Triathletes, runners, cyclists....

Options
I have had some ups and downs on MFP in the past year since I originally joined. I started out VERY committed and VERY successful. Since joining in December 2010, I have run two 5Ks, two 10Ks, three sprint tris and I have a 15K on November 26. However, in recent months, I got away from the discipline that made me successful and became a person I didn't recognize in the mirror. So, as of yesterday, I am treating MFP as if I am starting brand new.

I would like to find other athletes to have for support and who I can support in return. Going into my first offseason, I have a lot of questions about how to handle the winter training and I'd like to have resources to turn to. If you are a newer athlete and I can help you, I'm happy to try as I have learned A LOT in the last year.

Good luck to you all!!

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I have lots of info.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Off season???
  • Islabella34
    Islabella34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new on this site and have a few questions for ya....
  • CeloTX
    CeloTX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Off season???

Yes Karin. Offseason. There are no tris in the winter months and I am a giant wuss when it comes to cold weather anyway.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Off season???

:laugh:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about you southerners discussing off season and winter running ;) but I suppose next August when it's hot as balls here and I miss runs you can laugh at me and point out its more hot or humid or both there than the minor heat here that has me swoon.

Anyway, I'm a new and still slow runner. I've done 2 5ks ever. Will do another on Thanksgiving. I plan another on New Year's. But last year was well below zero on the first of January and I do have my limits. I'm considering a series of races of increasing length for next year, perhaps culminating in a marathon.

I like running outside now, but did work on my treadmill yesterday to keep it going in the winter. I have a goal to run outside at least one day per week through the winter. I'll just pretend I'm cross country skiing. Already did a subfreezing run and managed even without all my gear I could use.
  • CeloTX
    Options
    I know there are more athletes out there, so bump.....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Off-season is creeping up on me now. No more tris, but I can still run and bike outside, so it's not full on off-season yet. I've got some running events coming up to keep the competitive juices flowing, but it's just a matter of time before getting outside becomes the exception rather than the rule.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Wait, you're in TX? How "cold" does your "off season" get???
  • CeloTX
    Options
    Wait, you're in TX? How "cold" does your "off season" get???

Not very, compared to NY. But as I said, I'm a weenie when it comes to cold weather. Anything below 65 and I'm freezing.
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Everyone up north likes to give us Texans a hard time when we say winter and cold. Yes, people, we know it's colder where you are and many more unbearable conditions - that's why we live DOWN SOUTH. It's cold to us when it hits freezing and we celebrate the sight of snow in February because we probably just had GUSTY wind up until that point. Don't hate us; just give us some suggestions on what you do in the 'cooler' months of your world...

Celo - you know I'm always looking for help and suggestions. Ran 3 5ks in October! Now, they're getting harder to find. I had someone suggest a destination race in the spring. Something to work for during the 'off' time. With little ones, this idea is HIGHLY appealing to me! ha ha ha