Getting family to buy into my exercise time

Options
Hi Guys and Gals, I'm doing my darndest to find the time to exercise with workout DVDs. But every time I tell the family it's my time to exercise, they all try various excuses to eat into my exercise time--help with homework, hungry for more dinner, but I want to tape something, I need you to do this . . . blah blah blah. I have tried telling them I need to take care of myself, that I need some me time, I want to be healthier, etc, but their non-stop demands just suck the motivation right out of me. I have even tried asking them to work out with me, but to them that's just a game to see how long it will take to distract me. How can I get them to leave me alone for 30-45 minutes a day so I can focus on my workout? Would love to leave the house, but with hubby's work schedule and daughter's age, that's really not an option.

Replies

• jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You deserve the time, if they won't leave you alone make them join you that would send my teen and 8 year old running.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You tell them.

Tell them if they're not bleeding or have no broken bones poking out of their skin that you're busy and you'll tend to their needs once you're done with exercising ... and that includes taking the time to get a drink and go to the bathroom.

Then stick to it.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Two things work in our house, in which my wife and I both work and have a 5yo and 2yo in the house.

For evening workouts, we'll go in shifts. One parent occupies/watches the kids while the other runs or does their video.

My wife will get up very early (around 4:30/5:00) and get in her workout before the kids get up and so she still has time to get ready for work.

Not sure if these will help your situation, but it works for our house. :smile:
  • campfirecrafter
    campfirecrafter Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    is it possible to do it before they wake up in the am ? I know that is how my mom did it growing up....

if you aren't a morning person, you might want to try to exercise without announcing it - say wait until your daughter is engrossed in something else, slip away and start exercising in another room? hope she doesn't realize you are missing until you are done.

My other suggestion would be to ignore your family while exercising- tell them you are going to exercise and will be done in 30-60 min and after that you will be available after you are finished. Then go and start and if they try and distract you ignore , ignore , ignore and keep exercising (not sure how old your Daughter is , but school age and over would learn after a week or so it is pointless to bug you until you are done)

Good Luck ... you can find a way to do it!!!
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Present it in this way: there are no questions about it. You are exercising, and you won't be bothered. It's not being cruel, it's just changing your question into a statement.

It also helps to set a schedule. If you always work out at 3 PM- 4 PM, your family should know to be ready to adjust to that (ex, kids should ask for their snack before 3... homework can wait until after 4, etc.) That way it doesn't become one of those "What?? Why didn't you tell me! I have such-and-such urgent problem that needs fixing now!" If they didn't plan ahead to ask you before, it's their problem.

If all else fails, try finding a secluded room where you can do your workouts, even if it means clearing out space and/or moving a TV. Lock the door, and exercise away! :)
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    i would say either do it in the AM before the family is awake or go in the room and lock a door in the later part of the day or evening ..Tell your spouse to work with you with the kids .. its a partnership...
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Luckily my kids are now adults and my husband simply joins me for exercise time. But I remember what it was like trying to go to the bathroom without interuptions - I got to the stage of yelling, when disturbed - "Oh my god, is the house on fire!" The kids soon learned to give me my five minutes!