Half Marathon is this Saturday! Any last minute advise from

Options
Last May, a friend and I walked our first half marathon. After we finished, we decided to do the C25K program and set a goal to run our next one. We have lost over 100 lbs. between the two of us, graduated from the C25K, and put lots and lots of hours into training. Our race is this Saturday 11/5/11. We are looking for any advise/words of wisdom from those of you who run marathons. Not so much worried about time on this first one as I am finishing. I have no doubt we will finish, but looking for any and all help to get to that finish line!

I've been told to carb up this week, get plenty of rest, and just trust in the training. What has helped you in past races? What do you eat for dinner the night before? Research and friends say a pasta dinner. Has it worked for you? How about breakfast? What's your favorite before a race?

We ran our last long run Sunday night. We have a short run tonight, and our final one on Thursday morning.

Any and all suggestions, words of wisdom, advise, warnings are appreciated!

Thank you :)

p.s. I still can't believe that I'm a runner!!

Replies

• afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Have a great time! Your accomplishments are proof that your dedication and results are enough to call yourself a winner.
    I hope when I run my 5k in 6 weeks (when I finish my C25K) I will be as loose and relaxed to have a lot of fun!
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am not a runner so I can't help there, but try to enjoy it!!

Also... Advice*** not advise. May want to change your topic title.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I don't do anything different than I have or would do if I was doing a training run.
    Dinner the night before a race for me is usually chicken and a baked potato with very little seasoning. I don't like anything heavy or rich on my stomach. Race morning I eat a half eng muffin or slice of toast with peanut butter about 30-45 mins before the race.

Hydrate!!!!!!

Enjoy the race. Trust in your training.
    Don't go out too fast. Don't wear any new clothing/gear that you haven't already tested prior to race day.

HAVE FUN! Good luck.
  • lrodriguez83
    Options
    First, have fun!!!!!
    Second, stay hydrated....
    Third, don't change anything major before a race. Stick with what has been working.
    Light breakfast before run, banana, toast with peanut butter.
    The night before, healthy carbs-wheat pasta, wheat bread along with veggies and protein!
    Drink as much water this week as you can.... Especially Friday, what you run on Saturday will be Friday's water intake!!!
    And last, HAVE FUN!!!! Have someone take pictures and enjoy every moment!
    Congrats!!!!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I finished C25k back in September, but I won't be half marathon ready for another 6 months or so! Kimert had some excellent advice, so there isn't much I can add. Just don't forget: Don't let your mind tell your body what it can't do!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change things up too much - especially with food the night before and the morning of. I would eat whole grain pasta starting mid-week, though.

Stick with your plan. It's gotten you this far and will carry you through.

Now, on the day of the event ... my advice is to have fun. I mean, whats the purpose of doing an event such as this if you're not having fun? Also, take water/Gatorade from the youngest volunteer at the stations. The water those four and five year old kids are handing out taste just a little bit better!

If it's cold, people may be wearing trash bags to keep warm prior to the start of the race. Be careful - they are slippery and they are just tossed on the ground.

Enjoy!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    same as above, dont try anything different food wise. And dont try any new gear. Relax, breath, and have a great race

I also have all my gear ready the night before, make sure your garmin is charged and plugged in!
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You will do fine. Start slow and build up to a comfortable pace. Welcome to running. I have started back today after gaining 30lbs back. When I was running last year, I really enjoyed the challenge of distance. Drink lots of water the couple of days leading up to the race.

Friend me if you like, it is nice to runner friends for motivation and tips.

Good Luck and can't wait to see you post the results.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Like you my first half is this Sunday. I'm not doing anything different the week leading into the race.

The morning of I only have coffee. Nothing special.

I'll run like I've always run....with a steady pace and not in any hurry...then increase my speed as the crowd thins out. I have a goal in mind but not looking to hurt myself just finish with a good time. If you've run any distance you'll be fine.

I've done 5k's, 10k's and treat each race the same.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone especially not wearing new gear on race day. I've been training for a few months for my half and on some of my long runs I've worn new clothes and have gotten blisters around my waist and sores on my side from elastic waist bands and tags.

Good luck!! Lets us know how you do.
  • stephanieseaward
    Options
    Tips:

1) Taper the week of. Don't run too much but it sounds like you are doing this so good job!
    2) Drink tons of water all week...especially 2-3 days before.
    3) Your supper 2 days before your race is apparently the most important. I eat a carb rich meal for 2 nights before. I stay away from whole wheat pasta the night before and stick with white pasta. The reason I do this is I don't want to have bathroom issues the day of the race. I find running such distances that my bowels are over active. I don't like to help with brown pasta.
    4) Don't change your breakfast the day of the race. Go with whatever works for you on your long runs.
    5) I bring food on race day with me. I usually start having food starting at 8km, then again at 16km. BUT....if you haven't been doing this, I don't suggest it as you don't know how your stomach will react.
    6) The day before the race, I lay on my couch all day and reserve as much as my energy as I can. I also take this opportunity to eat some foods that I normally don't eat. CANDY BAR. hee!hee!

By the way....good luck! Your first is so special so enjoy every last minute of it.
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. Start off at a speed that may be a little slower than you expect you could run the full race in. Over a distance this long, your body will sometimes naturally increase/decrease the pace to match what it is capable of. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Alternate between gatorade/water. If anyone is giving out fresh fruit along the run, don't be afraid to take a banana... you'll need the potassium. Don't be afraid of the Gu gel that is often given away at these runs. No, it's not filet mignon, but it's the energy you need in compact form. Good luck!!
  • jlrwilliams
    Options
    I just ran my first full marathon and I got some great advice from Caballo Blanco from the book Born To Run (he was in town speaking so of course I HAD to meet him). He said (and I quote) "Just keep moving". It's really that simple...don't mentally overcomplicate it for yourself. You've worked so hard to get to that race...just enjoy the fact that you are healthy andcan move your body 13.1 miles. That is more than most people can say! Enjoy!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    All great tips!! Best of luck to you. I was talked into running my first half-marathon next September. I have 11 months but still, I'm scared sh*tless!! Good luck!!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Just remember to go slow the first few miles and TAKE WALKING BREAKS!

Best of luck to you!
  • Vmcd
    Vmcd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. And thanks to the member that pointed out I spelled "advice" wrong, but now I'm stressed because I can't figure out how to go back in and fix it! lol

All of these tips are great things to remember, and the one thing that is being repeated is "have fun". Thank you for reminding me that it is supposed to be fun, and something to stress over :)

Happy running everyone! :glasses: