Raw foods and Green Smoothies.

Options
I have been doing a lot of research and have been coming up with a ton of people that have lost a great deal of weight and no plastic surgery needed. Just by eating raw and drinking one to two green smoothies a day. It feels weird but I have been on a kick of only wanting fruits and veggies, so I think this is my body telling me this is what I need...

Has anyone every done it? How did it feel...Today is my day one of 90 for a raw food cleanse....I drink two to three green smoothies a day and only eat veggies and fruit...

Replies

• Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    what's in these "green smoothies"? I am intrigued.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i am going to try it. my sister really likes them and is telling me to make them all the time.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    well one of my favorites is

2 cups spinach
    1 cup kale
    2 cups blueberries frozen
    1 cup raspberries frozen
    banana
    fresh squeezed pineapple 1 cup
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon chia seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon..

this does 3 500ml smoothies.....
  • stacey_marie_08
    stacey_marie_08 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen and understand, you can lose a lot of weight by just eating raw food and drinking green smoothies. If you have the willpower for it. I have tried doing raw food/juice detoxes and have never lasted longer than 2 days. Now I'm actually trying a green smoothie tomorrow morning for breakfast. I plan on putting...

Spinach
    Blueberries
    Pears
    Celery
    Water

The only "creamy" type thing I have is vanilla soymilk and I'm not so sure it would work well with the above fruits and veggies. I'll let you know how it goes and maybe what I'd change...

Good luck on your detox! :)
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Do the raw greens get sufficiently chopped up so they do not feel like little pieces of cardboard?

I would like to try a kale smoothie tomorrow. Kale is rather tough. I wondered if it should first be softened by cooking.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CAlexRose
    CAlexRose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It takes a powerful blender (eg. Vitamix) to really blend the veggies so they are almost liquefied. You want the veggies to remain raw.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    Do the raw greens get sufficiently chopped up so they do not feel like little pieces of cardboard?

I would like to try a kale smoothie tomorrow. Kale is rather tough. I wondered if it should first be softened by cooking.

no not at all.....the kale, or spinach or lettuce or whatever you are using creams perfectly....no one needs soy milk or anything as a matter of fact I suggest you don't....
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    It takes a powerful blender (eg. Vitamix) to really blend the veggies so they are almost liquefied. You want the veggies to remain raw.

no it doesn't....a bullet will work just fine....I use a kitchen aide...just cut them smaller...
  • FreeDiver87
    Options
    Try cutting the pieces smaller and for savoury meals (such as soups) add an avocado for a creamier texture (it'll bump up your fats as well). For legumes let them sit in water over night to soften them without heat.

I have a friend on a raw, vegan diet and she makes pumpkin pies, soups, quiche type things (lol), etc without cooking anything. It takes some patience and getting used to but once the habits are established the health benefits to it are endless (presupposing you do not have a condition that may prevent you from it).
  • Silentspring
    Options
    I have a green smoothie most mornings for breakfast. The ingredients are:
    1 frozen banana (I peel and break up a bunch of bananas and put them in a container in the freezer about once a week, then they work like ice cubes)
    2 handfuls of baby spinach
    1 cup of water
    a little protein powder or a tablespoon or two of rolled oats (depends on how I feel)
    Plus, the days I am running I put a tablespoon of LSA oil (linseed sunflower almond). I only do this on the running days as it has 100 cal, but it is great for digestion and also hair and nails

If I put some frozen berries in it goes really thick, then I might add another cup of water and sip on it all morning at work.

The spinach is tasteless and because it is all chopped up your body has instant access to all the fibre and nutrients. Yum
  • CharityEaton
    Options

no it doesn't....a bullet will work just fine....I use a kitchen aide...just cut them smaller...

I use a KitchenAid blender and never have a problem with it chopping my spinach up! I don't mind tiny little flecks of it anyway so some days I don't get it mixed all the way but the Kitchenaid blender will totally liquify it if I want it to.
  • _GLENN_
    _GLENN_ Posts: 14
    Options
    I drink a "green monster" every morning almost! I love them.
    In mine, I put a cup of milk or almond milk (depending on whats in the fridge) a banana (frozen or fresh, depends on how thick I want it) a tbsp of peanut butter and as much spinach as I can stuff in the blender.

You can't taste the spinach, and no one steals my breakfast from the work fridge!

Here is a website dedicated to green smoothies: http://greenmonstermovement.com/
    Lots of recipes and ideas!
  • CrunchyGuero
    CrunchyGuero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been comsuming about 95% of my calories from green smoothies since September and feel great. That combined with yoga 4-5 times a week has resulted in significant weight loss and muscle tone. I sleep better, have more consistent energy levels throughout the day, and have been garnering more overt attention from the opposite sex. Also, I'm having a ball with my juicer and blender and all of the experimentation.

My top ingredients for flavor have been:

* apple juice
    * peanut butter

They seem to make just about anything taste better.

Info on ANDI score: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate_Nutrient_Density_Index

My top ingredients for nutrition are:

* Kale, ANDI score 1000
    * Bok Choy, ANDI score 824
    * Spinach, ANDI score 739
    * Romaine Lettuce Hearts, ANDI score 389
    * Carrot Juice, ANDI score 344
    * Cranberries Fresh, ANDI score 236
    * Cantaloupe, ANDI score 100
    * Apples, ANDI score 72
    * Pineapple, ANDI score 64
    * Spirulina, ANDI score 561
    * Walnuts, ANDI score 34 (2.7 gm omega-3 & 11.1 gm omega-6 per 1/4 cup chopped)
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm a big green smoothie convert....I highly recommend reading "Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko if you can get your hands on a copy. There are soooo many benefits from drinking green smoothies - weight loss being my favourite. Increased energy, better sleep, mental clarity, ummmm softer skin....lots of interesting things happen!

Good luck on your raw journey :smile:

K x
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of research and have been coming up with a ton of people that have lost a great deal of weight and no plastic surgery needed. Just by eating raw and drinking one to two green smoothies a day. It feels weird but I have been on a kick of only wanting fruits and veggies, so I think this is my body telling me this is what I need...

Has anyone every done it? How did it feel...Today is my day one of 90 for a raw food cleanse....I drink two to three green smoothies a day and only eat veggies and fruit...

The raw diet works great if you can stick to it, I got really sick and had tons of headaches especially when I started eating normal again. I was told it best to incorporate a little at a time, like replace one or two meals with the raw nutrient dense foods instead of replacing all meals. Best of luck!
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen and understand, you can lose a lot of weight by just eating raw food and drinking green smoothies. If you have the willpower for it. I have tried doing raw food/juice detoxes and have never lasted longer than 2 days. Now I'm actually trying a green smoothie tomorrow morning for breakfast. I plan on putting...

Spinach
    Blueberries
    Pears
    Celery
    Water

The only "creamy" type thing I have is vanilla soymilk and I'm not so sure it would work well with the above fruits and veggies. I'll let you know how it goes and maybe what I'd change...

Good luck on your detox! :)

I use frozen juice instead of milk or silk, gives it more of a watery texture or you can use yogurt as well! My receipe is Mango, peach, pineapple, banana and spinach.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    yeah i am sitting at 2 to 3 smoothies a day and then one meal....usually supper and it is salad and meat or beans and meat...I have been without any bread or starch, or white anything for 2 weeks and I feel great.....I have lost 14 pounds....and have not even been consuming as much water as I should....need more of that....So far I am really happy with it...No headaches....I just realized I have not taken a headache pill in two weeks and my sleeping is better...energy is up....love it..I do a lot of youtubing for info too...
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    I don't use any milk products in the smoothie...if you want creamy a banana is great in it...also if you are doing a tropical one coconut milk is awesome.....I even cut out tim hortons....