Epic fail today...

Options
2»

Replies

• semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Running is not easy. At all. I joined the cross country team in high school to try to get myself in shape and I remember being so frustrated, I could not keep up with the team at all. My coach pulled me aside and told me I wasn't doing anything wrong at all. You need to build up endurance and especially if you aren't in fabulous shape to begin with it will take a lot of determination. C25k is a great way to build endurance, just modify it until the plan works for you. If you can't keep up with the running intervals right away, so what?! Take a longer walk break. But next time you get at it, push a little harder! I believe in you! :drinker:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail. I started out running for 30 seconds and then walking for a minute to recover the previous 30 secs......i can now run 10km non stop. everyday you are getting stronger. remember....pain is weakness leaving the body.....DONT GIVE UP!

100% agree! Don't give up. I can only do 20 seconds running at a time (with 40 second walk). Take your time to build up and then do the formal C25K
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it. Really, truly you can. My suggestion: Don't do it on a treadmill! Because then you are likely bumping up your speed on the jogging parts to too high and that makes it unsustainable. Go outside, or do it on a track. That way your body will move naturally. And jogging is jogging! No matter what speed. So if you need to jog at a pace that feels like you could be walking faster, no big deal. Its more important to get your body into the motion and breathing than about the speed. Treadmills are artificial for speed, and it pits your mind against your body. Get off that treadmill, congratulate your self on your first day, and do it again tomorrow. If it takes you a week to be able to do the first day, then so be it. Keep working until you can do the first day, then move onto the next. Oh, and screw the boyfriend....

That's good advice and certainly worth a try, however the OP should know that while the treadmill does have it's faults, running outside can be a lot harder. The ground is way harder than a treadmill so the impact is greater on joints (the stupid schools around me lock their tracks, I would definitely try running outside again if I could get off the road and onto a cushy track) and you cannot really see it but there are always inclines and declines, even the slightest incline makes a run a lot more strenuous. Also factor in wind resistance. I can run on a treadmill and feel pretty decent, but I can't barely run for a minute straight outside without wanting to die. The pavement tears up my shins, my lungs ache and I have a gross raspy cough for the rest of the day and I am just exhausted beyond belief.

But like I said, some people love it and despise the treadmill.....I just didn't want the OP to try running outdoors and feel like a failure if she doesn't feel well vs. the treadmill.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Running is mostly mental. Start off by doing slow jogging then walk when you need too. Next time adding another to your slow jog without walking. Slowly increase it when feel that you ready. That is how I got up to my first mile without stopping. Once you start stringing them together, it will become easier. Don't be discouraged.

Feel free to add me as a friend and will try to keep you motivated. I have just started again after gaining back 30lbs. You can do it and don't let anyone tell you you can't.
  • RyaneC
    RyaneC Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm the kind of person that needs the motivation of leaving my house to work out. If I stay home, I put it off and keep putting it off until it never gets done. And the very few times in the past I've tried running outside, I ended up with shin splints that kept me down for days. So I thought maybe the going to the gym and using the treadmill might be a valid alternative to start, and maybe after building up to it I could try outside. Not to mention the indoor helps with the temperature and weather extremes (not that SC is too bad... but I could see myself using it as another excuse to put it off). Thanks guys, yall do have me feeling a little better about the situation.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    Options
    Very true, and something I did not consider. Running outside can be harder, slower, and definitely tough on the joints. I like running outside because it forces my body to work naturally. I can't press a button to run faster or slower. My body needs to tell me to do that outside. But for people with knee, shin, foot issues certainly a treadmill or track is more forgiving.