Inline skates? (rollerblades)

Options
I have a few questions for anyone who inline skates.

Which are the most comfortable types of inline skates? Any suggestions on a model? (I wear a 7 in US women's)

Are the k2 and Rollerblade brands worth the 200$ price tag?

And, do you get a decent cardio workout from skating? I have shin splints and am trying to minimize this by skating instead of running.

Any info much appreciated! I want to tell Santa which skates are on my wish list :)

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you need to go to a sports store and try some on and ride around in them. i'd avoid the super expensive ones until you get used to them and also see if you like rollerblading.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I am still using the Rollerblade's I bought in 1992. They are the Rollerblade brand. Totally worth the money for me. Granted there were some years in between that I didn't use them........but if I were to buy a new pair I'd get the same brand.
  • case87
    case87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but I roller skate all the time! I wear a HRM and usually burn about 1300-1600 calories in 3 hours. Of course, this is during a roller derby practice.

That being said, there is a girl on our roller derby team who has had issues with shin splints. They are just as bad when roller skating. I'm not sure if that would be the same as on roller blades or not. Perhaps she just has really bad shin splints??

Either way, I'd try to borrow some skates or something before spending that much money and finding out it's no better than running. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am still using the Rollerblade's I bought in 1992. They are the Rollerblade brand. Totally worth the money for me. Granted there were some years in between that I didn't use them........but if I were to buy a new pair I'd get the same brand.

I hear that rollerblade and k2 are durable and comfortable. Also, I don't think I can cheap out on them because the wheel size and stuff is what gives it the smooth ride. Hmmm

Decisions decisions!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but I roller skate all the time! I wear a HRM and usually burn about 1300-1600 calories in 3 hours. Of course, this is during a roller derby practice.

That being said, there is a girl on our roller derby team who has had issues with shin splints. They are just as bad when roller skating. I'm not sure if that would be the same as on roller blades or not. Perhaps she just has really bad shin splints??

Either way, I'd try to borrow some skates or something before spending that much money and finding out it's no better than running. :)

Yeah that's true. :( mine aren't too bad but after running a mile or so they hurt super bad. Also, running is the Bane of my existence! What heart rate monitor do you use? I'm thinking between the polar ft7 and ft60. :)
  • case87
    case87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7