Need some motivation

So last summer, I suddenly and drastically changed my lifestyle - started eating for my blood type (super healthy foods), working out three or four days a week, and generally staying active. Since then I've lost fifty pounds. My motto was "if I don't push myself, I'll never see results".

But I've also lost a ton of motivation, and I'm looking for tips or advice on staying motivated and staying active. I'm fairly new to this area and don't have a lot of friends (I have one workout buddy and she works weird hours, so she's rarely available) to keep me motivated. I still (loosely) track my calories but have started going over most days, and it's not the healthiest food. I haven't been to Zumba in forever, and I'd really love to get back into the swing of things.

I struggle with pretty severe depression, especially in the fall and winter, so it's really hard to not isolate myself and sit on my couch all evening after work.

What can I do to start pushing myself again and stop making excuses for not being active? I've thought about setting an alarm on my phone that will tell me it's time to go work out, but obviously nothing is fool-proof if I don't have enough self-discipline. Has anybody found something that works for them, other than "just go out and do it"?

Replies

• I personally can't pin point anything motivational. It just comes from within. If you want it bad enough you'll do anything to get it.
  • congratulations on the first part of your journey. Motivation comes from a number of things, and I have been in your position also. It is easy to put aside the weight loss and continue to fall back into the same slump that you were in before. I say make some new friends on here, keep logging in everyday and dont forget where you came from. Feel free to as me as a friend on here, I will motivate you as much as possible. You can do this, I know you can!!
  • Kmdforsythe
    Kmdforsythe Posts: 30 Member
    Once you start getting active again, the motivation will come. I seem to have a slight case of seasonal depression, so I turn on as many lights as possible when I get home. If it is bright in the house, you can't tell what season it is! Good luck! Push yourself! You did it before, and you can do it again!
  • demetria423
    demetria423 Posts: 25 Member
    I know exactly how you feel- I was on a roll with my weight loss and working out then I just stopped and lost all my motivation and then gained back all the weight I lost and more. I just started back yesterday and it is hard finding that motivation. I think the message boards definitely help. The last time I did lose weight though I got a personal trainer and that really helped me stay on track and motivate me but of course got to be very expensive. I am the same way with wanted to come home from work and just lay on the couch but something you could try is to bring your gym clothes to work so when you get off you can just go straight to the gym. I notice when I do that I am able to go to the gym more often versus when I try to come home then go to the gym because once I sit on the couch I am done for the day lol. Good Luck!:smile: