JUICE DIET!! Has anyone tried?...x

Options
Hi! Ok i havent been on for a while, i did well before then little man got the best of me has has been keeping me very busy! However, im determined to loose the baby wobble and have about 30lbs to go. I thought i would try a juice diet! My mum has lent me her juicer and from what i have heard/read it seems all good!

Has anyone done this before or fancy joining me? I could do with the motivation!!

Any receipe ideas, tips etc much appreciated as i dont know how long im going to last!! The plan is 2 weeks to start with..... :-$ x

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My uncle has... has lost a load of weight... however, I can't imagine it's too pleasant and well, you'll gain weight when you come back off it and you can't maintain or sustain a diet like it for long... you'll miss your food too much and become deficient in stuff like proteins!
  • Asoum
    Asoum Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't just juice, but also blend fruit/vegies- that way you don't miss out on the fiber in your diet
  • matthewdill83
    Options
    Ive been told by dieticians and trainers that if I had a juicer, to throw it into the trash.. What they say is, yes fruit has good sugars, but when you juice a piece of fruit.. Basically you are taking all the sugar and just drinking it.. The reason eating a piece of fruit is different, is because chewing it, allows it to slowly enter your body..

Now im sure, you are gonna hear people say this is crap, and some that will agree.. I will leave that up to you.. But the common sense behind it is enough for me, id rather just eat a piece of fruit..
  • kezzieh
    Options
    yes that is a good point, i love my fruit and veg, most of the smoothies i have made so far have been veg so not as high in sugars and packed with protein, im going to try and munch the fruit, but its the veg i find hard! im also having a healthy meal in the evening and some healthy snacks, i couldnt live on juice alone, im a real foodie! x
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hi! Ok i havent been on for a while, i did well before then little man got the best of me has has been keeping me very busy! However, im determined to loose the baby wobble and have about 30lbs to go. I thought i would try a juice diet! My mum has lent me her juicer and from what i have heard/read it seems all good!

Has anyone done this before or fancy joining me? I could do with the motivation!!

Any receipe ideas, tips etc much appreciated as i dont know how long im going to last!! The plan is 2 weeks to start with..... :-$ x

Unsustainable and you will gain all your weight back once you start eating solid food again. Rather focus on eating healthier getting all your macro- and micronutrients, teaching you to keep the weight off and to learn more about calorie counting.
  • kezzieh
    Options
    yup got the blender out too! alot of veg isnt 'juicable'! lol x
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I agree with everybody here, you'll be better off eating a balanced diet that is complete with nutrients than this one. Yes it can be effective for rapid weight loss but only for a very short time. However once you revert back to your normal eating, you'll regain all the lost weight & even more because this type of diet will make you lose water & muscle (actually the big chunk of weight loss from any fad diets comes from water & muscle but not fat). Since muscle equals high metabolism so when you lose that it means that your metabolism has decreased, making you more prone to gain fat than when you started. You'll maybe fit into smaller clothes but you will appear saggy & that your body fat remains the same which isn't desirable at all.
  • sabcooke
    sabcooke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer last week and have been incorporating fruit/veg juices into my diet but I still eat other foods too like potatoes, bread and even snacks(mostly healthy) in moderation of course!! This way I'm getting everything. I wouldn't just do a juice diet don't think it would be good in the long term and once you would start to eat normal again surely the weight would creep back on. Hope this helps.
  • redcore
    Options
    Correct matthew - a lot of the fibers are lost as well. I'd much rather use a blender so I get all of the great ingredients of the fruit/vegetable.

As far as a juice diet, I've never tried that...but I HAVE had to be on a liquid diet after jaw surgery in May. Even drinking high quality protein shakes and trying to mix in fruits and vegetables, it was a really crappy experience. It took me awhile to even want to drink protein shakes again after I was able to start working out again. I lost 10 pounds the first week but I stopped around 185 because my body essentially went into starvation mode, and once I started eating solids again (a little at a time, even, being as I was still recovering) that weight came back pretty quickly as my body was desperate to store fats. I've seen people do liquid diets before and have their weight yo-yo up and down. I think it's really unhealthy. After the second week I would kill for something to eat and I literally couldn't, I can't imagine an able-bodied person being able to resist that kind of temptation. I did it for 4 weeks and had an extra 2 weeks of slowly mixing in soft solid foods. I will never do it again if I don't have to.

Beyond that I'm not sure what this does to your muscles. Does your body, when it is shocked into starvation mode, start to chip away at muscle mass because they burn more calories? I don't know and I'd love to hear from someone educated on that sort of thing.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Correct matthew - a lot of the fibers are lost as well. I'd much rather use a blender so I get all of the great ingredients of the fruit/vegetable.

As far as a juice diet, I've never tried that...but I HAVE had to be on a liquid diet after jaw surgery in May. Even drinking high quality protein shakes and trying to mix in fruits and vegetables, it was a really crappy experience. It took me awhile to even want to drink protein shakes again after I was able to start working out again. I lost 10 pounds the first week but I stopped around 185 because my body essentially went into starvation mode, and once I started eating solids again (a little at a time, even, being as I was still recovering) that weight came back pretty quickly as my body was desperate to store fats. I've seen people do liquid diets before and have their weight yo-yo up and down. I think it's really unhealthy. After the second week I would kill for something to eat and I literally couldn't, I can't imagine an able-bodied person being able to resist that kind of temptation. I did it for 4 weeks and had an extra 2 weeks of slowly mixing in soft solid foods. I will never do it again if I don't have to.

Beyond that I'm not sure what this does to your muscles. Does your body, when it is shocked into starvation mode, start to chip away at muscle mass because they burn more calories? I don't know and I'd love to hear from someone educated on that sort of thing.

A great many years ago, food was scarce & people have to hunt for food. Famine happens most of the time but our bodies have this amazing ability to help our ancestors live with it by holding on to its fat storage. So if we are on starvation mode, our bodies would think that there is a "famine" going on & it give signals to our fat cells to hold on to fat. Aside from that our muscles need nutrients too but since there is a "scarce" of food & also our bodies need the energy to function so what it does it do? It will going to cannibalize our muscle tissue instead of fat to use as an energy. Our bodies will do anything in its power to hold on to fat so that we will not "die". That's the main reason why we gain weight more easily once we stop the diet.

EDIT: We were all built exactly like our ancestors & the only difference is our lifestyle. Our bodies cannot tell the difference between famine & a self-imposed hunger. It doesn't care if we want to look good in swim suit, what matters to it is we survive.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's basically a fast, only with some calories and nutrients. As such, you will lose weight, but like any crash diet you will lose more muscle than fat. If you gained the weight in 9 months, it's going to take 9 months to get it off safely. Replacing a meal with juice is a way to cut overall calories and get a blast of nutrients. But you would be better off just eating the vegetables.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    When you begin to lose pounds, levels of the hormone leptin, which is produced by fat cells, begin to drop. That sends a message to the brain that the body's "fat storage" is shrinking. The brain perceives starvation is on the way and, in response, sends out messages to conserve energy and preserve calories. So, metabolism drops.

And then other brain signals tell the body it's "hungry," and it sends out hormones to stimulate the appetite. The combination of lowered metabolism and stimulated appetite equals a "double whammy." And that means the person who's lost weight can't consume as much food as the person who hasn't lost weight.

You need a diet you can stay on forever. For most people, that means high fiber, low fat and low sugar.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/31/141794801/losing-weight-a-battle-against-fat-and-biology
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

Liquid "diets" are temporary. Learn to eat real food. It's about portions and countering calories with exercise.
  • kezzieh
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great replies, its really helpful and lovely to hear everyones different opinions. I am definately still eating solid foods, fruit, veg, protiens and carbs etc...but i really do struggle to eat the daily requirement somedays and with little one its sometimes hard to sit and finish a whole meal!! I dont intend to substitiute any meals, just cut down the calories and boost my vitamins, iron, protein etc with a juice boost! I have done it for three days now and i feel better already, i dont feel that im fasting, starving my body or even cutting my calories, in fact im probably eating more calories as I still have three meals a day and the juice on top. Perhaps I stated incorrectly when i used the term 'Juice Diet!' xx
  • runningonjuice
    Options
    I tried a Juice diet back in early 2010 since then I have lost 70 pounds.

I combined it with running, I went from the couch potato to 5k to running two half marathons.

I lost 70 pounds and kept it off.

There are a lot of naysayers when it comes to juicing and I think you have to give it a try for yourself and see how you feel. Personally it worked for me after trying all the other diets.

I still fast every other month for a few days just to recalibrate my body.

I am always amused by those who people who knock juicing yet have not tried it.

I have a blog (runningonjuice.com) with before and after photos as well as a short video about my story and a starter guide for those who may be interested.