question about protein daily goals?

Options
I don't know much about nutrition but to me it seems like the daily goal for protein seems low. i was wondering if anyone could share some light on this for me. My goal amount is 45 but I seem to constantly be over it. An example of what protein i am eating is this.... 1/2 c of 1% cottage cheese in the morning for breakfast
some sort of healthy choice steamed meal for lunch averaging 21 gm of protein
4 ounces of chicken breast at dinner
It doesn't seem like much but with the rest of my diet I never hit my goal, I am always over. Is there a reason that the allowance is low?

Thanks in advance
T

Replies

• KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree. The numbers in MFP match the USRDA given by the Feds. Personally, I think that, at least for losing weight, 50% carbs is a bit crazy. I set mine in MFP to 20/50/30 carb/protein/fat. You can adjust it for yourself in the Goals section.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've always read on here that what MFP sets out for you in protein is kind of low. You can google articles for how much protein you should take in and then change the settings. There is a certain formula based on weight.
  • karenx30
    Options
    If you go into the change goal option, then the customize option, you'll see what percentage MFP automatically set up your protein calories to be. I can't remember what it is, but you can change that goal for yourself if you'd like a higher percentage of protein. For example, I have mine set at 40% protein, 35% carbs, and 25% fat. I personally had a problem with any protein higher than that....:embarassed:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over too, though I don't try to be. Most people on this site seem to think the more protein the better, but there really isn't any science to back that up long term. If you have any current medical problems you should talk to your doctor to see if a high protein diet is safe for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847

Are high-protein diets safe for weight loss?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    For most healthy people, a high-protein diet generally isn't harmful if followed for a short time, such as three to four months, and may help with weight loss. However, the risks of using a high-protein diet — usually with carbohydrate restriction — for the long term are still being studied. Several health problems may result if a high-protein diet is followed for an extended time:

Some high-protein diets restrict carbohydrate intake so much that they can result in nutritional deficiencies or insufficient fiber, which can cause such health problems as constipation and diverticulitis, and may increase your risk for certain types of cancer.
    High-protein diets often promote foods such as red meat and full-fat dairy products. Some experts believe a diet rich in these foods can increase your risk of heart disease.
    A high-protein diet may cause or worsen liver or kidney problems because your body may already have trouble eliminating all the waste products of protein metabolism.
    If you want to follow a high-protein diet, do so only as a short-term weight-loss aid. Also, choose your protein wisely. Good choices include fish, skinless chicken, lean beef, pork and low-fat dairy products. Choose carbs that are high in fiber, such as whole grains and nutrient-dense vegetables and fruit. And if you have kidney disease, liver disease or diabetes, if you're taking medication for a chronic health condition, or if you're pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before starting a high-protein diet.
  • kungfu84
    Options
    The best way to figure out how many grams of protein you need per day is through this calculation. First convert your weight in pounds to weight in kilograms, by taking your weight in lbs/2.2 (ex: 137/2.2 = 62.3). Next take your weight in kg and multiply by 0.8-2.0 depending on your level of activity. I would suggest at least 1.0 (0.8 if usually for those considered sedentary) and never over 2.0 (which is usually used for elite athletes). I workout at an intensity level of 7-9, 4-6 days a week and I usually use 1.7 as my multiple. (ex: 62.3x 1.7 = 106 g/day). Sorry if this is too wordy, another way to look at it is that of what you consume for the day protein should make up 25-30% of those calories. Hope this helps....please feel free to contact me with any other questions (I am trained in Nutrition and Fitness).
  • tfrancoeur
    Options
    Thank you, this does help! So to get it straight....If I am weighing in at 162lbs that would equal 73.6 kilo. I workout (almost) everyday but not hardcore, so i would multiple that by 1, so my protein allowance would be closer to ? 73? opposed to the 45 my goal suggests?
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am running and according to Runner's World experts, a runner should get at least 75 grams of protein per day to maintain muscle mass when losing weight. I am also hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and I feel better when I eat a moderately lower carb, higher protein diet. I am happy when I go over the recommended amount of protein and below the recommended amount of carbs. You have to play around with it and see what your body feels best with and what you can eat and still lose weight. (Better for maintaining muscle to lose slow.) I also like the meals in the flat belly diet books and they tend to have higher protein, monounsaturated fats and whole grain carbs. This seems to work for me.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
  • tfrancoeur
    Options
    I used the calculator and it said that the right protein for me is 58, and that seems like it would be very attainable. Thank you :)