Exercise / eating while sick?

Options
KyleB65
KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
I have picked up a cold from my wife & daughter. I know that with some rest and plenty of fluids it will be gone in a day or two. However, I have a workout routine that I do not want to break?

Any thoughts or opinions out there on working out while sick?

Also, with past colds, my eating habits go to my comfort foods. French Canadian Pea soup, crusty bread & hot chocolate. I will probably do OK with my calories but the pea soup alone will murder my sodium for the day.

Any one with interesting suggestions for foods to eat while battling a cold?

Replies

• HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If your cold is causing you to be sick you probably need to see a doctor. Vomiting will make you lose weight anyway but I mean this sounds like more than just a cold.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Eat the soup, drink more water.

If you don't feel TOO bad, go for the workout, just keep it light.

My suggestions only, of course.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have recently been sick and I diodnt worry about logging. I also did not exercise. I figure the body needs rest to repair and recouperate and being out of routine for a week or so is not much in the long run
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Rest and get better. If you really must workout, please don't go to the gym and spread the virus around.
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd say ask your doctor instead of strangers who don't know you or your health history. We all probably know what we can handle or need but seriously, leave it to someone better qualified. : )
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Know/listen to your body. I generally find that a good cardio workout (followed by a good night's sleep of course) does wonders for my head cold. Anything more than a head cold and I typically try to rest.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I have been doing INSANITY for a while and when I had a bit of a head cold, I worked through it. The sort of sweat it out, hydrate, eat, then good rest approach. It worked well for me.... I think. Never really compared the recovery time with methods I used in the past, but I never felt like the head cold got very bad and it was gone within a few days. ANOTHER NOTE TO MENTION: My job is a desk job, so after workout and rest, I'm sitting down at a computer all day. Gives me time to rest muscles, blow my nose, and use vicks as needed. Hope this helps.
    Know/listen to your body. I generally find that a good cardio workout (followed by a good night's sleep of course) does wonders for my head cold. Anything more than a head cold and I typically try to rest.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've worked out when I had a cold, but stay away from the gym if you have the flu - no need to spread the joy to your other exercisers. Getting to be that season where people need to be considerate of the other non-sick people in their lives and it may help you just to rest and give your body a chance to recover.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercising while sick is a bad idea. Eating healthy while sick is a very good idea, no matter how much you might want the comfort foods. You'll get well faster by resting your body and feeding it well.
  • ShmiSkywalker
    ShmiSkywalker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have typically go ahead and work out if the cold is above the neck, i.e. head cold, but if it's in the lungs, I give myself some time to recover.