Prerace suggestions

Options
Hi Everyone. I have just signed my hubby and I for our first (and hopefully not last) race. It is a 5k race on Thanksgiving. I was wondering if any race veterans have any suggestions about eating before and after the race. While this one is a short race we have been training and are planning on doing the Disneyland 1/2 marathon next year. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• runner_girl_120
    Options
    They say you don't need to carboload for such short races, but I have always found that if I eat my maintenance calories plus some the day before, I race WAY BETTER-have more energy and kick! Morning of, I always like to have something that will energize me, like oatmeal and a banana with peanut butter. Make sure you eat 3 hours before your race! Then after, they usually have snacks for you there that do as a post run food!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half-marathon Nov. 13th, and am training with a group. Here's what I've learned during training:

We were told that you should eat something about 30-45 mins before that you would eat if you were coming off a stomach flu - basically the thing that comes to mind that's not too harsh on your stomach. I have a VERY sensitive stomach, and I like to eat a piece of toast with a little peanut butter and honey. The point is faster digesting carbs from the bread and honey will give you some energy to start. Some people don't like protein before a run - I can have a little, or I get sick. I upped it to 2 slices of bread when my mileage got up to about 8-9 miles or more. Eat well the day before, but no, you don't really need to 'carb load' - just don't 'low carb' either :) And don't run the day before - rest day. Then all of the glycogen stores will be unused from the food you eat that day for the next morning's race.

Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do anything special. Just eat whatever you normally eat before a run.

I'm a morning runner and I run and race on empty stomach, but you need to figure out what works best for you.
  • Twatley703
    Twatley703 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All suggestions listed are good ones especially for a 5k, a banana, greek yogurt or a bagel with peanut butter works great. I usually don't eat before a 5k as they are usually in the morning so it is a short run with no carbs, however if you do want something I suggest 2-3 hours prior. Also don't train the day before..Good Luck and enjoy the moment....Remeber pain is an illusion!!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half-marathon Nov. 13th, and am training with a group. Here's what I've learned during training:

We were told that you should eat something about 30-45 mins before that you would eat if you were coming off a stomach flu - basically the thing that comes to mind that's not too harsh on your stomach. I have a VERY sensitive stomach, and I like to eat a piece of toast with a little peanut butter and honey. The point is faster digesting carbs from the bread and honey will give you some energy to start. Some people don't like protein before a run - I can have a little, or I get sick. I upped it to 2 slices of bread when my mileage got up to about 8-9 miles or more. Eat well the day before, but no, you don't really need to 'carb load' - just don't 'low carb' either :) And don't run the day before - rest day. Then all of the glycogen stores will be unused from the food you eat that day for the next morning's race.

Good luck!

Are you doing to San Antonio rock n roll marathon on the 13th?
  • Corachan
    Corachan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate it.