HCG

Options
13»

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I find pregnant women's urine to be a most satisfying treat after a long workout.
  • davionbandit
    Options
    I am really new to MFP and don't like to post, but one thing that is strange to me is all the sarcasm (and I am very sarcastic in general). When someone asks a question they don't want to hear rude replies. Feel free to respond with "IMO it can be useful/harmful for *reason* *reason* *reason*." You are not going to change someone's mind by being ugly or rude. Sticking to the facts as you see them is really the best course of action.

As for HCG, I have not tried it although we did almost try it for my husband because he was hoping it would help him lose enough weight to be more mobile, but the expense was too much.

I have heard both good and bad stories from people I know or at least know of, but I have not heard that it is easy. 500 calories a day is tough and not just that but there is also a very strict diet from which to get those 500 cals. If you are going to try it, at least make sure you know what is expected of you and that you have the self-discipline to follow through. And decide if you are willing to accept that if you do spend the money you may end up not benefiting at all. Many people do gain the weight back. How will you feel if you do? Is that a risk that you are willing to take? Many people also are fatigued, moody, lose hair and their general appearance starts to decline. Is that something you are willing to accept? You may be one of the ones that has a great experience, but you might not be. Make sure that you are willing to accept whatever happens before you invest in something like this.

Just my two cents.

Nancy
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    HCG is not for everyone and I personally don't think it should be a last resort. All you need is healthy eating habits, daily exercising, plenty of water and sleep. Everything takes time and there is no rush...slow and steady wins the race!
  • _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you, Nancy! That is precisely the type of response I had hoped for.

Muah!

:-D
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You posted the following in an HCG thread about the HCG diet seven months ago:
    Thanks for posting this. I'm so tired of hearing about quick fixes. It also infuriates me when Doctors promote these fads. I hate to be so negative, but I guess the kickbacks are more important than the health of those who trust these Doctors.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/204295-hcg-diet

In this thread you are asking about others' experience with the HCG diet as if you are going to try it yourself.

Your stance seems a lot different now. What changed?
  • aimeezingone
    aimeezingone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did HCG last year. I did great on the injections. Later, I tried the drops.....did poorly with those.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    HCG injections do nothing for weight loss and homeopathic drops do less than nothing

Stein et al. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 29, 940-948

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

Lijesen et al. The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):237-43.

"There is no scientific evidence that hCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

also see JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963, S Afr Med J. 1990 Feb 17;77(4):185-9, West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977, Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There goes ACG again, bringing science and peer-reviewed journals into the discussion. Pffff.
  • _LDM_
    Options
    I did feel that way then, and quite honestly, to some extent today. As I mentioned earlier, I'm usually the one opposed to quick fixes, or weight loss programs using chemicals, etc. I still feel that Doctors shouldn't promote things that could be unsafe and feel that they do so to benefit themselves.I absolutely recognize that HCG can be unsafe. I have read some literature on it and become a little more informed. But, I still wouldn't recommend it to a friend. I would ask them to read up on it and decide if it's worth it to them.
  • _LDM_
    Options
    Also, having a friend who is a nurse recommend it b/c she was so successful may have had a little to do with it. Blame it on peer pressure!!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Also, having a friend who is a nurse recommend it b/c she was so successful may have had a little to do with it. Blame it on peer pressure!!!
    It's POSSIBLE to get results, but the thing is...you have to leap through fiery hoops and a very rigid plan to do it 'right'. It doesn't teach you anything about how you SHOULD eat later once you go back to eating normal, which is where the high failure rate comes in. To me it seems like unnecessary torture to yourself when you can do it in a much healthier manner and get great results that are lasting.
  • _LDM_
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying about learning how to eat properly. I wish I could say I don't now how to eat properly, but I do....and I still let myself get to a point that I feel like I need to drop weight initially just to feel good enough physically to get back to the gym!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying about learning how to eat properly. I wish I could say I don't now how to eat properly, but I do....and I still let myself get to a point that I feel like I need to drop weight initially just to feel good enough physically to get back to the gym!
    Really the gym isn't necessary though. I have lost the 25lbs that I lost without setting foot in a gym. I do have a treadmill here but I also run outdoors. I use a pull up bar and and do basic dumbbell exercises. It's actually giving me pretty good results, the only other thing I really could use is a bench and a barbell. But just want to show you that the gym is really not a necessity.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about diet, it has nothing to do with going to the gym.

Going to the gym is for getting fit, diet is for losing weight. They are actually mutually exclusive. You can very easily lose weight without working out, and work out without losing weight.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    It's "not even funny"

I disagree. It's "so funny" *facepalm*
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Anyone willing to share their experience with HCG?

Well.. the first time I produced HCG, I had all day heartburn for 40 weeks... and I gained 60 lbs.

This time it is more nausea and exhaustion... and I'm gaining weight more slowly.

:flowerforyou: