Eating right for the whole family...

Options
I have decided that I am cooking horrible for my kids, 2 1/2 and 1. Hot dogs, nuggets, and mac n cheese...I make a vegetable with everything, but is that enough? I do baked chicken, sweet potatoes..there just doesn't seem to be a lot out there thats fast for children. Any advice or meal ideas for the whole family that is kid friendly?

Replies

• Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com. There are some great recipes there. I have made the Healthy Chicken Nuggets & the Chicken Cordon Bleu & they were both REALLY good. My husband & 16yo son both liked them as well, which is a huge feat.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Kids are just like adults in that they will eat what they are used to. I've been slowly improving the overall quality of my meals and my kids, about the same age, really haven't complained. Unfortunately a good rule of thumb is the more you have to do the better it is for you to eat. I make chicken fajitas for my family. I slice up a chicken and brown it in a little olive oil then add MacCormic's fajitas spices. I also brown an onion and yellow pepper for my hubby and me. Then we combine at the table with store bought tortillas and cheese. The kids usually eat the chicken, cheese, and a veggie I make for them. Good luck with this worthy endeavor. Remember they will get use to it over time and at that age can skip a meal if they absolutely hate it.
  • tamaraherself
    Options
    I think it's just a matter of finding what they like. Exposing them to lots of different things is the key. My son was easy, he has the palate of a food critic - he'll literally eat nearly anything, including ethnic foods, etc. He loves it all. My daughter, raised the same way in the same house? She's a real challenge sometimes. She loves "kid food" and would rather not eat real food.

Try baking chicken breasts, and slicing it widthwise into medallions like nuggets. Offer some dips - a little fat from ranch or sugar from bbq isn't a huge deal. Offer a variety of veggies, both cooked and uncooked. Try things like wild rice and alternative things like cous oous or quinoa instead of potatoes or mac n cheese. Offer fresh fruit for dessert instead of cookies or candy or whatnot - or make fruit smoothies - fruit, some skim milk, and a banana blended with ice.

I find anytime I offer "dips" it goes over very well. Make the main dinner dips - beans, yogurt, salsa, babaganoush, hummus and serve it all with cut up veggies for dipping.

It actually gets easier once you start experimenting :) My picky eater is a lover of wild rice, brussel sprouts, raw cauliflower, etc.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com. There are some great recipes there. I have made the Healthy Chicken Nuggets & the Chicken Cordon Bleu & they were both REALLY good. My husband & 16yo son both ed them as well, which is a huge feat.

I cook something from this website almost every night. I love it!! As far as feeding the kids whatever i eat they eat. They narely like mac and cheese and chicken nuggets they are used to eating real food. None of that other stuff is healthy. They lovvvve pizza and thay they only get maaaaybe once a week.