Mind over Matter

Options
What tips can you give me to use mind over matter when I start to feel hungry? I dont like the feeling and I start thinking of yummy things that aren't in my best interest. What do you do to stay focused, ignore the hunger and maybe even trick your mind a bit?

Replies

• krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    stay busy... tell yourself you'll eat after you complete whatever task you've been putting off... not only does it help you forget about the hunger for a little while, but it also gets things done!
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    drink lots of water. If i have a belly full of water, I tend not to want to eat as much.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    chewing gum helps me
  • nmcneill16
    Options
    munch on some veggies or fruit... pickles are great. they have a lot of flavor and not many calories:)
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sometimes exercise can be a great appetite suppressant. I know you're probably thinking, "yeah, right," but it's true. Sometimes when I think I'm getting hungry, I just go for a walk and all the cravings go away for a while. :-)
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    stay busy... tell yourself you'll eat after you complete whatever task you've been putting off... not only does it help you forget about the hunger for a little while, but it also gets things done!

Exactly: Keep your hands busy! When you're feeling that urge to snack (as we all do), avoid activities such as watching television/movies, reading or browsing the internet; instead, play puzzle games (with time limits). Whenever I have some free time at night or during the weekends, I like to play Jewel Quest to keep me occupied and away from the kitchen. All I need is some H2O on the side..
  • Dsilva75
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back. Exercise makes me not so hungry too, but when I am in the office its difficult because my group likes to eat. We always have some kind of num nums in the office, right now its pumpkin pie! Evil Co-Workers!! haha. I am just trying to drink as much water as I can until my lunch meal.
  • Dsilva75
    Options
    munch on some veggies or fruit... pickles are great. they have a lot of flavor and not many calories:)

I agree on the pickles thing. Had one last night as a little snack.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back. Exercise makes me not so hungry too, but when I am in the office its difficult because my group likes to eat. We always have some kind of num nums in the office, right now its pumpkin pie! Evil Co-Workers!! haha. I am just trying to drink as much water as I can until my lunch meal.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to have this problem. Due to the economy, people stopped bringing in treats on a weekly basis. There's only nine of us (seven men; two females); we're all health conscious. However, the spirit of generousity goes hand in hand with the holidays and homemade treats seem to be the least expensive choice. Good thing it's not a constant struggle.

I believe I can restrain myself during the coming holidays, especially when I see the pounds dropping every Friday morning (my weigh-in day). I'm also trying to reverse my prediabetic status (recently diagnosed); this gives me extra incentive to watch the carbs/sugar and engage in daily exercise. I also love the fact that I am now able to wear some of my old clothes!
  • Dsilva75
    Options
    @ Magda, that is so awesome girl! I live in the heart of the country in Northern California, the people here are all extremely generous and definitely know how to cook, and I'm talking Paula Dean Style no skimping! I just have to keep a picture of myself at my current weight around so I can remind myself that those treats aren't going to help me when I am down about my size. Just gotta power through it.
  • JasonWCNewcomb
    Options
    Self-hypnotism. But I don't ignore hunger.