Interval training to lose weight...

Options
Last night while doing my cardio on the elliptical, I started pressing buttons. I'm normally a Quick Start kinda girl, but last night I ended up doing the Interval program for 45 minutes and had a lot of fun with it. Okay, "fun" isn't the right term... I just wasn't bored out of my gourd the entire time.

Can anyone give me some info on the benefits of interval training as opposed to just regular low intensity cardio? Like, how to use it to lose weight.... I'd like to gain as much knowledge as I can so I can do this right.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    Last night while doing my cardio on the elliptical, I started pressing buttons. I'm normally a Quick Start kinda girl, but last night I ended up doing the Interval program for 45 minutes and had a lot of fun with it. Okay, "fun" isn't the right term... I just wasn't bored out of my gourd the entire time.

Can anyone give me some info on the benefits of interval training as opposed to just regular low intensity cardio? Like, how to use it to lose weight.... I'd like to gain as much knowledge as I can so I can do this right.

Thanks guys!
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Here is something I found - it may helps!

If you are serious about losing weight or increasing your level of health, your one-stop solution is Interval Training!

Interval training carries with it many different benefits, allowing you to achieve the maximum amount of progress in the shortest amount of time. Below are some of the benefits associated with interval training, followed by a primer on what interval training is, as well as some sample interval training programs.

Benefits of Interval Training

Keeps your body from adapting to your training program, meaning that your progress will never stagnate
    Cranks up your metabolism for longer periods of time than “standard” cardiovascular training
    Allows you to burn more bodyfat for energy as a result of confusing your body during the interval training session
    Increases your level of cardiovascular endurance as well as the overall strength of your heart and cardiovascular system
    Eliminates the boredom often associated with cardiovascular training sessions
    Increases the release of post-exercise endorphins as a result of the high-intensity nature of interval training
    Boosts your confidence as you realize that you can increase your physical abilities exponentially above previously accepted levels
    What is Interval Training?

Basically, interval training is a method of exercise whereby you are constantly changing the level of intensity of the training session, which keeps your body from being able to adapt to the activity.

The human body is a highly adaptable machine, and as soon as your body adapts to any given type of training, your progress will slow down, and sometimes even stop completely. Even if you keep exercising, you will not see any further progress until you find a way to start confusing your body with a new training protocol.

The concept of interval training itself is very simple, although there are numerous ways in which you can modify your approach in order to get the most out of it.

Whenever you are engaged in any sort of cardiovascular exercise, interval training is simply the act of constantly changing your level of intensity. This is normally done by having certain periods of time when you exercise at one level of intensity, and then other periods of time when you increase that level of intensity.

That same concept can be applied to distance just as easily, however. You keep up a certain level of intensity for a given distance, then increase the level of intensity for a given distance.
  • surlacher
    Options
    I'm no professional, nor do I have any statistics to share but I have been using interval training for the past month and I feel like my workout goes by a lot quicker than if I am simply running at a set pace for 30 minutes. I would encourage you to stay with it!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

Thanks guys!

I am really good at creating interval routines so if you need one for the tred.. I'm your girl :drinker:
  • pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    Awesome! What about for the elliptical though?
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Ususally what I do is 15 mins of the machines intervals on the eliptical and than 25 fo my own on the tred. You can do so much more. I walk or run backwards or skip to the side. For me its alot more fun.
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    On the elliptical sometimes I will do a 5 min warm up and than high intensity for 30-40 sec (heart rate at max (185-190) bring my HR back to mid level (160-170) for 1.5 min and then reapeat, i do this for about 8 times then a cool down. I increase the intensity by increasing the resistance and speed. This works really well for me and keeps me on my my toes! Note that the more inervals you do in a work out the quicker you will reach your max HR and the harder it will be to slow it down, so it gets more difficult the more you do in a series. Another good thing about interval training is your HR stays up longer after youv'e stopped your work out, so the calorie buring period is actually extended, some studies indicate up to 2 hours after.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Yes, interval training allows you to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time by getting your heart rate higher. As mentioned above, interval training also helps your body to continue burning calories long after you have finished your exercise. Lower intensity workouts where your heart rate doesn't get as high only help you to burn calories during the exercise. Not only will you lose more fat this way, but you will be more likely to build muscle as well.
  • jasminet018
    jasminet018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I am really good at creating interval routines so if you need one for the tred.. I'm your girl :drinker: