After workout breakfast food!

Options
prettyinpink117
prettyinpink117 Posts: 30 Member
I am now over 80 lbs into my weight loss journey and have added some pretty intense morning workouts every week day at 6 am. I work out until 7:30, hit the showers, and then head off to work.

My problem is that after my workout I'm super hungry and all my brain can think about to eat is protein bars, but I've found them to be too high in sugar :[

Any suggestions of what I can take to make at work, all we have is a microwave, to eat after my exercises? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    green smoothies with protein powder in them. They are the best! (heaps of recipes online too)
  • slbeutler
    Options
    I make a thing of oatmeal on sunday and bring it to work and heat up small portions for breakfast along with either 2 hard boiled eggs or we have one of those things that you can cook eggs in the microwave with.

I also like cottage cheese with a little sugar free jello mixed in as well.
  • Ange_
    Options
    you'd have to make it before your workout and put it in a thermos to take to work.

otherwise i guess you could just make an omlet or scrambled eggs in your microwave. Green smoothies would be so much better though :)
  • prettyinpink117
    Options
    Any recommendations on the protein powder? There are so many different ones!!
  • mahosmama
    Options
    I bought a book on my Kindle called "The 17 Day Diet" and it is all healthy foods with limited good carbs. Dr. Mike (the author) has a "Dr. Mike's Power Cookie" that I absolutely love. But here it is:
    1/3 C Unsweetened Applesauce
    2 T Almond Paste
    1 T Olive Oil
    10 packets Truvia
    1/4 C Agave Nectar
    1 L egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    3/4 C whole wheat flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
  • mahosmama
    Options
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/2 C vanilla whey powder
    2 C oats
    1 C dried cherries
    1/2 C sliced Almonds

Mix all together. Drop on a parchment covered cookie sheet. 350* oven for 16-18 minutes. 12 cookies 258 calories
  • mahosmama
    Options
    I made the cookies and after they cooled i put them into individual plastic bags and put them in the freezer. When I want a cookie I just take one from the frig and either let it warm by itself or pop it in the micro for 30 seconds. I love them. I for got 1/2 tsp salt. ENJOY!!!
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe.....actually i love this entire site. but you could make a batch of these on sunday and they would be good for the rest of the week
    Low Fat Chewy Granola Bars with Pecans Raisins and Chocolate
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/06/low-fat-chewy-granola-bars-with-pecans.html
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have become addicted to protein pancakes
    found the recipe on a bodybuilding website and eat them every morning

Mix
    one scoop vanilla whey protein powder dry (I use EAS vanilla)
    1/3 old fashioned oats (uncooked)
    Splenda or truvia powder to taste
    And I add some cinnamon

In another bowl mix
    3 egg whites
    2 tbsp fat free cottage cheese
    1 tsp vanilla

Mix all together and cook like a pancake. I throw in some blueberries too.
    Top with promise no fat butter spread and walden farms no cal syrup
    Its under 300 calories and packed with protein. Yummy!!
  • Ange_
    Options
    Just make sure it is a whey isolate (unless you are allergic to milk or a vegan). Avoid protein concentrates and avoid soy concentrates or isolates. Too much soy bad unless it is fermented as it mimics oestrogen. Concentrates have other things in them rather than just protein.

I use a brand now called 'Professional Whey' it is a US protein but they repackage it up and sell it to Australians on the web. So i'm guessing you'll have to find another brand.

I also prefer natural flavour (as in no flavour). It is way more flexible as you can add whatever flavours you want and there is no real or artificial sugars added.
    But lots of people like vanilla as well.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts in the morning too, I usually take a container with oatmeal and a little bit of peanut butter then when i get to the office i mix in the water and heat it up then sometime mix in a banana. it is super easy and i love oatmeal, i could eat it every day.
  • prettyinpink117
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the amazing suggestions! I definitely won't be bored with work-breakfasts!