculated MHR is 187 (must have been using the male calculation before when I had 181). The same website has a chart for target zones, and my zone for "Weight Loss" is 60-70%, or 112-131. That's what I'm getting at -- at that heart rate, I feel like I'm not exerting myself ENOUGH. My husband has the opposite problem -- he can't seem to get his heart rate that HIGH. And if I had to judge who is more "fit", it would be me. I've increased my activity much more over the last 8 months or so, whereas he just started 2 weeks ago. Anyway, my typical "cardio" session is walking on the treadmill at 3.5 mph at a 3.5 - 5 incline (I vary it as I go to prevent boredom). Outside of that, I've been doing yoga, pilates, and some light strength training. So, I'm just wondering if this whole target heart rate thing is bogus. Wouldn't it be so much simpler if the same weight-loss diet & exercise formula worked for everyone? Then we could all just follow those steps and have successful weight loss at the same pace as everyone else! With all the conflicting information on heart rate, the right exercises to do, the right foods to eat, what foods to avoid, etc. it's no wonder so many give up! I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet though! Maybe persistence is the only thing that will pay off! :laugh: