Tingling in toes while on elliptical???

Options
Around 45 minutes into my workout on the elliptical my toes start to tingle on my left foot. And starts to get a burning feeling. It was only the two outer toes. Well today I switched shoes and this time my big toe did it, but, not as bad. Does this mean I have something wrong with my stride/form? I don't jog/run outside. But, I'm working towards being able to have a jogging/running pace on the ellip. But, I can't do that with this pain...it really hurts. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    sounds like it its alignment related. But I am not a doctor, you should probably go see one :)
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but have you ever tried wiggling your toes every once in a while? Think about how much movement your toes are getting while you're on the elliptical especially for 45 min...they're kind of falling asleep. I used to take cycling classes that lasted for an hour and our instructor would tell us to wiggle our toes every once in awhile throughout the workout so our toes wouldn't "fall asleep". It's kind of the same motion. Try it and see if it helps!
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. I now use the treadmill instead. I have poor circulation- cold feet all of the time, so its no surprise to me that I can't use a machine where I keep my feet frozen in place. What I would have to do is use the elliptical for just 15 min, then 15 minutes on another machine, and then back to the elliptical... it's a pain, but I feel bad for my poor feet otherwise.
  • jenny4teach
    jenny4teach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This happens to me almost every time I work out. I think its just the nature of the machine. I know I tend to get up on my toes when I get really into the work out. Switching shoes or wearing different socks might help...I just kind of ignore it b/c it doesnt "hurt" just feels odd. If its really hurting that badly I would talk to someone at the gym or a doctor.
  • iduno2much
    Options
    I have the same problem around the same time on the elip. Around the 30 minute mark ride on your heel and start wiggeling your toes. It will go away. I think it has something to do with the way the knee handles the stride. When I bend my knees and don't bounce as much it doesn't happen but also makes the stride much harder getting a better workout. Works the glutes better.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... what I do is go backwards for 5-7 minutes and 99% of the time the tingling goes away and I start going forward again. Sometimes I have to do that 2 or 3 times during my workout, but in my opinion it's better than having to stop and get off.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I had that happen too. I had to remember to move my feet back on the steps because I was cramming my feet forward.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    have you tried putting those pads in your shoes.. right around the ball of your foot? It is a pretty inexpensive thing to try.. and may help.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I Just try to wiggle my toes around and ignore it best I can. Happens every time.
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    Happens to me too. In addition to wiggling your toes, try loosening your laces before you get on the elliptical -- I found that while I loved the feeling of tight shoelaces, that they were cutting the circulation off to my feet.
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I will try wiggling my toes :)

It seems to get worse when I really get a fast pace going. I use my ellip at home, it's the only workout equip I have. So there is no switching it up.

Thanks for all the quick responses :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. In addition to wiggling your toes, try loosening your laces before you get on the elliptical -- I found that while I loved the feeling of tight shoelaces, that they were cutting the circulation off to my feet.

That's interesting. I will try that also as I , too, like my shoes to be tight w/ no sliding around.
  • MrsFusion
    Options
    I have the same problem... what I do is go backwards for 5-7 minutes and 99% of the time the tingling goes away and I start going forward again. Sometimes I have to do that 2 or 3 times during my workout, but in my opinion it's better than having to stop and get off.

I will have to try this! Thanks :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Just pick my feet up off the machine a bit on the upstroke. kind of like I'm actually jogging, and I mimick a heel strike and roll to the toes on the down stroke. It helps with the numbness/tingling/pain/weirdellipticalfoot feeling
  • MrsFusion
    Options
    have you tried putting those pads in your shoes.. right around the ball of your foot? It is a pretty inexpensive thing to try.. and may help.

I want to check into this, just haven't done it yet.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's normal ..even when I run outside my toes hurt after about 5 miles. I know other runners who also have this problem. But if you are that worried about it ask your doctor about it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Same problem but in my right foot. Not a big deal, goes away shortly after my workout.