Cardio for weight loss - what's your experience?

Options

Replies

• jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose about 30 more pounds, but I'd be happy to get down to 150 (I'm at 173 now). My MFP settings were originally set to lose 1 pound a week, but I've changed that to 1/2 pound because I need to increase my calories for the extra strength training. I try to eat my exercise calories but I don't always. It's occurred to me that the problem might be that I'm not eating enough calories... but I'm nervous about eating more. Also after months of restricting my calories I just don't feel hungry anymore so I'm not sure how I could increase my calories without resorting to junk food.

Everyone is different, and you'll probably just have to take the risk and see how your body does to know whether this is the case or not. Speaking for myself, I can tell you that when I don't eat my exercise calories back, I tend to gain weight; when I eat them back (and sometimes go over), I tend to lose weight. Could be a coincidence, but I don't really think so.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Weightloss comes from a calorie deficit. Nothing else.
  • Leviram
    Options
    bump to catch up later.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate exercise calories?
    Are you using the MFP values, or a treadmill at the health club, or an HRM?
    You may not be burning as many calories as you are logging.

This is another possibility since it sounds like you are good on the "fuel in".

Another question would be what your NET calorie goal is? 1,200? 2,000?
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well, it certainly seems something is amiss, but I doubt it's what type of exercise you're doing. Although I think it's best for your overall health to do both. Cardio keeps the heart strong and weight training keeps your bones strong... and obviously improves your lean muscle as well. It's all very important for women as they age, since we tend to have more issues with bone and muscle loss than men.

I don't know that anyone here is going to be able to help you with your problem. The usual advice applies, I'd assume. You can try eating more, then less... see if either makes a difference. Mix up your exercise plan; that is, whatever you do, switch up the routine. If you try a few things over a few weeks and still don't see results, I'd suggest a trip to the doctor to ensure there's nothing else going on. I have nieces that in their 20s had undiagnosed thyroid problems which contributed to weight gain and inability to lose. Your doctor may be able to recommend a good nutritionist as well.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options

I use the MFP values because they're lower than the machine values, but like I said in the original post, I also under-report my workouts to avoid overestimating. My net calorie goal was 1550 but I bumped it up to 1800.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    If you try a few things over a few weeks and still don't see results, I'd suggest a trip to the doctor to ensure there's nothing else going on. I have nieces that in their 20s had undiagnosed thyroid problems which contributed to weight gain and inability to lose. Your doctor may be able to recommend a good nutritionist as well.

I had blood tests done in September and I have a doctor's appointment next week to discuss the results (the lab wouldn't send me a copy). I almost hope I have a thyroid issue - at least then I'd know why nothing seems to be working... although I think my doctor would have called if that were the case!
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Before I got my hrm, my treadmill said I was burning close to 900 an hour. When I got my hrm it said 500 calories and that was working out hard. I was shocked at how far over the machines were, and mfp was off by at least 150 calories.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

I use the MFP values because they're lower than the machine values, but like I said in the original post, I also under-report my workouts to avoid overestimating. My net calorie goal was 1550 but I bumped it up to 1800.

Why did you bump it up? If you bumped it up and aren't losing, then maybe it's not enough of a deficit. Was there a reason you bumped it to 1800?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes on the elliptical because while it's a cardio workout, it also works my leg muscles. I've started adding a few minutes on the rowing machine (can only do about 3 minutes right now because my legs are BURNING!). Both give me cardio, but also help work the muscles of my legs. I do about 25-30 minutes of strength training (arms and abs 3 days a week and legs and abs 2-3 days a week). I'm not losing massive amounts of weight, but my clothes are getting too big. I put on a pair of my pajamas the other night and walked right out of the pants!

Cardio is important for cardiovascular health and endurance, but you also need strength training to keep from losing muscle mass. Muscle also helps to burn fat, so developing and strengthening those muscles will help burn off the fat. But don't stop your cardio because it's good for your heart. I used to get winded climbed a set of stairs, and now it doesn't bother me. I chalk that up to the cardio work on the elliptical, not the strength training. Runners have some of the healthiest hearts around. My 65 year old father runs regularly and his heart rate is much slower than the average 65 year old because his heart accomplishes more with each beat. His doctor said it's due to him running and strengthening his heart. So a good mix of both is important for overall health. The weight loss will be a happy side effect!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    Before I got my hrm, my treadmill said I was burning close to 900 an hour. When I got my hrm it said 500 calories and that was working out hard. I was shocked at how far over the machines were, and mfp was off by at least 150 calories.

Yes, I've had the shock too since I got my HRM. On a positive note, though, consistently monitoring my heart rate has forced me to focus on the intensity of my cardio workouts so that my stamina is now much greater than it was even a few weeks ago.

I also do strength training twice a week with a trainer and 1-2 times per week on my own. I do cardio every day.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Yes, I've had the shock too since I got my HRM. On a positive note, though, consistently monitoring my heart rate has forced me to focus on the intensity of my cardio workouts so that my stamina is now much greater than it was even a few weeks ago.

I also do strength training twice a week with a trainer and 1-2 times per week on my own. I do cardio every day.

It does make you work harder than you were, now that you know that you can push it farther.
  • ranibauer
    Options
    Try interval training. Instead of doing a steady cardio workout, add some extreme intervals with cool downs. For example, sprint full out for 12 seconds and walk for 8 seconds, or however long it takes you to catch your breath, then sprint again. I used to jog, but switched to this and lost 2 inches around my waist (even though my weight didn't change much) by this one change. Both types of cardio are good for you, but this might help. I also recommend adding strength training. Good luck and don't give up!
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    90% of my excercise is cardio and ive lost 5kg in the month so i highly doubt its the excercise, start to watch your food intake more
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well, personally, I've been losing weight on strength training. Last week I didn't do any because it's a pain, and I gained a pound, when I'm pretty sure my eating didn't change that much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you try a few things over a few weeks and still don't see results, I'd suggest a trip to the doctor to ensure there's nothing else going on. I have nieces that in their 20s had undiagnosed thyroid problems which contributed to weight gain and inability to lose. Your doctor may be able to recommend a good nutritionist as well.

I had blood tests done in September and I have a doctor's appointment next week to discuss the results (the lab wouldn't send me a copy). I almost hope I have a thyroid issue - at least then I'd know why nothing seems to be working... although I think my doctor would have called if that were the case!

Why would you want to have a thyroid issue. There are so many other options to get you to lose weight but we need some basics that I don't believe I saw in this thread like your height (I know your age and weight). We need to first establish what your basal metabolic rate is. Then we can determine how much energy you expend throughout the day (TDEE) and the form a deficit. We can discover your caloric needs. So lets take this in steps.
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Did I write this?? I have been trying to figure all this out myself, i'm rarely over my calories i excersize alot and i eat back my calories most of the time but i have only lost 13 pounds in 2 months. Just trying to stay positive!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Did I write this?? I have been trying to figure all this out myself, i'm rarely over my calories i excersize alot and i eat back my calories most of the time but i have only lost 13 pounds in 2 months. Just trying to stay positive!!
    umm. That is huge weight loss. Its almost 2 lbs per week. It just doesnt fall off like water.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Why did you bump it up? If you bumped it up and aren't losing, then maybe it's not enough of a deficit. Was there a reason you bumped it to 1800?

This! Too many calories. I know everyone is different but I need to be between 1230-1300 to lose (& not eat back my exercise calories)!!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bump