Carb intake

Options
2»

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    joejccva71, MrsCon40, PBJunky, Acg, Sidesteal,

I know the questions here are generally pointed just to adults. As I do have young children in the house, any insight for 3 and 5 year olds what kind of macro needs they have? They are both very trim and active - weight control is not an issue, but teaching them healthy life-long habits are important. I don't have much trust in the pediatrician since they suggested adding very high sugar liquids to their diets to help them put on weight - they are not underweight and have been consistent on their growth chart. There isn't any need for them to gain, but definetly, I don't want their weight percentage to go down.

3 and 5 year old kids don't need to have their macros managed. They need a well balanced diet with lots of milk, fruits, vegetables, and lots of love.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I know the questions here are generally pointed just to adults. As I do have young children in the house, any insight for 3 and 5 year olds what kind of macro needs they have?

My answer is assumption here, please take that into consideration and perhaps consider consulting a different pediatrician for a more medically related answer.

I would not consider tracking macros for kids that age, even if you are doing it and they aren't. I would follow a general intuitive sense of "health" by feeding them lots of fruits/veggies/meats and don't give them cheetos for breakfast like my brother does to his kids.

And speaking strictly as a parent, I would also give them sugary treats in moderation.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Completely agree joe.

I learned last year in one of my nutrition courses that kids do need a slightly higher protein intake.

They also should not be getting a large amount of fiber. Fiber can cause children to under eat because they get full much more quickly then adults
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I know the questions here are generally pointed just to adults. As I do have young children in the house, any insight for 3 and 5 year olds what kind of macro needs they have? They are both very trim and active - weight control is not an issue, but teaching them healthy life-long habits are important. I don't have much trust in the pediatrician since they suggested adding very high sugar liquids to their diets to help them put on weight - they are not underweight and have been consistent on their growth chart. There isn't any need for them to gain, but definetly, I don't want their weight percentage to go down.

3 and 5 year old kids don't need to have their macros managed. They need a well balanced diet with lots of milk, fruits, vegetables, and lots of love.

Perfectly said Joe!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This, + exercise. A decent well balanced diet and something resembling a limit on tv/video game time works wonders.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Kids are a whole different animal.

Generally speaking, kids need about the same amount of protein (0.5g per pound of bw), a little more fat (~30-35%), and the rest from carbs.

For the average kid under 10 a couple glasses of 2% milk and a decent piece of meat and handful of peanuts each day should cover most of the protein and fats needed. Fill in the rest with veggies, fruits and whole grains.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

They do get this - and no cheetos for breakfast. Sometimes they get air popped popcorn with almonds and dried fruit for breakfast, but no cheetos.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't force your kids to look like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsmzHFiZVrWKEQObY1ZWsMrzK1ddm7znoJZqOVUji2YFzEJJtmOA
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't force your kids to look like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsmzHFiZVrWKEQObY1ZWsMrzK1ddm7znoJZqOVUji2YFzEJJtmOA

Haven't done any weight training with them... They have tried push ups though, and that is pretty entertaining!
  • NPAdamsPope
    Options
    Using my current weight (163) to lose weight (1 lb a week) I should only eat 1200 calories. It just ain't gonna happen and that is why I use a lower carb approach. My calorie intake is not bad (about 1700 calories a day plus or minus) but it is not low enough to lose weight. The lower carb gets me there, if I'm good about it. So low carb does not really equal lower calorie, particularly if I decided I wanted to eat a ribeye for every meal. Of course I don't do that. I eat plenty of vegetables as well. Sometimes my protein is lean and lower calorie, other times it is not by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear from the high carb and low carb groups for this one. What do you think is the ideal goal for carb intake and why? Do you count carbs from fruits and veggies in your carb count, or do you count carbs that are not from fiber only in your count?

I am more of a low carber................................Was Atkins now transitioned over to Paleo.

It is more of a controlled carb way of life..

I can only speak for myself as far as Ideal goal for carbs for ME - everyone's ideal intake is going to be different.

You have to count carbs from fruits and vegetables because they contain carbs just like calories.

I don't believe in that net carb BS. Subtracting the fiber only allows for eating more carbs because it looks like you have eaten less carbs - total myth and BS.

With that being said. My carb intake is only 5-10% of my daily eating plan. Fat and protein make up the rest.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    OK, let me give a little more background here. While there are obviously some people that do well with a high carb diet, I am not one of them. From personal experience and observation of others, many people seem to do very well on lower carb diets and lose weight more consistently, and if maintained, keep the weight off better. I can find plenty of 'evidence' from a variety of sources about why low carb is best and high carb is bad or why high carb is good and low carb is bad.

I also have concerns that what I choose to include or not include in my diet (definition used here being what I eat consistently, not weight loss method) being an example for my kids. My kids are 3 and 5, and I understand that their nutritional needs are not the same as mine, but it is very difficult to figure out what their dietary needs really are when it comes to nutrients as well. So I want to get the best balance for everyone in my house.

There is nothing unbalanced with fats, protein, vegetables and fruits,nuts and seeds and dairy(if your children are tolerable). Grains are not something anyone needs.
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump....interesting info.