How much water is TOO much?

Options
Because I've had about 112 ounces already. I've heard that people can actually overdose & die from drinking too much water... I dunno how true that actually is, but I thought I'd ask.

How much is too much? Or is there such a thing?

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    In EXTREME cases, if you drink gallons of water WITHOUT replacing important vitamins and minerals, you can suffer severe consequences. This rarely only happens, and when it does, it is often during long sporting events such as marathons, where the athlete depletes their electrolytes and only drinks water... diluting their muscles (Hyponatremia).
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    9 gallons within 24 hours is what you would have to drink to intake too much water.
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i read that as long as your not forcing yourself to drink more then you feel you need and your not holding your pee then your fine
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It is possible for drinking enough water to make yourself sick, I personally have done it. I cannot drink more than 10 glasses of water a day, unless I am at a restaurant. I would be careful though if I was you. Do not drink to much water because there is the chance you make yourself sick enough to do some harm. I know that in my old household we would go through at least 48 bottles of water every three days or so. Again, just be careful.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My sister is an ER nurse, and they had a baby brought in one night having seizures and on the verge of death. Turns out that the parents were poor, and they had been replacing every other bottle with water instead of formula. The baby's sodium level had gotten too low.

Keep in mind, you get a lot of fluid from the foods you eat. Fruits and veggies, especially, can have a lot of water in them. The rule of thumb is eight 8 oz. glasses (64 oz., or half a gallon). Even medical experts can't agree, though, on whether that is the right amount. They think that some people might need more and others less. I know this is gross and maybe a little bit TMI, but if you urine is pale yellow or clear, you're fine. If it's darker yellow, you need to drink more.

My sister suggested to someone else that asked this question that they make some of their fluid a Powerade Zero. It replaces electrolytes and such, but it's calorie free and sugar free.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    You'd have to not pee. You'd have to drink pounds of water (it gets measured in pounds gained in psych hospitals) you'd be drunk and slurring your words. Your head would hurt (from the pressure of all the water and they hyponatremia). You would be avoiding sweating, just to pound more water into the system. You'd likely be a mean drunk on water, particularly if you had an underlying psychotic disorder, which is usually who would do this sort of thing. There would CLEARLY be warning signs before you died.

150% of the minimum is a long way away. Particularly considering your'e supposed to drink 8-12 glasses PLUS a pint for every pound you sweat away while exercising. Drink up if you need to, but don't worry you'll accidentally kill yourself with too much water. You'd really have to do it on purpose or be certifiably crazy.

I think I know people who regularly drink 112 ounces of beer on a weekend evening. Not that that's a good idea.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    ooo
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You're not at risk of water toxicity unless you drink huge volumes of water in a short amount of time, assuming you're not doing things like running a marathon like someone else mentioned. We're talking like a gallon in a hour. I drink a gallon a day, sometimes 1.5. You're fine.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I drink about two gallons a day and have stayed at that amount for years - never had a problem. I echo the other posters... if you drink four gallons in ten minutes, you might be in trouble but even a large amount throughout the day is fine so long as you aren't "forcing" it, as someone else said. I've heard drinking your body weight in ounces is a good measurement, but it all differs by the individual, like most other things.
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 8 cups of water a day. 8 x 8 is 64 ounces for the day. If you are thirsty or sweating alot you might need more but with other liquids during the day there shouldn't be a need for more water. In a rather recent Dr. written column in the newspaper the subject of the need for large amounts of water was the subject of his column because of questions he had received from readers and his advice was to drink what you need and when thirsty but there is no need to force yourself to drink more water. Cases of water intoxication have happened, how many or how much water was involved is something I wouldn't know. fg
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    The only one I heard of that was dangerous was consuming large quantities in a VERY short period of time. It was for a radio contest and they thought water would be safe, so this gal slammed down a bunch of water. She died from it, but she wasn't JUST drinking too much - she drank too much too fast. So, I think all you'll get if you drink too much during the day is the urge to run to the bathroom all the time. :laugh:
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    64 ounces is minimum, more if an active athlete, trying to lose weight, larger than the average person. You're fine. Keep drinking and make sure their is a bathroom nearby :)
  • Hollirot
    Hollirot Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the responses. :flowerforyou: