Running attire

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to wear for winter running?

I am being forced to trade in my shorts for pants, my pants keep falling off my *kitten*, they arent meant for running. Need help =)
Thank you

I was looking at Nike Pro Combat Hyperwarm tights, anyone have these?

Replies

• GateCrasher1
    GateCrasher1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Polyester bell-bottoms aught to do the trick.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I found some warm(er) running pants at TJ Maxx...not sure if you have one around where you live though...
  • jodie0520
    jodie0520 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Trade it in for a treadmill. Running in the cold sucks. :laugh:
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Trade it in for a treadmill. Running in the cold sucks. :laugh:

Yep....I agree.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of gapFit running tights. I love them! Don't know how well they are for really cold weather (I used them for a road race that the temp was between 38-45 degrees) but they were super comfortable, didn't fall down at all. I also wear gapFit g-flex pant (has a slight boot shape opening) they come in short, reg, and long lengths, super comfy, great to run in. I used them a lot in the winter last year. I also have a spandex/lycra running jacket that keeps my upper body warm, and i'll pair that with gloves and a knit hat if I need more warmth.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    this is my first winter of running. I usually walk on my lunch break, so I wear whatever I wore to work + tennis shoes.

I am not happy about having to run in pants - I live in Louisiana, I should be able to wear shorts year-round, but I have heard that is not the case. My BF is a loyal Under Armor guy -- I am sure I will get something UA to run in.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some cold weather running pants from roadrunnersports.com. Great website with decent prices.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    YAY, someone else posted the topic I was going to................

I am running a 5K on December 3rd and need to know what I need for gear.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    lululemon leggings are the best! but they're $$$$ :-/
  • shannld
    Options
    Check out MEC or The Running Room, they will have tights specifically for cold weather running, with an insulating brushed fabric layer on the inside. Also, if you live somewhere windy, you might want to buy a windbreaking layer to go over your tights as well, it will really make a difference. I run in the winter down to -20degC and do fine with those! Good luck : )
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Under Armour coldgear. Trust me. I'm a workoutgearaholic.
  • ConnectwoNature
    ConnectwoNature Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree, no running in the winter for me, and I even have an indoor trainer for my bike.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Another vote for MEC here. I bought one of the cheaper pairs of running tights and used them all winter last year. They were affordable and stood up well. I am more than pleased with the purchase. I also bought a shell jacket for running and love it.
    The tights are something I now consider a must for winter running along with a wind/water proof shell. The rest of the stuff is just nice to have and I plan to purchase a few more items this year, like a warmer pair of running tights, and maybe a winter running jacket, but I had no problem getting away with the lighter stuff and layers.
    I am in love with Lululemon as well, but haven't really used anything for cold weather running. I will use the long sleeve running shirt (the one woven with silverscent or whatever) as a base layer.

ETA - These tights
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WomensClothing/PantsTights/PRD~5018-865/mec-elan-tights-womens.jsp?bFlashEnabled=false
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just to address the specific Nike question - my friend who turned me on to the MEC tights also buys the Nike ones. I think she is pretty happy with them but they are quite a bit more expensive than the MEC ones.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I got an off-brand pair of running tights at Dunham's last year for about $20 and I love them. I usually just wear them with a running skirt and a long sleeve shirt. If it's really super-cold (I did a half in Jan and it was frigid) I may wear something heavier, but I usually end up sweating too much.
    I find that if my ears get cold, I'm miserable-- regardless of how bundled up the rest of me is. I have a little wool hat that "breathes" but keeps my ears from getting achey.
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use Under Armour cold weather gear - but buy them TIGHT because they still slip off my behind sometimes! :)
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Skins are pricey but awesome when u find some on special. Can put whatever you like over the top and take off a layer once warm enough and tie it around your waist maybe? Prob better for home the 2 layer thing! dont want to be carrying anything.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to wear for winter running?

I am being forced to trade in my shorts for pants, my pants keep falling off my *kitten*, they arent meant for running. Need help =)
    Thank you

I was looking at Nike Pro Combat Hyperwarm tights, anyone have these?

generally, nike's cold weather gear is pretty good. you ought to be able to find some great stuff at TJmaxx or Ross/Marshalls. definitely go with tights, wool socks, and layers, think polyester baby.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just wear sweats. Like Rocky.