Running a 5k in one week and need HELP!

Options
I am signed up to run my first 5k in 1 week. I am on a team with some friends so obviously backing out is not an option, but my recent workouts haven't been so great.

My normal workout is 30 minutes of intervals, which comes to about 3.5 miles. So I originally thought, okay, three miles- no big deal.
But because of the interval training I am used to stopping for a break every few minutes. I am having lots of trouble now trying to run the three miles straight through.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train myself to be able to just keep running, especially with such little time?

Also, from people who have run 5ks before; does anyone have any general tips, or things I should expect?

Thank you!

Replies

• shannon128
    Options
    I am signed up to run my first 5k in 1 week. I am on a team with some friends so obviously backing out is not an option, but my recent workouts haven't been so great.

My normal workout is 30 minutes of intervals, which comes to about 3.5 miles. So I originally thought, okay, three miles- no big deal.
    But because of the interval training I am used to stopping for a break every few minutes. I am having lots of trouble now trying to run the three miles straight through.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train myself to be able to just keep running, especially with such little time?

Also, from people who have run 5ks before; does anyone have any general tips, or things I should expect?

Thank you!
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Why are you finding it hard to run the 5k without a break: is it because you're out of breath or your legs give out? Depending which it is will determine the best advice to give.
  • Living4Me
    Living4Me Posts: 33
    Options
    Why don't you just do it in intervals the way you normally do? 3.5 miles in 30 minutes is like running a <10 minute mile. That is a very good pace.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Running a straight 3 miles is all about building up endurance. I am using the Couch to 5K to build my endurance. But it takes 9 weeks.

Good luck to you.
  • shannon128
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement.

I can't run straight through because I am out of breath. After a minute of walking I can normally start running again. Also lately, I have been having horrible cramps in my stomach while I run- which I assume is the new low calorie diet that my body is adjusting to, and that time of the month approaching.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement.

I can't run straight through because I am out of breath. After a minute of walking I can normally start running again. Also lately, I have been having horrible cramps in my stomach while I run- which I assume is the new low calorie diet that my body is adjusting to, and that time of the month approaching.

Running and walking a 5K is fine!! Just keep doing what you're doing, and you will continue to build up the endurance to keep running! Also, try slowing down your running pace a little... it sounds like you're going out too fast on the running so then you have to walk. Try to jog a little during your walks.

Have fun!!! :bigsmile:
  • shannon128
    Options
    :) okay whew!

Since it is my first one I wasn't sure if it was "okay". I am feeling much better, and more excited about it now.
  • kimlee
    kimlee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k last year. Well, I ran/walk the event. I would run then took at 1 minute walking break. I found that I was able to run faster after my breaks, than if I tried to run all the way thru. Remember this is your first race and your goal should be to finish - and as long as your cross the finish line, it doesn't matter how you got there.

Good luck, let us know how things go!
  • zaybedowop
    zaybedowop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's no rule stating you have to run a 5K straight. Lots of people walk/jog their way through a 5K. Have fun with it and enjoy yourself. Yay! Your first 5K! :)
  • K2T4e2n6
    K2T4e2n6 Posts: 50
    Options
    You can walk or run.

If you are out of breath work on your endurance by doing high intensity/low impact workouts (spin really helped me out-you can also swim). Then next time if you want to run the whole way YOU CAN!!

If you find you breathe easier but your legs hurt do some strength training.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    There's pretty much nothing you can do in a week that'll make any difference.

You're getting great advice here to just do it as you normally do, i.e. run/walk it.

More advice: DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST. On the day you'll get caught up with all the excitement and hype.

DON'T STAND ON THE STARTING LINE. You'll get run over.

Enjoy yourself and don't even THINK/WORRY about your finishing time. You'll only run your First 5K once in your life, so ENJOY!

Well done. :flowerforyou:
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When i Ran my first 5K last year, my goal was to run the whole way, no matter how slowly I went. My friend, who was with me, just wanted to finish. We both reached our goals. Okay, so sometimes I was ridiculously slow and she walked a good part of the way, but it didn't matter, because we finished! Lots of people walk part (or even all) of the way. For us, at least, we were still proud of having accomplished something. If you aren't stressed about how fast you complete the 5K, you'll be okay. (BTW, I didn't do any training before that 5K - or any of the 3 others I have run since. Just my normal everyday workouts. I am not saying I *recommend* that way, but since I am just in love with doing the 5K, no matter how slowly, and not in love with running in general, it's worked for me. And, as I get stronger in general, my times have gotten better...)
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Start at your own pace, don't worry about everyone elses pace, you will fall into your rhythm. If you need to walk, choose to walk up a hill and then run down the other side. I See lots of those who kill themselves going up a hill only to have to stop at the top and walk down, not the best use of energy in a race. Try motivating yourself to go just that much farther. When I feel like stopping, i pick a spot ahead of me and say I will keep running til that mailbox. Then when i get there i may walk or i may keep running, sometimes you just need to get over a hump. Turn it on full force when you see the finish line! Once you finish you will have a new personal record, and something to aim to beat next time!
  • shannon128
    Options
    Great advice from everyone!

I have an update: I ran the whole distance straight through today!!

I took the advice to lower my pace and ran at a 5.5 instead of the usual 6.0. I think it was mainly a mental thing and I was stronger than I thought I was. I was pretty dead by the end of it but I felt GREAT!

And I still have six days until the big day :bigsmile:

Thank you all again for your help! I have been wanting to do one of these for awhile now but was never sure about it. Thankfully a friend convinced me to sign up for this one and I'm so glad and excited now!
    Who knew the girl that was last to finish the mile in school would be running 5ks one day?!
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you! :bigsmile: Isn't it the best feeling ever?
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    How did the race go?
  • nickelplatedangel
    Options
    What is this couch to 5k group I keep hearing about?
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    here are some sites re: couch to 5k

http://www.marathon-training-schedule.com/couch-to-5k.html

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Don't forget to find a race and pre-register so you are committed! Good Luck.