Feet going to sleep...

Options
I am having an issue with my feet "falling asleep"/tingling when I'm on the elliptical & it's limiting my time on this machine. If I don't get off short after they start tingling they feel pretty close to being numb (& I don't want to fall & bust my A). They don't tingle or fall asleep at any other time or during any other activity. When I run on pavement, track or ground they don't go to sleep; what's the dang deal?

Replies

• hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me, but only one foot.
  • bhoochy
    bhoochy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    the exact same thing happens to me but I try and work through it to finish workout. normally what I do is take a few second to lean back onto my heals and let the blood flow back into my toes before hitting it hard again...this seems to help a bit!!!
  • LindsayT2012
    LindsayT2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Happens to me as well I push threw it and it goes away. its wierd though Im curious as to why it happens
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. It's because your shoes are too tight, it restricts the blood-flow to your feet. Ellipticals put your feet in unnatural positions, which contributes to the problem as well. Good luck!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It happens to a lot of people, from what I read it is because of the pressure on your feet, if you move your feet every once in a while, or even just wiggle your toes you should be ok.
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Me too this last week. Only my right foot. I thought it was my new Nikes but it only happens on the elliptical. I have to lift my foot off the machine every so often to let the blood circulate back through and then I keep going. Weird!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Sounds like a circulation issue. Check your shoes or the fit, something is restricting blood flow in the feet.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My feet do this too. I think what happens (at least with me) is that my feet get shoved all the way up to the front of my shoes and my circulation to my feet gets cut off. The solution might be shoes a half size bigger or finding a different way to tie them. I have a different way I tie my shoes now, google "how to tie a heel lock".
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I am having an issue with my feet "falling asleep"/tingling when I'm on the elliptical & it's limiting my time on this machine. If I don't get off short after they start tingling they feel pretty close to being numb (& I don't want to fall & bust my A). They don't tingle or fall asleep at any other time or during any other activity. When I run on pavement, track or ground they don't go to sleep; what's the dang deal?

Restricted blood flow, pinched nerve...best to go see a doctor
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    How many miles do you have on your shoes? did you buy them a half size bigger? sounds like you either need new insoles (if this is a new problem with your kicks) or a different pair of kicks because they're too thight (your feet swell when you exercise).

Edit: I do find it strange that it only happens on the elliptical though.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Same here. I just make a point of shifting my foot position every few minutes to keep it from happening.
  • jl12911
    Options
    I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem. I do 60 minutes of Zumba 4 times a week and 1/2 way through the workout my feet go numb. I started going barefoot and I feel better, plus I can move easier with only my socks on. :smile:
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. It's because your shoes are too tight, it restricts the blood-flow to your feet. Ellipticals put your feet in unnatural positions, which contributes to the problem as well. Good luck!

^^^ this - I experienced the same issue, loosened the laces and it really helped.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I thought my feet were just strange! Glad it's not just me.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Me too but only one foot.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    If your feet fall asleep, especially in activities that require much dorsi-flexion like driving, or the elipitical, there could be sciatic nerve entrapment in the membrane just below the knee. It is the membrane that stretches like a curtain between your two shin bones. The sciatic nerve passes through a hole there.

Stretch your calves using both the standard stretch and the advanced soleus stretch, often, and see if you get some relief.

You will know this is your issue if the sleeping tingles are mostly radiating from the little toe and the outside of the foot.
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    Well I thought it was just me........It usually happens around the 20 minute mark...I just step in the sides and keep pushing and pulling and wiggle my toes till the wake up.

Good to know that I just need to get new shoes......This is my excuse to go shopping now. LoL
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    If your feet fall asleep, especially in activities that require much dorsi-flexion like driving, or the elipitical, there could be sciatic nerve entrapment in the membrane just below the knee. It is the membrane that stretches like a curtain between your two shin bones. The sciatic nerve passes through a hole there.

Stretch your calves using both the standard stretch and the advanced soleus stretch, often, and see if you get some relief.

You will know this is your issue if the sleeping tingles are mostly radiating from the little toe and the outside of the foot.

BTW if you do the advanced soleus stretch and your foot goes to sleep, chances are this is your issue.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Me too....but only when I am bicycling and its only my toes. I try to wriggle them, and I think that works because I don't remember it lasting through the whole ride. It seems to start after about 10 miles. Sure not bad enough to make me stop riding, though!!
  • txangel0319
    txangel0319 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I'm not the only foot tingling freak! LOL! It mostly affects my right foot, but I can feel it a bit in my left foot, too.
    I, too, think that it's weird that it ONLY happens on the elliptical. I can jog around my neighborhood or at a running trail for miles & it not bother me at all. I will try all of the advice given!
    Thanks everyone!