Suggestions Needed

Options
I am having a hard time when I make homemade meals determining or figuring out the calories. They seem so high ( I measure but do not have a scale). Also I am starting the couch to 5k and would like to know if it would be best for me to waite untill after to eat breakfest? Any suggestions Are Greatly Appreciated!!!

Replies

• nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time when I make homemade meals determining or figuring out the calories. They seem so high ( I measure but do not have a scale). Also I am starting the couch to 5k and would like to know if it would be best for me to waite untill after to eat breakfest? Any suggestions Are Greatly Appreciated!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time with this as well and because of it have made "individual portions" for myself. I made meatloaf for my family - but made my own individual meatloaf so that I could measure everything I put in it. I'm not yet comfortable estimating what I'm eating.

On the scale issue - totally worth every penny you'll spend on one - and they're not too expensive. I learned that I was counting 1 oz of lunch meat as 2... I wasn't getting as much food as I could have been!

As for whether you should eat before or after exercise.... I don't know. Sorry. I've found that for me - I need to eat something before I exercise otherwise I don't feel well after... I LIKE to exercise because after I get done I feel like I can move a mountain - when I don't eat breakfast before - all I want to do is go back to bed. That may just be me though!
  • ggooding12
    Options
    And I am the total opposite. If I eat before working out, everybody at the gym will eventually see what I ate for breakfast. Not much of a crowd pleaser is that.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies!!!!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    There's a great website to use for entering your ingredients for your home made recipes and getting complete nutrition information. I don't remember who posted it for me, but I use it all the time.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp