road or threadmill

Options
hello all..

so im a new runner, i run about 5 times a week for min 5k... (with some intervals, though not much anymore) but i do it all on the threadmill...

i understand theres a difference with the road. i used to run on the road but it gave me pains in the hips that would last a couple days, that pain really isnt there on the threadmill.. the problem is that i would like to train and run a 10k. i want that achievement feeling.. and it looks awsome to run with a big group of people... and all that good stuff..

so the question... can i train on the threadmill for a 10k ? will i really struggle on the road afterwards ?

thanks for your opinions !!

Replies

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hello all..

so im a new runner, i run about 5 times a week for min 5k... (with some intervals, though not much anymore) but i do it all on the threadmill...

i understand theres a difference with the road. i used to run on the road but it gave me pains in the hips that would last a couple days, that pain really isnt there on the threadmill.. the problem is that i would like to train and run a 10k. i want that achievement feeling.. and it looks awsome to run with a big group of people... and all that good stuff..

so the question... can i train on the threadmill for a 10k ? will i really struggle on the road afterwards ?

thanks for your opinions !!
  • zak2978
    zak2978 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am rather new to running, so I'm not sure if I am qualified to answer. But, I have found that running on the roads is much harder than running on the treadmill. I was able to run 5k on a treadmill and really struggled to accomplish the same on the roads.

You may find the same results in running a 10k.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    You can train for a 10k on the treadmil. You might find it really hard to come from the treadmill to the road on race day. I would recommend slowly increasing the amount of time you run outside. Give you muscles and joints time to get stronger. I spent 6 months on the treadmill (live in ND, frozen tundra) and I had to slowly add outside runs. If you have a 3 mile run, try doing 1 mile outside, then keep increasing it. Or what I did was one shorter run outside for a week, then the next week 2 runs outside and so on. Good luck.

And another important thing you need to learn from the road is how to pace yourself. On the treadmill you push a button and thats how fast you go. On the road you need to find that pace yourself. You would think that would be simple but it isn't always for me.
  • sparrowlittle
    Options
    Hi,

I'm no expert from what I know the difference is that most treadmills stay flat while running on the road is uneven and at different inclines all the way. some treadmills at the gym have a built in incline function that varies it so you get used to running up and down hill as well as on flat straights. Also to run on the road would require some decent running shoes that are designed to minimalise impact on your knee and hip joints.

if you only have access to a flat treadmill it is still better than nothing and I'm sure that running 10k will make anyone hurt after anyway. My budget solution would be to incorporate some running up and down the stairs but that is only my two pennies worth.
  • kath1804
    kath1804 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi, I have also just recently started running, done a 5k fun run last week and (trying to) prepare for a 10K in May. I don't feel that the treadmill works me the same for stamina etc, and I also find it really boring. If possible, I would think that you should get some road practice in prior to the 5K.

Just a thought, have you had your gait checked, perhaps you could be doing with different running shoes with more support? I got this done recently and I feel a big difference.

Best of luck, K: flowerforyou:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I had when moving from treadmill to road was pacing myself.
    yeah, it's harder to run outside, but not drastically...but pacing myself was a huge problem. I had NO idea how fast I was going and I wore myself out really quickly because i just took off running.

The more I do it though, the more I'm able to keep myself steady.
    I agree, move outside slowly - you'll do fine!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to running ( on the road) I came from a treadmill and it was a big difference - even my 12 year old son who runs on a track a school said - running on the streets was way harder too
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Road, definitely the road-- treadmills are dangerous-- :bigsmile:

funny-strange-people-1.gif

(oh, yes, I did-- )
  • may_marie
    Options
    thanks people !!!

ill definitly start to run outside and ease into it .. i didnt think about that...

i have had my gait check, i have a bit of an inward roll and flat feet.. and i have bought good shoes (better be at that price .lol) and they really are great ...

i was thinking that maybe the hils were my problems for my hips.. since i run with no incline on the threadmill and when i ran outside i was doing quite a bit of hills.. so ill try hill less runs and see how that goes..

i think im ready for the challenge .. espacialy with the nice weather coming .. and i have a dog that would love me to run outside too !!!..lol..

thanks !!!!!!!!!!
    may
  • zaybedowop
    zaybedowop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with treadmill running and it is easier on my hips and knees too but it's more of a training tool for when trying to prepare for a run. the road is the best way to go when preparing for a run. i wish you luck! :)

also...i over-pronate and was told this by a podiatrist. I got my feet molded to make inserts to help me not to roll inward any more. i put the inserts in my running shoes and i rarely have hip and knee pains any more.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I echo the advice about making sure you have good running shoes and/or inserts. Also, when you're trying outdoor running I'd do your best to find a trail or track. They are a much better surface than road or sidewalk. And, frankly, for me it makes the whole thing much more enjoyable than trying to complete with cars & inhale their exhaust.

I'm at the point where I much prefer running outside to a treadmill - the treadmill is just so contained & restrictive for me, with no change in my environment and not being able to change my pace on the fly (have to mess with controls first). But of course it's great when the weather's horrible.

Have fun!
  • Kimono
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with treadmill running and it is easier on my hips and knees too but it's more of a training tool for when trying to prepare for a run. the road is the best way to go when preparing for a run. i wish you luck! :)

also...i over-pronate and was told this by a podiatrist. I got my feet molded to make inserts to help me not to roll inward any more. i put the inserts in my running shoes and i rarely have hip and knee pains any more.

I had the same problem with over-pronation. I waited to long and ended up injured, (2 stress fractures in my hip) so now I have the custom orthodics and that has really helped.
  • jlregan
    jlregan Posts: 9
    Options
    I ran a 1/2 marathon and am training for another now. I like running on a treadmill vs. outdoors too. It's the only time I get to watch tv! I spoke to a running coach who told me that I should do at least 80% of my running outdoors if I want to be prepared for a road race. So, I shoot for that. It is harder on your body though, there's no doubt.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place that Kimono and others are in. I've used the treadmill over the winter. Now it's almost like learning to run all over again. I went out yesterday and kept trying to tell myself to slow down. Pace myself. But every run gets alittle better.

Running outside really does feel like the better workout for me but during the winter it just does not happen. So I love that the treadmill at least keeps me moving.

Marla, when I move my treadmill to the basement I am going to make sure I don't put it up against the wall:laugh: The days I use it now I always think of you and your warning:laugh: and hope if I fall my almost deaf husband will hear me:laugh:
  • Kimono
    Options
    I ran a 1/2 marathon and am training for another now. I like running on a treadmill vs. outdoors too. It's the only time I get to watch tv! I spoke to a running coach who told me that I should do at least 80% of my running outdoors if I want to be prepared for a road race. So, I shoot for that. It is harder on your body though, there's no doubt.

I have a tv on my treadmill and a DVD player hooked up to that. I get netflix and I watched every single Sex and the City, and every Grey's Anatomy, now I am on Desperate Housewives and Smallville. And many movies. And I watch Biggest Loser while I run also. But my TV days are soon over because it is starting to warm up and I have a couple races coming up.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is great for beginners and then increasing your speed, doing intervals etc. It is better on your hips etc until you get your core stronger and of course it does provide a non-stop smooth flat surface and the ability to push yourself without worrying if you will make it home :laugh:

I am new to the road as well and pacing is the HARDEST part, oh and keep your eyes open for dips in the road, sidewalks, etc. I thought my husband was going to totally face plant last week but he gracefully pulled out of it. Needless to say we had to stop because I was finding it hard to laugh as hard as I was and still run :laugh:

I found it best to ease into running outside. I would walk 1/2 mile and run the next and so on until I had my 4-5 miles done, and usually the last mile was just walking because I hadn't paced well.

:drinker:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    It must be nice to watch tv while on the treadmill. I tried it once and started to get motion sickness:ohwell:
  • may_marie
    Options
    alright. so today i tryed the indoor track ...

i ran a little more then 5k and felt ok . my hips didnt hurts (so far) and the run went pretty smooth.. its shut tomorow due to good friday so i think it will give me a good excuse to run outside..

i missed the numbers though ... i like to look at how far ive gone. and how quick and all the other little numbers on the display (thats just silly .. i know .lol)

pacing myself was hard.. but i was looking at my hrm more often.. its strange because i didnt feel like a big work out.. it felt lazy .lol.. i think i didnt run as fast .. i guess its all about learning ...