nsv and a little confused

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
My mom bought me a vest when she was in China in April 2 years ago and in China, if you're not a small framed girl and you're higher than a size 6, you will not fit into the majority of the clothes. I've been fluctuating between a 12-14 so the vest definitely didnt fit. I could get it around me but never have it done up with the buttons because the ends would just not meet. Well I put it on today and they fit!!!! its been 2 years since she's bought it for me and they've never fit until now!!

Now the confusing part is 2 days ago, I logged in at 189.8. This morning, Im up at 190.2. I know that this is fluctuation because it is only 0.4 but it definitely is sad seeing that I've kind of lost the less than 190s. Do you understand? Also, its disheartening to see the numbers on the scale creep up :frown:

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I think you should look more closely at the clothes fitting than at the scale numbers.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where the vest fits into this question? Did you forget to tell us something.
  • stoofers
    Options
    I don't think .4 is anything to worry about. I don't even think 2 pounds a day fluctuation is anything to worry about. The fact that you've worked really hard and can fit into that vest means way more than any scale number could mean. Don't let your NSV get ruined by your scale! That's why they call it a NSV!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I've learned that the time periods where I wouldn't lose any pounds on the scale, and I was sure that I would because I worked so freaking hard that time... that I lost in measurements around my waist or elsewhere! I track all kinds of measurements including wrist, forearm, biceps, chest (which you should measure above the bra and underneath), waist, hips, calves and thighs! I seriously measure these probably about twice a month! Even though I don't really lose much weight at all, I can see I've lost a few inches and thats exactly what your clothes is measuring!!!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You'll have fluctuations over the week, but try not to take them as definite until it's been there for more than a couple days. So if you're 198, weigh tomorrow and you're 190, don't take the 190 too seriously unless it stays there.
  • Kipper66
    Kipper66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate also, so I try to stick with getting weighed around the same time on the same day each week/two weeks. Don't get disheartened it's like everyone else is saying a NSV especially where clothes are concerned are big victories and well worth celebrating. Keep up the good work, your doing great :wink:
  • Alleyct
    Options
    I sometimes fluctuate as much as 3 pounds!! It is really frustrating, but I just don't "worry" about it unless it stays that way for a week. I try to only weigh in the mid-day, when I haven't eaten or drunk anything in a while (and usually when I'm hungry is best for me). I've found that first thing in the morning, I weigh more... not the case for a lot of people. Don't fret 0.4 pounds... I know you're disappointed to hop back into that 10# bracket, but you'll probably be super excited in a day or two when you've lost an extra 0.5 and are solidly in the 80's! Keep going!!!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where the vest fits into this question? Did you forget to tell us something.

I believe it is a two-parter. NSV- vest. Confused- fluctuation. Get it?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Who cares about the .4? The vest fits!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This is not a big deal.

do what I'd do. go for a wee, then weigh yourself again.

seriously, you've done great, it's just a tiny fluctuation, but I understand how disheartening it is to put a milestone behind you and then go back over it again so if you need to see better numbers just have a wee, try again, and then once you see the magic number step away from the scales for a few days!

more importantly, well done on fitting into your skinny clothes. THAT is a big deal!
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Congratulations on getting into your cute little vest. You are NOT a number on the scale. The way your clothes fit is much more important than the number on the scale. Keep up the good work and be patient and kind to yourself. Don't get discouraged.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you are strength training, your muscles are helping to burn off fat. Remember, a pound of muscle takes up a lot less space than a pound of fat. A .4 pound fluctuation is not unusual, but your clothes are fitting because you are losing fat. The muscle takes up less space, so you are leaner. I wouldn't sweat the .4 fluctuation. I fluctuated by 3 pounds late last week! But now they are all gone again, and I think maybe the scale will start to move again. Fluctuations in weight are common, especially for women (water retention, menstrual cycle, too much sodium, etc.). Just enjoy your NSV of fitting into the vest! That's amazing. Try to post a pic of it for us!
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    I don't think .4 is anything to worry about. I don't even think 2 pounds a day fluctuation is anything to worry about. The fact that you've worked really hard and can fit into that vest means way more than any scale number could mean. Don't let your NSV get ruined by your scale! That's why they call it a NSV!

you are SO right!
  • thedivinemissm21
    Options
    It's definitely discouraging. I've often weighed myself and then re-weighed myself about 15 minutes later, not having eaten or done anything to affect the numbers, and it goes up! It's so easy to become obsessed and upset. There are several explanations from PMSing, to retaining water, to whatever.... It's just hard to not become depressed. Try to weigh yourself once a week or to just concentrate on the fact that the vest fits. Easier said than done, I know. But you are not alone :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!