Mixing Vegan and non-Vegan eaters. Help?

Options
I am still in the pre-stages of trying veganism. I am trying to plan meals and foods for success in the long run, but I have not as yet made the change. Meals that I eat by myself (breakfast, lunch, snacks) are a no-brainer. But where I keep getting hung up is dinner (the family meal). My family won't want to (and I don't expect them to) drastically change their food just because I do. For those with SO and kids, how do you make your main meals vegan without making two different meals???

PS. We already eat a few family meals that are already vegetarian and would be easy to convert to vegan. Mainly beans and rice. I am looking for a wider variety of meals that I can alter for vegan without cooking twice. Thanks!

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I always find that most vegan meals can be vastly improved with the addition of bacon. So maybe real bacon bits.
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    would it be simple enough perhaps to just cook and meat seperately ? oven baked chicken breasts or whatever meat and serve together for those eating both ? sorry I am not vegan but just a thought :)
  • starrstarr007
    Options
    I can't give you great advice, but when I was vegetarian and my family wasn't, it was a lot of vegetarian base foods (like a pasta, casserole, etc etc) and then there were two toppings... mine would be grilled portobello mushrooms and theirs would be grilled chicken.

The other thing I did was make and freeze a lot of meals that I could toss in the oven. So make a huge thing on vegan lasagna and then put portions in those small casserole dishes or corning ware type stuff. So when you make lasagna for your family, put one of your portions in the oven right along side.

I think friend in this situation with be planning ahead. Good luck!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to make it work. I cook for my family and myself separately.
  • MelodyRF
    Options
    I don't have kids, just a husband, but I make something for both of us (pasta, stir fry, salad) and if he wants to add meat then he cooks it himself. So far he's been actually adapting to veganism pretty well and only makes meat every once in awhile.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My partner and I work mostly like StarrStarr said above. I often bulk cook at the weekends to do my meals during the week - when i'm eating those, he'll have something that he can just stick in the oven or microwave. Alternatively I'll do a pasta dish, a stir fry, fajitas or a curry and he will just add some cooked meat to his portion. Works OK for us.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I just transitioned to vegan about a month ago after being vegetarian for a year. My husband is not vegan- he's pescatarian- still eats seafood, cheese and eggs. I only cook vegan food, so if he wants a regular pizza or tuna sandwich- he makes it himself. It's been a little difficult and caused some conflict because he was used to the way I was cooking before and I keep removing things that we both used to like. I'm just going to keep making vegan food and if he wants something else, he'll have to deal. One of the joys of being vegan is not having to handle raw meat ever again.

Sorry not really any advice, just maybe find some good vegan recipes that everyone likes. I add meat substitutes so he is satisfied (usually). My hubby really likes Quorn products and the veggie bowl and soup recipes in my blog- feel free to check it out. :)

Good luck!