inexpensive food idea's for lunch!

Options
I go to nursing school, and i have to bring my lunch everyday. Any ideas on what i can bring that is healthy and i dont have to go out on a limb that will break my bank? im a college student, so im on a tight budget. I normally eat a ham and cheese sandwhich on wheat bread and a fruit and grain bar and a snack pack size of chips. i drink lemon water everyday because i dont like juices or soda. is this a "bad lunch?" what other suggestions does everyone have? :)

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    If you like tuna, a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, carrot sticks and a piece of fruit. Tuna is cheap, and 1/2 a tin would serve for one day. An apple isn't very expensive, and I drink water all the time.

Your lunch isn't bad. I'd swap the white bread for whole grains, the fruit and grain bar for real fruit, and keep the chips. You need a treat, too!
  • BulldogCNM
    Options
    I usually make myself a salad and put meat or different kinds of beans (think chick peas, pinto beans) on it...I'm a Nurse Midwifery student I know the trick to being a nursing student (and a nurse) is being prepared with healthy snacks. Another great one is an apple with some peanut butter a little bit of carbs and a little bit of protein. I drink water..and coffee and that's about it.
  • Twa0979
    Options
    Drop the Cheese, the chips, and the bar, add Fruit and some Veggies and you have an awesome lunch
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Make a huge pot of soup and pack it in a thermos or a microwaveable container! I make all kinds of soups and load them with veggies and beans and chicken/beef. Sometimes I add rice or noodles or barley. It's always satisfying and you can make a huge stockpot of soup for not much money at all!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    my lunches are usually fruit, popcorn, cheese sticks, boiled eggs, almonds, protein bars, canned soups and leftover veggies.
  • AllyDelair
    AllyDelair Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks for the awesome suggestions! the apples sound yummy, but i just became allergic to fresh apples! i do crave them all the time though! thats about my only setback on your suggestions!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Drop the Cheese, the chips, and the bar, add Fruit and some Veggies and you have an awesome lunch

yep!

also, you can cook up some chicken breasts, rice, make a big salad on the weekend. then divide up and put into containers and bring to lunch.

if you get sick of sandwiches...you can also try wraps.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Make a huge pot of soup and pack it in a thermos or a microwaveable container! I make all kinds of soups and load them with veggies and beans and chicken/beef. Sometimes I add rice or noodles or barley. It's always satisfying and you can make a huge stockpot of soup for not much money at all!

Great idea! With the cold weather coming, I might try this!
  • ladyjade68
    Options
    Here's my cheap lunch - make some brown rice (rice cookers are the best - plug in and the rice doesn't burn) I do 2 1/4 cups of water to 1 cup of brown rice and a little dash of olive oil. Then I get some healthy red beans in the can (usually 2 cans). Saute some onion, green pepper and garlic in a little olive oil - add the red beans and rice, season to taste, and voila - Red beans and rice! You can add some crushed red pepper too if you like it hot.
    Good luck!
  • tricia19444
    Options
    I cook up ground meats I buy on sale, and pair them with a vegetable and brown rice. I found ground chicken and ground beef both on sale for $2.49 a pound last week at my Targets grocery section. I can get 3 lunches out of each pound. I usually have a big bag of brown rice which is pretty cheap. And I always choose fresh veggies .... green beans have been really cheap in my area lately.
    They go well in a microwave container.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That menu is not bad but here is a much better choice ,

Turkey sandwich on wheat bread honey mustard or fat free mayo and fat free cheese. One fruit , lays baked chips one bottle of water. Be sure to consume 8 0unces of water everyday and complete one hour on the elliptical or treadmill this has help me lose 27 pounds in two months. You may even want to switch it up and have a lean cuisine or healthy choice entree . Just be sure your working out 4 to five days a week.. Best wishes remember you can do it!!!
  • AllyDelair
    AllyDelair Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    if only you could see me! i grabbed a notebook and wrote down all of your yummy ideas! thank you so much!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    you can make chili easy and cheap too...and will last a few days. or you can freeze it. If you can see my recipe section of my diary...feel free to check mine out. Just made a nice pumpkin chili on the weekend.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    you can make chili easy and cheap too...and will last a few days. or you can freeze it. If you can see my recipe section of my diary...feel free to check mine out. Just made a nice pumpkin chili on the weekend.

I've been eating chili for a couple days now!

I'm a crock pot cook. I like to make food in it, and put it away in little containers to bring to work later in the week for lunch. I make all sorts of soups and stews in it. When I bring my food to work, I just throw an ice pack into an insulated lunch bag, toss in the container of leftovers, and I'm good to go!

I also second the idea of making brown rice in the rice cooker. :happy: Clearly I love small appliances that sit on the counter while I walk away from then. Brown rice seems to go really well with my weight loss.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    there are some apples i like more than others like fuji and honeycrisp. persimmons are awesome. i'm thinking about buying a box. :laugh:

fresh veggies chopped in a sandwich (whole wheat) with chopped chicken breast. ground lean meats might be easier though. whole grain spaghetti, rotini, etc... are awesome, too.

i've given up on rice because for some reason, they make me more hungry and not ever satisfied.