A silly but meaningful NSV

Options
For all of my life, I have been a nail biter, I can hear my grandma yelling at me to stop biting my nail in my earliest memories. To people who bite their nails, it is more than just a gross habit. It is a crutch, it is something that you have control over, it is a stress reliever, it is even comforting when sad.
I recently took a break from MFP. I was not performing well and I wasn't being truthful. So I took a few weeks to talk to myself about what I want and need; to sort things out in my head. As I worked through things, got myself set up with a gym membership, repaired some relationships, I've found my compulsive need to bite my nails disappear. In just two weeks, they are long, pretty and my new favorite thing about myself. This is just showing me that with my issues resolving I can do anything, I can kick a life long habit or biting my nails till the bleed, and I will continue by losing weight.

Replies

• DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    that's not silly, that's awesome!!!
  • skinnyack
    Options
    That's really impressive! Way to take control!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    not silly at all! :flowerforyou: good job!
  • michele0101
    Options
    OMGoodness, that is so not silly!! I am proud for you!!! I love the way you have taken control of your life and your habits. I have taken a break too and was not honest with myself. I am still working on it. I am soooo good at denial, avoidance, and rationalization!! They are my favorite defense mechanisms!!! I still have work to do!!!
  • krakensdaughter
    Options
    Congratulations! That's awesome. It's not silly at all. I don't bite my nails but I compulsively pick at my cuticles and have tried for years to stop (even taken medicine for anxiety to see if that would help) without success. So I'm very happy for you! :)
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i have also been a nail biter too and experienced similar things.
    Get yourself some lovely nail polish or a manicure to celebrate! I gave myself french nails when mine were long as they were something i'd always wanted since i was a little girl but couldn't do since i never had any white bits to paint!

I do occasionally slip up though if i get stressed. If that happens to you, just remember that it is easy to quit again and they'll grow back.
    Nail biting is definitely stress related!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!