Potassium levels

Options
I've only been on MFP for about 3 weeks now and have changed my food diary recently to track sodium and potassium. I understand how they balance each other out (in simple terms) but was wondering if I'm low on sodium but also quite low on potassium how will that affect me. I try to eat potassium rich foods every day but am worried about eating too many bananas (I also eat tomatoes, avocado's).

Can anyone suggest some other potassium rich foods and how having not met my daily potassium levels can affect me?

Thx Kathy

Replies

• adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Potassium is vital in organ function. The better your organs function, the greater your fat loss will happen. I did an article on it. Under my photo is a number. Click on it. Potassium is an electrolyte.
  • veni84
    veni84 Posts: 29
    Options
    grapefruits are high in potassium and help boost your metabolism.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    BUMP
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking a multi-vitamin tablet every day? It should help ensure you are taking in enough vitamins and minerals.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking a multi-vitamin tablet every day? It should help ensure you are taking in enough vitamins and minerals.
    They typically do not have much potassium in them. Maybe 100mg.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    They typically do not have much potassium in them. Maybe 100mg.

Also something to note, unless they are pharmaceuticaly graded, (most arn't, ask in the shop, if the dont know, dont get them, make them show you on the packet) then you have no idea what is inside each vitamin. If you have the correct amount of vitamins in that tablet, your body might not absorb it, also the tablet itself most probably wont be digested by your body but pass right through it... xx

To find out if your body will digest, (ok we have different acids in our bodies, but this test has been proven effective) put table in a glass of water, if within the hour, half usually works best, the table has devolved, then your body will do the same, that is how long it takes to reach your gut, if in this time it has not broken down, you might just as well flush them down the toilet when you get them home after buying them xxxxxxxx

Potassium for blood pressure and calcium balance.

Brazil nuts,
    Wholegrains
    Chick Peas
    Pumpkin seeds
    Yeast extract
    Strawberries
    Bananas
    Tomatoes
    Also many more fruit and vegetables xxxx
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone for your feedback. Today's totals are:

Goal Actual
    Sodium 2,500 1,998
    Potassium 3,500 1,280

Potassium actual is only after eating a 2nd banana for the day (I had tomatoes too). Just wandered if my balance was OK or not.

I will be sure to check out the sites and info you all posted too. Thanks so much!

Kathy