Water

Options
I need suggestions for getting water down. I gag on plain water. I do not like the "fake sugar" or zero calorie water. Is it important to get water down? What are some suggestions to spice it up and also how many oz of water should I drink in a day? I like the life water however there is 100 calories per bottle

Replies

• bottlecaps
    Options
    What if you add lemon to the water to give it some flavor?
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The 0 cal lifewater is good. What about ice tea? And a lot of the store brand water-shakers are mucho delish!!! Give em a go!!! My fav: Target brand (called Market Pantry) strawberry-lemonade, or the Save Mart brand in Wild Strawberry. I like the raspberry lemonade in the Crystal Light.

Yes water is SOOOOOO important!! Drink at least 8-8 ounce glasses a day, or as I do it, 2-32 ounce water bottles, at a minimum!
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You can always add a few tablespoons of juice to your water to take the edge off. :)
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    yes it is important to drink enough water. 7 glasses of water is enough. maybe you could drink water when you eat? like bite on something, chew and then have some water.. i dont believe in all those colored-fake sugary add ins. pure water is what your body needs.
  • normusnonaliam
    normusnonaliam Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Oh, man. That's tough. What about if it's really really cold? Bottled? With lemon? Crystal light?

Or maybe it's just an acquired taste for you. I would really work on it, though. Water is important!

Good luck in figuring this out :)
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I need suggestions for getting water down. I gag on plain water. I do not like the "fake sugar" or zero calorie water. Is it important to get water down? What are some suggestions to spice it up and also how many oz of water should I drink in a day? I like the life water however there is 100 calories per bottle

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions about HOW to make yourself drink water but here's an article I found very interesting. Someone else here on MFP posted it a while back. It explains the WHY water is important.

http://timeforfitness.com/?p=352
  • barbiebarkley
    Options
    you should drink 8 ,8oz. everyday.also i tried that mio .you add yourself to the water,so you control the way it taste..
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    yes it is important to drink enough water. 7 glasses of water is enough. maybe you could drink water when you eat? like bite on something, chew and then have some water.. i dont believe in all those colored-fake sugary add ins. pure water is what your body needs.

your body does need pure water, it really is best. However using the drink shakers or something similar to help a person get in their water is far better than no water at all. The only time I can tolerate plain water is during a workout, so I can relate to the OP. I only use one shaker for my 32 ounce water bottle, so it's watered down a lot, but still tastey!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I never drink plain water.... what you need are FLUIDS. There are several links about this in my sig.

I get all of mine from protein shakes, soy milk, almond milk, milk, diet v8 splash, crystal light naturals, powerade zero, ice tea and coffee.

I don't like plain water --- I know some people do. I don't need to hear that I have to force it down anyway - because that's not true.
    I don't like it with lemon either.
  • lmifflin
    Options
    I put slices of lemon in my water, I've gone from drinking no water to 6-8 glasses a day.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have a large glass that I fill with ice then water...and I put a little sobe yummy pomegranate. It only takes a little to make it taste pretty good. The only problem is people probably think I'm sipping on a wine cooler.....lol
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You need water. Period. However, any liquid drink (excepting hard liquor) will have some effect on hydration levels. If you haven't yet found an additive you like, keep looking. I'm partial to the Ocean Spray flavors that are sized for a 16 oz water bottle. I think they have something like 5 calories per serving, which isn't enough to worry about.

A bit of lemon or lime juice can add a lot of flavor to water too.

Here's an interesting article on hydration and how much you really need:
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/how-much-water-should-i-drink-5-myths-about-hydration-answered-2504372

Your best indicator of hydration is the color of your urine. Clear may mean you're overhydrated. Light yellow is fine, dark yellow means you need to drink something.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I drink a weak mix of low sugar cordial to get my water, started out at full strength and then each week made it a bit weaker. I'm now at around 20% recommended strength and still working on cutting it down further.
    Doing this and having a desk job, I'm averaging about 20 cups a day or more.
  • Karen_145
    Options
    If you're not thirsty you don't need to be drinking anything extra. I drink Crystal Lite when I want something with flavor.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I never drink plain water.... what you need are FLUIDS. There are several links about this in my sig.

I get all of mine from protein shakes, soy milk, almond milk, milk, diet v8 splash, crystal light naturals, powerade zero, ice tea and coffee.

I don't like plain water --- I know some people do. I don't need to hear that I have to force it down anyway - because that's not true.

SOunds like me! I get mine from coffee and tea most of the time. Water makes me terribly cold this time of year xD
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. Try it iced cold. I rarely drink anything other than water and I didn't like it at first.
  • ndaney
    ndaney Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups of warm water first thing in the morning with lemon in it. I also do the same thing at night if I am craving something to eat.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

SOunds like me! I get mine from coffee and tea most of the time. Water makes me terribly cold this time of year xD

I just wish people didn't spend so much time trying to force it down when its not necessary. I love coffee flavor so I drink decaf .. it's almost all water anyway so of course it counts. This argument is silly and drives me nuts :)
  • underuze
    Options
    It was hard on me to drink 64oz of water everyday. After I stopped drinking soda and adding heaps of sugar to my coffee it got a lot easier. I didn't crave the flavors like I used to. Now water is the only drink that refreshes me. I'll have one Coke on the weekends just so I don't feel deprived. I used to be a soda addict but when I stopped drinking them everyday I lost about 10lbs. That made it pretty easy to stay away.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options

your body does need pure water, it really is best. However using the drink shakers or something similar to help a person get in their water is far better than no water at all. The only time I can tolerate plain water is during a workout, so I can relate to the OP. I only use one shaker for my 32 ounce water bottle, so it's watered down a lot, but still tastey!

i guess you are right. I just remembered that when i was younger, i could only drink sparkling water...normal water would make me gag lol but at some point it changed and now i love regular water. =)