Burning calories in the cold

Options
My job takes place out of doors for 10 hours per day. Its about 3 celcius and I'm hungry all day. Question is, does the body burn more calories to keep warm, or conserve them?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It burns more calories to keep warm.
  • kellybstampin
    Options
    I've even read that you should drink ice water because it causes the body to burn more calories warming it up in the body! Now I always throw ice in my workout water bottle before I start!
  • Lostpounds2
    Options
    I had read that you will burn more calories in winter trying to stay warm. Most people do less outside in the cold but in your case you have to be outside, brrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Look up "brown fat tissue"
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Ice water trick is neglegible
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    im always the aicon and have abottle of ice water by my side
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    My job takes place out of doors for 10 hours per day. Its about 3 celcius and I'm hungry all day. Question is, does the body burn more calories to keep warm, or conserve them?
    This would totally depend on your insulation. If your clothing insulates you from the cold, then keeping warm isn't an issue. If your body parts (chest, head, arms and legs) are exposed, then yes you would burn more calories to keep warm.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    from what i've read/learned, a body will burn more calories trying to warm itself. so the question is, do you consider yourself really cold while working? are you dressed for the colder temperature or not? if not, then that might be a reason why you feel more hungry. if so, it must not be comfortable to be cold all/most of a 10 hour shift!