Starting this over. Advice?

Options
Hi. I'm Emily. I used to have a MFP before, but I stopped using it and trying to lose weight. But I'm back and I really want to succeed.

I'm 6' tall and I weigh 166lbs. I don't really just want to lose weight. I'd rather become healthy. All I eat is junk and, now that volleyball is over, I don't do any exercise.

I feel like I need some motivation. I can't really tell my friends here this because they'd be like "Oh who cares? You're pretty. blah blah blah." So yeah.

Any advice on sticking to it?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Wait - you have a MFP account, with friends and everything ... but you can't tell your friends that you're struggling with your diet and exercise? What kind of friends are they, then?
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some better friends.
    You need to do what makes YOU feel good- no need to please other people. Think about WHY you want to develop a healthier lifestyle. That should be motivation enough if you are truly passionate about your reasoning.
    It's not an easy journey, but we're all in this together.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Add some friends her to motivate you to workout and challenge you. Everyone has been great. I getting started again after gaining 30lbs back. I'm ready to make some changes in exercise and eating more healthy.

Add me as a friend if you like. and Good Luck to you.
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Track what you eat, as you're used to. Then when you see all the junk you've eaten, say bad, Bad, BAD EMILY! :laugh:

On the real, try to resist the junkfood cravings by telling yourself the food is fuel. Just like you wouldn't put Regular gas into a vintage diesel Mercedes, you wouldn't want to mess up your body in the same way. I know you said you don't exercise, but try to at least walk for 30 mins daily.

Hope this helps! Friend me if you like.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Step 1... find supportive snarky MFP friends.
    Step 2- Workout
    Step 3 - post for MFP Friends to oogle and make witty supportive comments

In 12 months... you'll be healthy and have awesome MFP friends.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Step 1... find supportive snarky MFP friends.
    Step 2- Workout
    Step 3 - post for MFP Friends to oogle and make witty supportive comments

In 12 months... you'll be healthy and have awesome MFP friends.
    it might not even take 12 months...
  • MamawSue
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Get off track and don't track....BAD! Track Everyday, it REALLY makes a difference. And Friends? They don't have to know a thing! But when you have lost...Oh Yeah, they will notice then!!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I understand about telling friends. I am doing this "alone" at home. However I have great friends here that help motivate me.

I think logging here is more about understanding the choices I make. Yes I still want to loose weight but I realy want to exercise everyday and eat more healthful foods.

I would suggest finding one or two challenges in the fitness area. I did the step challenge last month and ended up starting one for this month. There is also a daily challenge run by charger44 I think. Some of those are great and others are just too much for me. But I can pick and choose which I do.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree, find people who will support your healthy lifestyle change! What helps me is keeping my food diary open and having my news feed automatically update when I exercise. This keeps me accountable for what I eat as well as the exercise I do because all of my friends can see it!

On that note, feel free to add me if you'd like. :flowerforyou:
  • freshstart15
    Options
    Thank you all so much. And to the people who said I need better friends, it's not like they wouldn't be supportive of it. I'm not overweight or anything, so they think I'm fine just how I am. I just want to be healthy. I'll just make some awesome friends on here(:
  • adsumodo
    Options
    You are healthy! At six feel and 166 pounds your BMI is 22.5, which is well within the normal limit. If you were to loose the 31 pounds and be 135 then your BMI would be 18.5, which is underweight for your height.
  • erintheinfj
    erintheinfj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree, find people who will support your healthy lifestyle change! What helps me is keeping my food diary open and having my news feed automatically update when I exercise. This keeps me accountable for what I eat as well as the exercise I do because all of my friends can see it!

On that note, feel free to add me if you'd like. :flowerforyou:

I was just about to say this exact same thing. :)
  • freshstart15
    Options
    You are healthy! At six feel and 166 pounds your BMI is 22.5, which is well within the normal limit. If you were to loose the 31 pounds and be 135 then your BMI would be 18.5, which is underweight for your height.

Well, I'm not really worried about the goal weight. Just more worried about eating better and exercising. I just thought of a decent number to "work towards" though I'll probably stop before then.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Agreed to the points made that you need to some better friends. They may be nice people, possibly too nice. After all....part of being a friend is picking each other up. Not just when we fall, but in general. It all boils down to being accountable for your own actions, but getting a swift kick in the pa-toot once in a while from your MFP pals who want to see you achieve your goals can be a good motivator. I'd expect it from my MFP pals and I'll do the same for them.

Best wishes on achieving your health goals!