Too many Carbs not enough Protein

Options
Why have I been allocated so many carbs when I should be on a protein diet?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    MFP's default is 55% carbs. You can manually adjust this under settings.

Although . . . why?

Disclaimer: I am not afraid of carbs. I eat them.

blessings.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Because carbs are not the enemy.

Up your protein if you wish, i try for about 100g a day
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    MFP Has no clue what die you're on. Change the settings to fit YOU!

My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom

I have mine at 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat --- but you can do whatever you want.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

They ARE the enemy for a lot of people. Especially anyone with Type II diabetes or PCOS or anything insulin related.

I eat plenty of carbs but only things like quinoa, nuts, beans, veggies. I try to avoid processes flour, bread rice -- because frankly, withing about 20 minutes of eating them I feel like crap and need a nap.
  • gramofseven
    Options
    I wondered that too but I was told by my Doc that you need carbs for fuel and part of weight loss is burning fuel. A high protein diet would be for building muscle but requires lots of strength/ training exercises. The carbs give you energy, just cut out the simple ones and go for the complex types....good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

They ARE the enemy for a lot of people. Especially anyone with Type II diabetes or PCOS or anything insulin related.

I eat plenty of carbs but only things like quinoa, nuts, beans, veggies. I try to avoid processes flour, bread rice -- because frankly, withing about 20 minutes of eating them I feel like crap and need a nap.

Well that is you. Not everyone needs to limit them. I do not place blame on any single macro nutrient
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Why should you be on a protein diet? As others have said, you can manually adjust the settings to whatever suits your needs.
  • NUTZAMO
    Options
    :smile: Thanks everyone. I am going to Curves and they have said I should be on a protein diet...would that because they're exercising is based on "muscle building"?

I agree that some carbs are good; e.g. nuts and fruit - plus I love my fruit.

Perhaps I'll see how I go and adjust if necessary... thanks for your advice and help
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    nuts are high in fat, not carbs.

1g/lb of lean body mass is a good target IMO so adjust your % to whatever you need to get that.

Fat loss as opposed to weight loss requires:
    calorie deficit through diet and exercise
    adequate protein (I aim for 1g/lb o LBM minimum)
    resistance training (progressively increasing weights to challenge yourself)

These are to promote the preservation of lean body mass.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chris!!! ^^^

I don't agree with low carbing....especially if you are diabetic!!! It is great for evening off your sugar levels, but anytime you mess up (which you will, true low carb is hard to maintain!), the sugar spike is actually HORRIBLE for you!!! try to get the 1g per lean muscle mass (figure this out by getting an estimate of your body fat %) and try to eat as "clean" as possible!

good luck!
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't eat according to what's allocated. I eat according to the number of calories and ussually tend to be over on protein and sometimes a little over on fat (I try to eat mostly healthy monounsaturated fats like nuts, salmon, avocado, olive, olive oil etc...) and below the recommended amount of carbs. I try to make my carb intake whole grain and high fiber. I am hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and this seems to keep me full and my sugar more stable. Try it! I like the recipes from flat belly diet books.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    By the way, I do not eat a true high protein/ low carb diet. Mine is moderate and with lower carbs and higher protein than this site recomends. You can look at my food diary. I think you have to find what works for you and makes you feel better.
  • NUTZAMO
    Options
    Thanks Keran...although I have no health issues...your advice is sound